Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How does one get Open Text?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 08, 2016
How does one activate Open Chat? I know this has already been asked a gazillion times before, but I've tried everything and I just can't get it. It is both frustrating and discouraging. I hope someone can find a solution for me because I'm clueless at this point. I've searched up past threads asking the same question and followed what the people had suggested in the threads, tried to enable it in the settings section and even requested for help for it to be activated (as the Open Text feature had never been there for me under the Parental Controls). I can't remember much from my request, but since they had no way of telling my actual date of birth, my request was denied. I asked if they would accept any form of evidence that I'm of the age required for Open Chat, but said they're not allowed to. I've also asked my friends who were in the same predicament as me before (as in having the Open Text feature non-existent for them and being under 18 when they created their accounts), but they seemed to have had no issue getting Open Chat in the end.

I know for sure I'll be playing Wizard101 in the long run since I love this game too much, but having the chat system for kids (with limited vocabulary) for the rest of those years I'll be playing this game (even when I'm already in my late 20s, 30s or so) doesn't seem ideal and fun to me at all. It's tiring to always have to tell my friends that I don't have Open Chat when they tell me something that appears in dots and it's so, so, so upsetting when you can't even say innocent words such as psychology. It's also very awkward when your friends keep saying things and you have to act like you knew what they were saying lol.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
deathsummoner4 on Oct 14, 2018 wrote:
How does one activate Open Chat? I know this has already been asked a gazillion times before, but I've tried everything and I just can't get it. It is both frustrating and discouraging. I hope someone can find a solution for me because I'm clueless at this point. I've searched up past threads asking the same question and followed what the people had suggested in the threads, tried to enable it in the settings section and even requested for help for it to be activated (as the Open Text feature had never been there for me under the Parental Controls). I can't remember much from my request, but since they had no way of telling my actual date of birth, my request was denied. I asked if they would accept any form of evidence that I'm of the age required for Open Chat, but said they're not allowed to. I've also asked my friends who were in the same predicament as me before (as in having the Open Text feature non-existent for them and being under 18 when they created their accounts), but they seemed to have had no issue getting Open Chat in the end.

I know for sure I'll be playing Wizard101 in the long run since I love this game too much, but having the chat system for kids (with limited vocabulary) for the rest of those years I'll be playing this game (even when I'm already in my late 20s, 30s or so) doesn't seem ideal and fun to me at all. It's tiring to always have to tell my friends that I don't have Open Chat when they tell me something that appears in dots and it's so, so, so upsetting when you can't even say innocent words such as psychology. It's also very awkward when your friends keep saying things and you have to act like you knew what they were saying lol.
I know all too well what you're going through. I put I was 13 years old when I first made my account, and I had to wait exactly 5 years from the day I made it for the Open Chat option to show up. It was so frustrating seeing ... everywhere I go, and I think one of the reasons why Kingsisle hasn't done anything about this is because all their employees have Open Chat. They never had to deal with Text Chat themselves, so they can't sympathize with what you're going through.

Unfortunately, if you put 12 or younger when you first made your account, then you will never get Open Chat. US laws (I forget the exact name of the law in particular) make it so Kingsisle cannot store information about people who are 12 or younger, so if this description matches your situation, then there is technically no age even stored on your account. There is no way around this except to create a new account with Open Chat, or to transfer your characters to another account.

I know how frustrating and discouraging it is -- I wanted to quit the game back then just because I could never communicate properly with all my friends. It's extremely unfair that people who LIED about their ages are able to get Open Chat, while people who are truthful, like you, are suffering because of it. The only thing left that I can offer is a word of encouragement: you say that you will be playing the game for many years to play, so I suggest starting on a new account ASAP. The sooner you do it, the better you will feel in the long-term.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
For many of us who created accounts during 2009 - 2012, the predicament you described is common.

The Master Control Settings were not as how they are now and there was an option to alter your age setting and edit email addresses at the owner's will.

Of course, this has since changed.

So, now, the only option since there isn't much that support can do, (I'm still confused as to why an option within the servers can't just be toggled; especially for players who've clean slates) is:

Create a new account and attempt to further make a Family Account
Endure having text chat until KI makes some improvement to it and give players in your situation a new form of chat or so.
Create a shadow account and let it be your translator.

I know, not really much you can do.

My overall hope though is that they really look into the current system of chat and grant an upgrade to something similar to Open Chat for players who successfully have not been guilty of any valid sanctions.