Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stuck between a storm and an ice place

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 02, 2009
Hi everyone. I currently have

lvl 74
lvl 52

I love the damage and just how quick a battle can end on my storm.
I love just how little damage my ice already takes, and the fact my ice has more health already.

I don't like how little health my storm has, if I miscalculate the math it's game over while soloing.
I don't like how little damage my ice does and how many turns I have to wait to hopefully then end the match.

I keep seeing different things about which school is better for PVE, though I have been seeing more where ice is more useful. I was wondering what you all thought. I do not care at all about PVP. I'm wondering which one is more useful end game or even getting their. Does the damage a storm can do outweigh anything else? Or does the resistance of ice allow for a better chance to win and eventually become strong as well? Look forward to seeing any advice.

Thanks.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Although I have no experience with Ice or Storm, I can tell you that I was able to solo (with the exception of the Jade Oni and Malistaire) all the way into Celestia on my Life Wizard. I have been able to keep soloing, only needing help on bosses beyond that.

Each school has its strengths and weaknesses. It's just a matter of playing to the strengths of each school.

When it comes to PVE, I can guarantee that there are as many opinions on which is the best school as there are Wizards playing the game.

My best advice, is to play what is fun. It is a game after all.

The Ghoststalker brothers
Steven 124
Chris 8

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
You just enlisted two of the most popular schools to play with right now.

Why they're so popular you may ask? Well, you kinda just noted that as well.

If used well, both Diviners and Thamaturges are beasts to be feared!

So, let's analyze each school based on it's cons and pros and how you as a student of each school can work on that.

Now ,

Cons,

- Terrible Defenses - As you suggested, 's defenses (Resistance, Health etc.) are low. So, what do you do?
Well, for instance (this is recommended a bit for most schools), get a pet that provides resistance! Spell Proof and Defy on a pet is excellent and can increase your overall resistances by at least 12%.
Visit the school and learn Tower Shield. Very handy spell, especially when you run into bosses using feints, having pierce etc.
Also, ensure you pick up Healing Current, Storm's very own spell in Avalon!

- Accuracy - So, by level 70, this should no longer be a problem. Your accuracy for should be at least 90%. They're a lot of gear pieces (including jewels) that can have a Diviner's accuracy at 100%. Aim for this so you never have to worry about fizzling again unless you're dispelled or Black Mantled.

Pros,

High Damage - Unmistakable. The damage we Diviners are able to dish out is quite remarkable. Capitalise on this by keeping your damage, critical and pierce stats high! A pet with these talents is useful here as well.

Shorter Time - You noted this as well. Diviners can end battles (especially mob battles) quickly with our rapidly high damage we're able to dish out. Boss battles don't take too long either, but require detailed preparation to avoid being defeated.

Pip Advantage - Unlike many other schools that have to rely on high pip spells to do great damage, doesn't have to. Enchanted Lighting Bats, Kraken, Storm Shark can do heavy damage making the need for spells such as Stormzilla irrelevant. Bear this in mind when fighting and preparing!

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Now, let's consider

Many consider the opposite of , but what many fail to realize is that has a lot of potential too!

Let's take a look:

Pros,

Highest Defenses - No need to explain here. The nice thing is that 's defenses only increases as we level and upgrade gear. The school is a solid damage absorber. It's so good to the fact that you can make quick bathroom runs while in the middle of battle without worry.
Can't do that with storm however...

Not Bad Accuracy - accuracy isn't bad. I highly recommend you take measures on improving it though because the school's spells does fizzle with only 80% accurate.

Great Potential - Ice has a great deal of tools underneath its belt. While battles may not be as quick as a 's, they can still be quick with the right gear. Invest in your damage (use your pet) and eventually, your damage % will be within close realms of rival schools on your character sheet!

Great Support - & aren't the only support schools out there, can do it too. That's why we get spells such as Frozen Armor and Legion Shield.

Cons,

No Heal - Unfortunately, shares the same fate as and does not get it's own school version of it's healing spell, forcing many of us to invest in for assistance here which I recommend you do as well.

Not Enough Wards - also does not have a lot of charms and wards to assist in boosting the overall damage of spells in battles. Train feint to counteract this.

Low Damage Spells - Our spells have one of the lowest base damage of attack range of all 7 schools. It is essential that you enchant before hitting.

Post if you've anymore queries.

Good Luck!

Survivor
Jan 02, 2009
Star Edward on Sep 28, 2018 wrote:
Now, let's consider

Many consider the opposite of , but what many fail to realize is that has a lot of potential too!

Let's take a look:

Pros,

Highest Defenses - No need to explain here. The nice thing is that 's defenses only increases as we level and upgrade gear. The school is a solid damage absorber. It's so good to the fact that you can make quick bathroom runs while in the middle of battle without worry.
Can't do that with storm however...

Not Bad Accuracy - accuracy isn't bad. I highly recommend you take measures on improving it though because the school's spells does fizzle with only 80% accurate.

Great Potential - Ice has a great deal of tools underneath its belt. While battles may not be as quick as a 's, they can still be quick with the right gear. Invest in your damage (use your pet) and eventually, your damage % will be within close realms of rival schools on your character sheet!

Great Support - & aren't the only support schools out there, can do it too. That's why we get spells such as Frozen Armor and Legion Shield.

Cons,

No Heal - Unfortunately, shares the same fate as and does not get it's own school version of it's healing spell, forcing many of us to invest in for assistance here which I recommend you do as well.

Not Enough Wards - also does not have a lot of charms and wards to assist in boosting the overall damage of spells in battles. Train feint to counteract this.

Low Damage Spells - Our spells have one of the lowest base damage of attack range of all 7 schools. It is essential that you enchant before hitting.

Post if you've anymore queries.

Good Luck!

Thanks that's just what I needed to know. I like my storm too much to play the other side where I would have to blade for 8 turns before I could attack. Think I will stick with my storm. My only worry is for end game dungeons I don't want to be everyone is a storm lol