Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Re-Thinking my choices

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
Hi everyone! I just started playing w101 after taking a break and am at a crossroads. My main wizard is a level 43 Death Wizard who has trained in balance up to sandstorm. I am very interested in the balance tree now and am wondering what I should do. Should I get a balance amulet and go , should I push my death wizard through and use my training pips on this thing that everyone talking about? Can I do both? Should I start a new character? Someone help!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
mynamejeffyes on Jul 11, 2018 wrote:
Hi everyone! I just started playing w101 after taking a break and am at a crossroads. My main wizard is a level 43 Death Wizard who has trained in balance up to sandstorm. I am very interested in the balance tree now and am wondering what I should do. Should I get a balance amulet and go , should I push my death wizard through and use my training pips on this thing that everyone talking about? Can I do both? Should I start a new character? Someone help!
The beauty of being able to make 6 wizards per account is that we can experience other schools fully

Balance as a second school won't be as fulfilling as making a Balance character if you're wanting the full experience of being a Balance wizard. You won't be able to train all their spells even if you have spare training points. If you enjoy the combo of death+balance then a mastery amulet would help you enjoy the combo as fully as possible. You may know this, but they do drop in game so you might like to hang on until level 60 to farm Waterworks (since you're close). They also come up on offer, so keep your eyes open for it being reduced

If you decide to go 'pure' Death and make a separate Balance wizard you might like to watch out for the member benefit of free training point buy-back...it may well be one of the benefits running during the birthday month, especially if it doesn't show before then. Buying back points costs quite a lot of crowns so if you plan on buying them back do not spend ANY more until you have bought them back. The cost goes up with each point you're buying back and there is no option to pick and choose which points you buy back - it's all or nothing.

Personally I'd make a separate Balance wizard and make my Death, death. Later there are a lot less duel gear sets or trainable hits to enchant etc and so many of the useful spells from the second school that you simply can't train, that you're likely to use it less and less. The off-school spells I'd train in are the ones that are useful to my main school.

Off-school spells people often train in include: feint, spirit/elemental blades and traps, tower shield, satyr, reshuffle...and when you get to Celestia you are likely to need training points for Sun School and some Star School spells...later comes your shadow spells etc. PvPers often use/need a few extra training points available for the spells they need in PvP eg dispels, cloak etc

I hope this helps!

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
Hi,

Welcome back to the game!
I do not recommend training in balance if you are a death wizard. You should keep your training points and buy utility spells, such as tower shield, stun block, dispels, etc. Or you can invest your points in the Life school, up until Satyr for additional heals.

Do not buy a balance mastery!

Regarding shadow, once you start the world of Khrysalis, at around level 90, you will progress into the magic of Shadow throughout the storyline. Once you're there, I recommend getting the spell called Shrike.

Don't forget, watching W101 YouTube gameplay/tutorials, reading the wiki, or asking others for help is a great idea.

Explorer
Feb 19, 2010
I have level 125 wizards. When my wizards where lower level, I tried a second school. But once I was over level 50 I found no use for the second school.

Defender
Jul 16, 2014
Not sure what you mean by shadow thing as you will eventually get shadow magic layer in the game. I would say just stick with your death and concentrate more on the death part from now on. If ya like balance then start a new one. You have have like 6 wizards. I am a fire/life and have thought about making a pure life but I have an outfit for my fire that lets me heal almost better than most life’s as I can get my outgoing up to like 147% so I’m not really motivated to go back and do all those quests over again. If your a member you can wait for the free skill point buy back days and then redo your death’s skill point to be all death if that’s what ya want but just an FYI if you do all the quests and side quests like Zeje etc you will have extra TP’s left over. I’m top lever and have done everything and have like 9 or so TP’s left over. Good luck with what you decide!

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
mynamejeffyes on Jul 11, 2018 wrote:
If you really like Balance I'd start a new balance character.

You will not have access to Shadow until well past level 100 and you'll probably have enough training points by then/you get some for free. People will probably advise you to get the Astral spells too. I've not heard of a Death/Balance mix, but if it works for you go for it! Basically, you can do whatever you want, just research if a particular spell will be useful before you buy it. Or feel free to use the Training Point Buyback option.

Sounds fun and good luck! but yeah you can probably do both, just prioritize what you think is most important for your wizard.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Survivor
Jul 18, 2009
Thank you all for your responses! I decided to make a new balance wizard and am just going to get my training pips back with crowns. I'm going to go pure until I can get astral and shadow spells. Thanks for the help!