Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why so many Dungeons?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 28, 2017
I am a huge Wiz fan, but I must say, Dragonspyre kind of sucks. You're either walking for, like, 8 minutes (mind you I can't buy perm mounts so I am a bit salty about that) or doing a difficult, annoying dungeon or Gauntlet. As I said, I love the game, my best friend and I had been playing all summer, we finished Mooshu in about a week, but since we started Dragonspyre, we've been playing less and less. Side quests are just irritating, especially after we spent a month cleaning out our Quest Books, so that's off the table. Anyone have any tips for making Dragonspyre more fun?

Roslyn Hawktail
Level 45 Theurgist

Survivor
May 15, 2016
I agree. Dragonspyre was kinda hard and there were a lot of dungeons. What I did to make it more fun was playing with friends. But since you are already playing with one and you said it wasn't as fun I'm not sure.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Actually, you CAN buy a permanent mount! Save up at least 50,000-75,000 gold. Then go into the Crown shop and look for the enchanted broom, a lion or one of the dragon mounts. They are near the bottom of the list of available permanent mounts. When you find them, switch to "Gold" instead of crowns for paying. Voila! You will have a mount.

If you're into crafting, there are also some permanent mounts that you can craft. The recipes are available in Aquila, off Cyclops Lane. You'll have to complete the Mt. Olympus dungeon (level 30 or higher) first, then the recipe becomes available. If you haven't gone there yet, go see Cyrus Drake, Myth school teacher.

Tips for getting through Dragonspyre:

1) Keep in mind the fact that this once was the "end world" of the game. That's the reason why it's a lot more difficult than Mooshu.

2) Stack up side quests - yes, they are tedious - and do them later. Dragonspyre can feel like it's "dragging-spyre," but I found that it seems to go a lot faster if you just stick to the main storyline.

3) If you haven't already done it, get yourself a pet that will help you with healing, defenses or damage. Pets with the right kind of talents can even "cheat" for us and make battles go a lot easier. See the pet section for more help with pets.

4) Questing with a friend does make the game go faster and it's more fun. Find ways to just enjoy each other's company rather than focusing on the tedious slog that some of those dungeons are. Laugh, joke, embrace the challenge. Having the right mindset can really make a difference.

5) When you're fed up or frustrated, take a break. Honestly, I do this all the time when I get sick of low drop rates or cheating dungeons (a problem you'll run into later). When I'm feeling ready for a challenge again, that's when I go back.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Roslyn Hawktail on Sep 16, 2018 wrote:
I am a huge Wiz fan, but I must say, Dragonspyre kind of sucks. You're either walking for, like, 8 minutes (mind you I can't buy perm mounts so I am a bit salty about that) or doing a difficult, annoying dungeon or Gauntlet. As I said, I love the game, my best friend and I had been playing all summer, we finished Mooshu in about a week, but since we started Dragonspyre, we've been playing less and less. Side quests are just irritating, especially after we spent a month cleaning out our Quest Books, so that's off the table. Anyone have any tips for making Dragonspyre more fun?

Roslyn Hawktail
Level 45 Theurgist
Why can't you buy a mount? I saved my gold (not crowns) and got one of the mounts you can buy with gold. You need to hit the gold tab in the crown shop to see if it is for gold- try checking the horses, brooms and lions. If lack of gold is the problem, a lot of areas of DS have transporters. When you enter an area, you could spend some time locating and activating them, so later you can use the porting shortcuts. It is worth it to save gold for at least one mount. If you are not loving Dragonspyre, you could stick to the main quests declining the sides, and save the sides for later in little bites, when you want a change of pace from your main questing area.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2014
Go do stuff in other worlds. LOL

But seriously, you're right I just made it to the hatchery, and it has been a slogfest making it this far.
In between days that I do Dragonspyre quests I go to other worlds to do other quests or just grind for reagents so I can craft housing items or go fishing or anything other than spending half an eternity on yet another dungeon.

That time travel bit in the vault area was pretty cool, though. It's just that the battle system is already pretty slow with the long casting animations, the long spell animations, the repeated animations on each target, and the waiting to build up pips. Everything just seems to get even slower in Dragonspyre.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2017
LordVanya on Sep 18, 2018 wrote:
Go do stuff in other worlds. LOL

But seriously, you're right I just made it to the hatchery, and it has been a slogfest making it this far.
In between days that I do Dragonspyre quests I go to other worlds to do other quests or just grind for reagents so I can craft housing items or go fishing or anything other than spending half an eternity on yet another dungeon.

That time travel bit in the vault area was pretty cool, though. It's just that the battle system is already pretty slow with the long casting animations, the long spell animations, the repeated animations on each target, and the waiting to build up pips. Everything just seems to get even slower in Dragonspyre.
Yeah, we were working on Grizzlehelm as a distraction and were planning on doing Wintertusk too, but my friend's game glitched and she wasn't able to pick up the next main quest in Grizzlehelm, so that option is off the table. And you're absolutely right, everything in Dragonspyre seems very sluggish.

Survivor
Jul 28, 2017
Good news!! She asked a high level friend of hers to help us out, and now we're in Celestia! Thanks to the people who replied, very helpful.

Roslyn Hawktail,
Level 45 Theurgist

Survivor
Jul 28, 2017
Freshta on Sep 17, 2018 wrote:
Actually, you CAN buy a permanent mount! Save up at least 50,000-75,000 gold. Then go into the Crown shop and look for the enchanted broom, a lion or one of the dragon mounts. They are near the bottom of the list of available permanent mounts. When you find them, switch to "Gold" instead of crowns for paying. Voila! You will have a mount.

If you're into crafting, there are also some permanent mounts that you can craft. The recipes are available in Aquila, off Cyclops Lane. You'll have to complete the Mt. Olympus dungeon (level 30 or higher) first, then the recipe becomes available. If you haven't gone there yet, go see Cyrus Drake, Myth school teacher.

Tips for getting through Dragonspyre:

1) Keep in mind the fact that this once was the "end world" of the game. That's the reason why it's a lot more difficult than Mooshu.

2) Stack up side quests - yes, they are tedious - and do them later. Dragonspyre can feel like it's "dragging-spyre," but I found that it seems to go a lot faster if you just stick to the main storyline.

3) If you haven't already done it, get yourself a pet that will help you with healing, defenses or damage. Pets with the right kind of talents can even "cheat" for us and make battles go a lot easier. See the pet section for more help with pets.

4) Questing with a friend does make the game go faster and it's more fun. Find ways to just enjoy each other's company rather than focusing on the tedious slog that some of those dungeons are. Laugh, joke, embrace the challenge. Having the right mindset can really make a difference.

5) When you're fed up or frustrated, take a break. Honestly, I do this all the time when I get sick of low drop rates or cheating dungeons (a problem you'll run into later). When I'm feeling ready for a challenge again, that's when I go back.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven
Also, thanks for the advice. I had completely forgotten you could buy perm mounts. I bought the bengal tiger and she got the lioness.
We were really happy to finish it so thank you so much. We took your advice and it did make it more fun!

Roslyn Hawktail, level 51

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Another option for wizards who need mounts, the daily quest chests sometimes give temp mounts. There are some bosses who also drop temp mounts, like the kraken. There are mount crafting recipes from Rose in the Professor's BOX, when it is around. If you are very lucky, there is a small chance a fight somewhere might give you a permanent Crown only mount too.