Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Suggestion on How to bring in a New Age of Players

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 13, 2010
Hello, KingsIsle and supporters of KingsIsle!

I've been playing Wizard101 since around 2008 on and off and really would love this game to gain popularity. As a returning player, what brought me back to the game was the new updated graphics that make the game look entirely less dated and almost like a whole new game! That being said, I'm sure Wizard101 has seen a MASSIVE influx of returning players with that update which is great news for us all to see some old and new faces! With that being said, here are some more things to consider to keep bringing in new players.

1. Update Krokotopia, Marleybone and Dragonspyre
Should go without saying that these new players you are enticing to play your game currently see these amazing colorful graphics in Wizard City, they deserve renovated Krokotopia, Marleybone and Dragonspyre which in most opinions are the most lacking in texture quality. It is a HUGE difference between Wizard City and Krokotopia currently, strange considering that Krokotopia is where people actually begin to pay.

2. Update the Spellbook user interface to be more Streamlined.

The current Spellbook interface looks old, rusty and is somewhat hard to navigate especially for new players. If we could get a modernized Spellbook that flows easily that would make this game even easier for newbies to understand.

3. Make Wizard101 Free-To-Play through Krokotopia.

There are so many worlds now, what better way to hook new players then to give them another world free up to level 20? WoW did this same thing a few years back and it had a surge of people coming to play the game free.

4. Gold Seamstress

Human Psychology, people want there characters to 'look pretty', and right now W101 makes players forced to wear things they don't want to unless they pay to stitch. If you allow your player base to look the way they want, they can create there own fantasy and become more immersed in the game. Allow 1 free Seam per 18 hours, accept 100 Crowns to reset the timer.

5. More EXCITING Loot Drops
Human Psychology, it is more exciting for players to feel like they've got something rare than just another reagent. If you made the same User Interface used for Pack Openings display what you've won from battles instead of just on the side of your screen, people will feel more excited to see what pop's up next, as well as make people feel rewarded.

6. Allow Spells to be Upgraded

I'm tired of using the same high-level spells over and over again, where is the variety? Lower level spells aren't viable in the higher levels, unless we can upgrade them. 'Upgrade Points' are just like Training Points, where you can upgrade a spell up to 5 times which buff's damage/heal/shield and at 5 points gives a bonus effect. You can buy back Upgrade Points with Mr. Lincoln. Rank one spells will be buffed more dramatically, but high rank spells get less of a buff.

As a loyal player, these are just some things I'd love to see.

- Wolf Blood (Level 58 - Death Wizard)

Administrator
LeBlancTheDeciever on Sep 4, 2018 wrote:

I've been playing Wizard101 since around 2008 on and off and really would love this game to gain popularity. As a returning player, what brought me back to the game was the new updated graphics that make the game look entirely less dated and almost like a whole new game! That being said, I'm sure Wizard101 has seen a MASSIVE influx of returning players with that update which is great news for us all to see some old and new faces! With that being said, here are some more things to consider to keep bringing in new players.

Should go without saying that these new players you are enticing to play your game currently see these amazing colorful graphics in Wizard City, they deserve renovated Krokotopia, Marleybone and Dragonspyre which in most opinions are the most lacking in texture quality. It is a HUGE difference between Wizard City and Krokotopia currently, strange considering that Krokotopia is where people actually begin to pay.

The current Spellbook interface looks old, rusty and is somewhat hard to navigate especially for new players. If we could get a modernized Spellbook that flows easily that would make this game even easier for newbies to understand.

There are so many worlds now, what better way to hook new players then to give them another world free up to level 20? WoW did this same thing a few years back and it had a surge of people coming to play the game free.

4. Gold Seamstress

Human Psychology, people want there characters to 'look pretty', and right now W101 makes players forced to wear things they don't want to unless they pay to stitch. If you allow your player base to look the way they want, they can create there own fantasy and become more immersed in the game. Allow 1 free Seam per 18 hours, accept 100 Crowns to reset the timer.

Human Psychology, it is more exciting for players to feel like they've got something rare than just another reagent. If you made the same User Interface used for Pack Openings display what you've won from battles instead of just on the side of your screen, people will feel more excited to see what pop's up next, as well as make people feel rewarded.

I'm tired of using the same high-level spells over and over again, where is the variety? Lower level spells aren't viable in the higher levels, unless we can upgrade them. 'Upgrade Points' are just like Training Points, where you can upgrade a spell up to 5 times which buff's damage/heal/shield and at 5 points gives a bonus effect. You can buy back Upgrade Points with Mr. Lincoln. Rank one spells will be buffed more dramatically, but high rank spells get less of a buff.

These are some great suggestions Wolf Blood!

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
LeBlancTheDeciever on Sep 4, 2018 wrote:

4. Gold Seamstress

I always had that thought about upgrading spells. It would be cool if Dworgyn looked at us and said: "I updated your Dark Sprite, she adds a death trap now!"

Yeah, these are pretty good suggestions, and yes, at least make the three streets in Olde Town free to play. That, I think would wet your appetite for more.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
As a high level player I strongly disagree that low level spells need upgrade.

e.g. High level ice with ~100% damage boost and near 100% critical and 5 starting pips can blizzard first round for over 2k damage (270 damage plus 300 epic = 570 * 100% damage bonus = 1140, and critical for 2280. Next round they can cast snow serpent for another almost 2k (175 + 300 = 475 * 100% damage plus critical = 1950). And ice is one of the weakest attacking schools. Storm and fire can do over 3K first round. Add four max wizards together and they can do 8-10k first round using only low level spells.

The sun school spells (monstrous, epic, colossal etc) are the upgrades to lower level spells. One of the biggest mistakes people make while farming or for simple battles is to overuse big pip spells when small pip spells with enchants kill quicker. OK, big pip spells and blade stacking often best for bosses or often when soloing, but that doesn't mean that small pip spells aren't useful for killing minions or cleaning up at the end.

Champion
Feb 06, 2010
Michael Bluestone on Sep 12, 2018 wrote:
As a high level player I strongly disagree that low level spells need upgrade.

e.g. High level ice with ~100% damage boost and near 100% critical and 5 starting pips can blizzard first round for over 2k damage (270 damage plus 300 epic = 570 * 100% damage bonus = 1140, and critical for 2280. Next round they can cast snow serpent for another almost 2k (175 + 300 = 475 * 100% damage plus critical = 1950). And ice is one of the weakest attacking schools. Storm and fire can do over 3K first round. Add four max wizards together and they can do 8-10k first round using only low level spells.

The sun school spells (monstrous, epic, colossal etc) are the upgrades to lower level spells. One of the biggest mistakes people make while farming or for simple battles is to overuse big pip spells when small pip spells with enchants kill quicker. OK, big pip spells and blade stacking often best for bosses or often when soloing, but that doesn't mean that small pip spells aren't useful for killing minions or cleaning up at the end.
You make a valid point, but for life school players, I think all of their spells need help when it comes to damage. Granted, a leprechaun can do up to 1k+ at high levels and good gear, but sometimes it would be nice to get a permanent spell like life banshee that adds a trap, that is low level and not shadow. Life is surrounded by healing, and lacks way more damage than ice... and don’t get me stated on the lack of AOE spells for life.

And also there are spells in your deck that just sit there that are low level and old.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I agree 100% with everything the OP suggested. Don't know if I would've had the guts to suggest free to play through Krokotopia but Wizard City definitely.

Love the idea of upgrading spells. I wouldn't mind Leprechaun also throwing up a trap. Bosses in the higher level worlds already have upgraded spells of this manner.

I would like to add this idea. Allow higher level wizards to learn a cheat or two. Something that triggers on a specific instance and you can only learn one or two at most. Say for example there are three specific magical cheats that can be learned per school. I will use life for example.

I Defy Your Theft: Anytime an attack-all spell is cast by an opposing death wizard, every member of my team is granted a 400-point shield.

Mother Earth Protect Me: If I survive an attack with less than 1% of my total health, I revive to half my health. If a 5,000 Health Wizard survives with less than 50 points it triggers this cheat.

My Hypocratic Oath: If a healing that I have cast does more than 1000 points of total heal a 500 point shield is generated as well.

Just my two cents.
Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Jan 01, 2009
There are some really good ideas here. I hope Sparck and the gang pay attention. I love the idea of f2p thru Oldetowne and Krok. Let em all in and hook them soundly :). The idea of us having wizard cheats is off the hook cool. Just think of the possibilities. Well done you guys and girls. We still have brainiacs among us, thank goodness.
Michael

Survivor
Nov 23, 2015
I really hope they implement at least some of these things. These would really attract more players to the game, especially updating more worlds. I'd be a bit bummed out if I got the game, was impressed by how nice WC looks, paid for a membership and then went on to Krok to see that it doesn't look as good.