Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Questions concerning open chat

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 19, 2012
Hello! I have a few questions concerning the Open Chat feature on Wizard101.

Some background: I will be turning 18 this October, and while I have an active credit card on file and frequently make purchases, I do not buy memberships. I am a loyal 'crowns player' and regularly purchase the currency to continue my progress in the game.

Will I be able to enable open chat once I turn 18?
The FAQ I visited mentioned needing to have an active credit card on file and have made purchases in the past, yet it also says membership is required. Does this means the feature is limited to membership players, and not available to active crowns players 18+? Or on the other hand, is it either/or and all active supporters of the game 18+ have access to this feature?

Thank you in advance for all the help!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Amber Hawksmith on Jul 10, 2018 wrote:
Hello! I have a few questions concerning the Open Chat feature on Wizard101.

Some background: I will be turning 18 this October, and while I have an active credit card on file and frequently make purchases, I do not buy memberships. I am a loyal 'crowns player' and regularly purchase the currency to continue my progress in the game.

Will I be able to enable open chat once I turn 18?
The FAQ I visited mentioned needing to have an active credit card on file and have made purchases in the past, yet it also says membership is required. Does this means the feature is limited to membership players, and not available to active crowns players 18+? Or on the other hand, is it either/or and all active supporters of the game 18+ have access to this feature?

Thank you in advance for all the help!
It's about making a payment via debit or credit card, not about what you buy. I was able to activate open chat as a crowns only player, having never bought a membership.

Explorer
Nov 17, 2013
Hello,

You will have open chat if you are 18 years old, and have made a purchase in the past.
I know certain people who are not members but have open chat still.

Defender
Jul 16, 2014
Well first how do you have an active credit card on file when you are not 18? If it is someone else’s name then you’ll have to get your own. Also if it says membership required then yes I believe you have to be a member who pays monthly or yearly. I have a family account and I set up a master password then I was able to change my sons chat to open when it was not previously open. I pay like $13 a month or so for a family account.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I checked the FAQ and it does say that open chat will expire when membership expires. I'm not sure whether it has been changed back to this or if it has just not been updated since they first added open chat options...or maybe there needs to be an active membership on the family of accounts?

Open chat was never planned as a feature but when KI found they had a surprising number of adults loving W101 and those adults begged for less restrictive chat, they listened to their community and made it happen. It started out needing an active membership but players (particularly crowns players) were gutted their chat didn't remain open once verified...again, KI listened and they changed it so that once it was verified the option remained available to the account. I'd be surprised if they had changed it back when they know how much their customers wanted it to stay.

I got open chat before I'd ever had a membership (I was a crowns player). I also found that when I activated it on one account the others in the family of accounts that showed as over 18 were also verified, even the one account that had never purchased anything. I guess since crowns can be transferred to her through the family account settings the payment applies to the group.

I'm confident that you don't need an active membership but as my accounts have active memberships I can't double check! The account I have without active membership has active open chat but this could be because there is an active membership on the other accounts in the family?

Please could someone with open chat and no current membership on any of their linked accounts verify if it stays or goes when the membership expires?