Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Open Chat Help?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 18, 2010
So, I just bought a subscription, and I am indeed 18, however I made this account when I was 9 or 10, so I think that's why the option isn't available? I used a valid credit card to get my membership, but when I went to my chat options, open chat wasn't there. Can someone help me out?

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
ReliableDiamondThu... on Sep 22, 2018 wrote:
So, I just bought a subscription, and I am indeed 18, however I made this account when I was 9 or 10, so I think that's why the option isn't available? I used a valid credit card to get my membership, but when I went to my chat options, open chat wasn't there. Can someone help me out?
Unfortunately any account made by someone under 13 can never get open chat.

Federal COPPA* legislation prevents companies from collecting and storing data related to a child under 13 and it is an offence to attempt to work out the age of the 'child'. Once an account is COPPA protected, it can't be unprotected.

These are not KI's rules, it's federal legislation that they must comply with...even if it is badly written and poorly thought out!

*COPPA = The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act 1988

Survivor
Apr 18, 2010
Victoria FireHeart on Sep 23, 2018 wrote:
Unfortunately any account made by someone under 13 can never get open chat.

Federal COPPA* legislation prevents companies from collecting and storing data related to a child under 13 and it is an offence to attempt to work out the age of the 'child'. Once an account is COPPA protected, it can't be unprotected.

These are not KI's rules, it's federal legislation that they must comply with...even if it is badly written and poorly thought out!

*COPPA = The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act 1988
So simply because I made my account as a child I can never have open chat? I can't even contact KI support to gain access to it?