Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Chat Warning?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 18, 2016
Hello Wizards of Wizard101. Just recently, I was having an honest conversation with one of my in game friends about music and who we like to listen to and stuff like that. During the conversation, I said the word "Rappers" which refers to the music term and no I did not use it in an inappropriate context or anything. I used the word as intended and a few seconds later, I got a pop up saying that I got a chat warning and if I continue to infringe the chat, I'll risk my account getting muted or permanently banned! For anyone that knows me in game, I'm an honest soul, I do not curse, and I am not inappropriate in any way, shape, or form. I am just wondering how the game's dictionary scans words and issues sanctions because the warning I got was not justified in any way, shape, or form. Can Sparck or someone help me out with this? I'm literally scared to utter another word in game now on the risk of my account possibly getting permanently muted or banned over nothing. I'm not sure if I should contact support or anything, but I'd like the "warning" on my account removed as I did not break any rules or curse. I love Wizard101 and I wouldn't want to jeopardize the people in this game, curse, or infringe my account in any way, shape, or form.

Sincerely,
Blaze StormSword (Level 101 Diviner, Lore Spell and Promethean Pet Enthusiast)

Survivor
May 18, 2014
It might've just been an accident or a mistake. You really have nothing to worry about unless you actually do something in the future.

Survivor
Sep 13, 2018
I got one today while talking to my friend in a private chat channel about types of pictures we draw or take using cameras. So I hope it's a glitch in their system software and that they fix it soon. I hardly ever talk outside of the private messages or private channels and even then it's only to like 2 people.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Sometimes I think the bot is a little bit over-enthusiastic. It's probably better to be giving a warning to be careful of language when none is needed than to allow a player who is saying inappropriate things to continue without consequence. The bot doesn't make the decisions and when it is triggered a KI employee will check the chat logs and see what was being said. They'll see if it was innocent chat and your account won't be sanctioned...they're not out to get us, they just want to keep the Spiral safe.

It's a horrible feeling to get a warning when we haven't done anything wrong, be it the bot or a player testing their report feature...but your account is safe because it's real people who check the logs. If you're concerned about it you can drop support a nice message asking them to check your account hasn't got any red flags and explain why you're worried...I did that once after some new players decided to spam report me. KI sent a lovely message back reassuring me everything was fine and it wasn't being held against me at all...they also added a nice reminder that sometimes new/young wizards just test the report feature and they'd get an email explaining how the feature is supposed to be used.

I know it is a sickening feeling to get that pop-up when we're innocent and it can feel like the bot is over-sensitive, but perhaps this is better than a player potentially using that word to say something very disturbing and not being stopped? If we haven't done anything wrong, we can trust KI to see that and if they mistakenly sanction your account you can email them to get them to look at it again, though a mistake like this is so rare I don't think we really have to worry about it happening

I hope this reassures you and helps you to feel confident and free to chat in game again

Survivor
Sep 13, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Sep 26, 2018 wrote:
Sometimes I think the bot is a little bit over-enthusiastic. It's probably better to be giving a warning to be careful of language when none is needed than to allow a player who is saying inappropriate things to continue without consequence. The bot doesn't make the decisions and when it is triggered a KI employee will check the chat logs and see what was being said. They'll see if it was innocent chat and your account won't be sanctioned...they're not out to get us, they just want to keep the Spiral safe.

It's a horrible feeling to get a warning when we haven't done anything wrong, be it the bot or a player testing their report feature...but your account is safe because it's real people who check the logs. If you're concerned about it you can drop support a nice message asking them to check your account hasn't got any red flags and explain why you're worried...I did that once after some new players decided to spam report me. KI sent a lovely message back reassuring me everything was fine and it wasn't being held against me at all...they also added a nice reminder that sometimes new/young wizards just test the report feature and they'd get an email explaining how the feature is supposed to be used.

I know it is a sickening feeling to get that pop-up when we're innocent and it can feel like the bot is over-sensitive, but perhaps this is better than a player potentially using that word to say something very disturbing and not being stopped? If we haven't done anything wrong, we can trust KI to see that and if they mistakenly sanction your account you can email them to get them to look at it again, though a mistake like this is so rare I don't think we really have to worry about it happening

I hope this reassures you and helps you to feel confident and free to chat in game again
Thing is I've received and email about it and asked for their "proof". They sent me a single sentence that they took out of context and then claimed they couldn't send the conversation proof due to privacy issues. Thing is I play runecpe too. Their report system blocks out any other players names except yours when looking at evidence like that. So I know for a fact it's not a bot doing it.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Sophia Lifeblood on Oct 4, 2018 wrote:
Thing is I've received and email about it and asked for their "proof". They sent me a single sentence that they took out of context and then claimed they couldn't send the conversation proof due to privacy issues. Thing is I play runecpe too. Their report system blocks out any other players names except yours when looking at evidence like that. So I know for a fact it's not a bot doing it.
With all due respect, I was responding to the OP (CrimsonReaper5). The original post references using the word 'rappers' then getting a pop-up warning in game. This pop-up only happens when you have been reported by another player or the auto-bot detected a possible infraction of the Terms of Use (ToU). It doesn't matter why the report has been sent, the auto-pop-up warns about language and possible consequences of breaking the ToU. This was not a message from a KI employee and was not notification of a sanction.

After being alerted to a player possibly being in violation of the ToU, the chat logs are sent to KI Support who manually read through the chat logs. It is done by a person, not a bot. They make the decision as to whether the player was doing something wrong or not. If they consider the chat to be inappropriate they look at the account history and decide what the most appropriate course of action is. This can be an explanation of something (eg how to use the report feature correctly), muting the account for a certain length of time 9days, weeks, months or even years), or banning the account. They EMAIL the account holder to inform them of any sanction.

If there is no email and your account is running as usual (eg you can log in, you can chat etc) then they didn't consider your words inappropriate. If there is an email and sanctions have been applied to your account you can contact KI about it...but that's not what the OP was talking about.

I don't know your situation because you've said the same thing happened to you but it doesn't sound the same. If you had a pop-up in-game but no email from KI about it but you emailed them anyway...then they said you had misused chat and gave proof you are dissatisfied with...then it sounds like a very different situation than the OP's.

I'm only responding to you to explain the differences because you quoted my response to CrimsonReaper5 and corrected it using a different situation. I hope you get your issue sorted

Survivor
Sep 13, 2018
Victoria FireHeart on Oct 4, 2018 wrote:
With all due respect, I was responding to the OP (CrimsonReaper5). The original post references using the word 'rappers' then getting a pop-up warning in game. This pop-up only happens when you have been reported by another player or the auto-bot detected a possible infraction of the Terms of Use (ToU). It doesn't matter why the report has been sent, the auto-pop-up warns about language and possible consequences of breaking the ToU. This was not a message from a KI employee and was not notification of a sanction.

After being alerted to a player possibly being in violation of the ToU, the chat logs are sent to KI Support who manually read through the chat logs. It is done by a person, not a bot. They make the decision as to whether the player was doing something wrong or not. If they consider the chat to be inappropriate they look at the account history and decide what the most appropriate course of action is. This can be an explanation of something (eg how to use the report feature correctly), muting the account for a certain length of time 9days, weeks, months or even years), or banning the account. They EMAIL the account holder to inform them of any sanction.

If there is no email and your account is running as usual (eg you can log in, you can chat etc) then they didn't consider your words inappropriate. If there is an email and sanctions have been applied to your account you can contact KI about it...but that's not what the OP was talking about.

I don't know your situation because you've said the same thing happened to you but it doesn't sound the same. If you had a pop-up in-game but no email from KI about it but you emailed them anyway...then they said you had misused chat and gave proof you are dissatisfied with...then it sounds like a very different situation than the OP's.

I'm only responding to you to explain the differences because you quoted my response to CrimsonReaper5 and corrected it using a different situation. I hope you get your issue sorted
So because I nothing happened I'm fine and their aren't any black marks on my account? That's actually kind of nice to know. Thanks a million. Makes me feel better lol