Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Improvements to the maze game

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
I've found two major flaws with the maze pet game, both of which involve powerups. The first issue that involves both powerups is that there's no good indication when a powerup is about to run out. The trail for the powerup seems to last longer than the powerup itself does, so you're left to guess when the powerup will stop working out of nowhere. This is especially a problem with the blue ghost-destroying powerup. I've gotten frozen countless times trying to run into a ghost with it, but it took just a bit too long for me to do so and the powerup ran out while there still seemed to be a trail of particles coming off of my pet. To improve the game, try to make it clearer how much time you have on your powerup somehow. Maybe have the pet flicker a bit (since having the trail itself flicker probably wouldn't be the easiest thing to notice given its particle-based nature) or have a countdown timer display somewhere.

My other problem with the powerups, again with the ghost-destroying one, is that I often run into a ghost to defeat it, and I just pass right through the ghost without doing so. I often go directly through the ghost, clearly touching it, but it doesn't seem to count. I recommend increasing the area of effect of this powerup, or otherwise just making the game more forgiving with how it detects you touching a ghost while this powerup is in use. I don't however think that you should just outright increase the hitbox of the ghosts, as they can already freeze you from a short distance, and hiding in corners is a vital part of being able to consistently get a high score on this game by remaining outside of the ghost's hitbox. Either make it so that the powerup can affect ghosts from a greater distance, or only have the ghost's hitbox increase while the powerup is active, whatever would be easier based upon how you've programmed it.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2009
I too, really wish the Maze game could be changed! It's my favorite pet game because it's really the only one where you're actually moving around with the camera and your pet with the arrow or WASD keys. I have experienced these same problems all my time playing it. I personally wish a mini-overhaul for the Maze Game could be done where it looks more new or there are separate maps/mazes you could run through with different creatures lurking about.