Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 Isn't a Dating Site

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Fable Finder on Jun 26, 2018 wrote:
It seemed to me that Patrick was simply mentioning that as a possibility without actually believing it.
You are correct. When people fight so hard against whats right and what needs to be done to make it right and fair play. It makes me wonder, thinking to myself: Does this person want to be inappropriate to the game's purpose or play unfair towards others for fun? Possibly.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
dayerider on Jun 25, 2018 wrote:
Patrick I would appreciate an apology from you for your reckless accusation you just flung my way. You know nothing about me, and this kind of accusation is damaging, especially when untrue and unfounded.
Sorry you misinterpreted that. When someone fights me that hard about something that can be fixed but may take time, It makes me wonder. You're not the only one I wondered about.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Diving in after skimming the topic. I may regret it. Lol

I don't think people should try to 'date' people in a game in which many are minor children.
End of story.
When people get really crass with their pickup lines or "Flirting" report it. They could be saying those dirty words to a MINOR CHILD.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
The one good thing about it is you can get some fun out of these people role playing weirdly. Every once in a while I'll mess with the rpers, normally it will confuse them and at times cause them to stop with their crazy ideas. I never bully them or insult them, just confusion. It is very effective sometimes.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Fable Finder on Jun 26, 2018 wrote:
The point is not about whether it bothers me. As Patrick Ravenbane has illustrated, this behavior can be damaging to the game.
When it crosses the line from an innocent looking for companionship into sexting or harassment, that's when you should report; otherwise, it's not breaking TOS to ask for a boy/girl friend.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
anecorbie on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:
When it crosses the line from an innocent looking for companionship into sexting or harassment, that's when you should report; otherwise, it's not breaking TOS to ask for a boy/girl friend.
What if they ask someone a lot younger than them? You can't say that's allowed.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
frostednutella on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:
The one good thing about it is you can get some fun out of these people role playing weirdly. Every once in a while I'll mess with the rpers, normally it will confuse them and at times cause them to stop with their crazy ideas. I never bully them or insult them, just confusion. It is very effective sometimes.
XD

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Jun 24, 2018 wrote:
Yes it's just a game but still there are terms of use you must follow. Going around hitting on other players, asking them for dates its dangerous leading to bigger problems no one wants to face and may be against COPPA and Kingsisle terms of use. Parents can file complaints against KI or not have their young teenage daughter or son play anymore thinking Wizard101 is not safe. Bare in mind there are adults even parents who plays Wizard101 don't want to hear this kind of talk I don't think you guys realize how seriously this matter can be and KI does take inappropriate behavior very seriously. Why do you all think there's Menu chat to those under 13 and Text chat to those under 18 and we all know when it comes to Text chat words in yellow such as Girlfriend, Boyfriend etc... . will not pass on from player to player. Words in red will not pass on at all. Players have been muted for hitting on others and asking for dates. Doesn't that ring a bell? "let kids be kids" without teaching them common grounds and common courtesy in public areas including online games is a BAD attitude to have. Wizard101 is not the time and place for inappropriate behavior and I'm sure KI will tell you the same thing
I want you to find me where in the Terms Of Use and Service it specifically says that "Dating on wizard101" isnt allowed. I actually have a friend who met his gf through wiz and have been together for 4 years. Literally rekt and destroyed, also i noticed ypure actually hating on everyone whos not against wiz dating anddddd, my question is. How many times did you get catfished man LOl

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Actually asking for boy/girlfriend can be breaking the rules depending who you say it to, who hears it combine the age of ears and mouth. You can easily get report leading you being muted even banned. If I'm wrong then why are people getting muted for saying that and why is word boyfriend and girlfriend is in yellow for text chat if it's not against the rules

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
elkal99 on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:
I want you to find me where in the Terms Of Use and Service it specifically says that "Dating on wizard101" isnt allowed. I actually have a friend who met his gf through wiz and have been together for 4 years. Literally rekt and destroyed, also i noticed ypure actually hating on everyone whos not against wiz dating anddddd, my question is. How many times did you get catfished man LOl
I didn't make the rules. You did not read my post clear enough. I said "May be" meaning depends. Kingsisle Terms Of Use; Number 13 under Use Of The Site. Read it. It's in other areas in those Terms specifically under Code of Conduct that's also for the game. In fact read all of Terms of Use. It doesn't have to specifically say the word dating. Hitting on, saying I want a girl/ boy, will you be my boyfriend/ girlfriend etc.. words such as that is the same as asking for a date which is mended under inappropriate conduct. KI expect us to use good judgment ( common sense) If you want more information contact Kingsisle costumer support and COPPA. I never been catfished because I'm old enough to know better not to inappropriately act like that. Again, If you think I'm wrong, then why are people being muted up to getting banned from the game for that kind of conduct. Why are certain words color red and some yellow such as boyfriend and girlfriend. Doesn't that ring a bell? Please read all my posts more careful so you understand why I'm speaking up. I said what I needed say and I'm not going to repeat myself again. If you have an issue, take it up with KI. I'm not going to read anymore quotes from those who wish to argue with me. End of story

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Companionship is friendship.
Asking for a girlfriend or a boyfriend isn't asking for friendship and, especially on the internet, can lead to danger, especially for children.

We can forget, being adults and probably more world-wise, than children often aren't and can be manipulated, and misled.

If they just want a friend, or a questing buddy, they'd ask for those things.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
elkal99 on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:
What is legal and what is moral are not the same. (Sometimes they overlap.)

Can follow common sense and courtesy even if things are not officially "outlawed." Many things can be thought of for real life or internet social situations which are not illegal or banned but which are really bad things to do.

I don't want to get off topic by listing some of those things, but we can all think of some, I'm sure.

And that's also presuming a given social structure is a moral one, itself. Some governments, or some social settings, have historically not been, or are not.

If we rely on what is officially forbidden, rather than trying to do what's right by others, we could all easily go down a wrong road.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SparkleTude on Jun 28, 2018 wrote:
What is legal and what is moral are not the same. (Sometimes they overlap.)

Can follow common sense and courtesy even if things are not officially "outlawed." Many things can be thought of for real life or internet social situations which are not illegal or banned but which are really bad things to do.

I don't want to get off topic by listing some of those things, but we can all think of some, I'm sure.

And that's also presuming a given social structure is a moral one, itself. Some governments, or some social settings, have historically not been, or are not.

If we rely on what is officially forbidden, rather than trying to do what's right by others, we could all easily go down a wrong road.
Nicely said, thank you. I'm going to be off topic here. People who fight so hard against whats right and ignore the ruling guidelines from any business possibly are the ones who wants to act up inappropriately or play unfair for fun. It makes me wounder.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2012
Fable Finder on Jun 15, 2018 wrote:
The other day I was in the Commons and there was this group of people trying to get dates. How pathetic is that? Wizard101 is not a dating site, and if you're using it as one you probably need to spend less time gaming so you can brush up on your social skills.

Also keep in mind Wizard101 has players of multiple ages, not just yours.
I agree

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Fable Finder on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:
What if they ask someone a lot younger than them? You can't say that's allowed.
How young is too young? If they're under 13 they will only have menu chat so there's no issue there. KI doesn't have a "Will you be my boy/girl friend?" on the Menu Chat list. Even if the one they ask is as young as 13, how are they to know the player's age? And even then, there's nothing wrong about asking if they will be a boy/girl friend.
It's when a sexual element enters the conversation that it becomes wrong; parents should really talk to their children when playing MMOs and alert them to what's appropriate and what's not.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Jun 27, 2018 wrote:
Actually asking for boy/girlfriend can be breaking the rules depending who you say it to, who hears it combine the age of ears and mouth. You can easily get report leading you being muted even banned. If I'm wrong then why are people getting muted for saying that and why is word boyfriend and girlfriend is in yellow for text chat if it's not against the rules
Learn the differences in Chat in KI: there's Menu Chat, where the player sees only what is said from the menu, there's Text Chat which anyone over 13 may use and which has a strong filter, then there's Open Chat which allows greater freedom of expression; although certain words will not be seen by Text Chatters ( the ones that show as yellow ).

If it's yellow in Open Chat ( available to 18 yrs. and up with a credit card on file at KI ) then that means that KI is aware that players will be dating and it's allowed to older players to ask with Open Chat. If the word boyfriend or girlfriend was completely forbidden it wouldn't be available at all ( even in Open Chat ).
Again, it's when you harass someone by sexual comments that this is where KI draws the line. An innocent relationship isn't going to get you muted or banned.

Defender
May 11, 2013
anecorbie on Jun 25, 2018 wrote:
This whole thread is a big MEH If this bothers you so much, then either turn off your chat or "ignore" everyone trying to date or even go to another, quiet server.
If this thread bothers you so much just don't reply to it. It works both ways.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
anecorbie on Jun 28, 2018 wrote:
Learn the differences in Chat in KI: there's Menu Chat, where the player sees only what is said from the menu, there's Text Chat which anyone over 13 may use and which has a strong filter, then there's Open Chat which allows greater freedom of expression; although certain words will not be seen by Text Chatters ( the ones that show as yellow ).

If it's yellow in Open Chat ( available to 18 yrs. and up with a credit card on file at KI ) then that means that KI is aware that players will be dating and it's allowed to older players to ask with Open Chat. If the word boyfriend or girlfriend was completely forbidden it wouldn't be available at all ( even in Open Chat ).
Again, it's when you harass someone by sexual comments that this is where KI draws the line. An innocent relationship isn't going to get you muted or banned.
I'm aware of the difference of the chat system I used boyfriend/ girlfriend for an example but that's besides my point. My point is as I said, "hitting on someone ( pickup line) asking them out CAN be against the rules depending who you say it to, who heard it and the age of the person" Players can get around the chat system so words can go through regardless how old they are by lying about their age when creating an account possibly looking to scam. All it takes is someone being offended and reporting them for inappropriate conduct that's when KI draws the line not just harass someone by sexual comments. If you don't believe me, take it up with them and COPPA or look it up. Kingsisle Terms Of Use; Number 13 under USE OF THE SITE and under Code Of Conduct which is also for the game. That is my bottom line point. I'm tired of repeating myself. I'm done with this Thread. Enjoy the game.

Survivor
Jan 11, 2015
Fable Finder on Jun 15, 2018 wrote:
The other day I was in the Commons and there was this group of people trying to get dates. How pathetic is that? Wizard101 is not a dating site, and if you're using it as one you probably need to spend less time gaming so you can brush up on your social skills.

Also keep in mind Wizard101 has players of multiple ages, not just yours.
I think people dating in wizard101 is a kind of weird thing. But if people are going to do it they should at least do it with someone they have known for a while. It is disgusting when people go in the commons and ask people out. If you are gonna have a relationship in wizard101 you should at least be in a dorm room or some other place where casual wizard101 players don't have to see your business.

Defender
Mar 24, 2009
A large amount of the "dating" done in this game is done by children who are just old enough to have text chat, but too young to understand what dating actually is. They are the same people who want to get married in middle school.

This kind of thing happens in all games, not just this one. It's just more prominent in this one because it's so easy to interact with other players in public spaces.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
This thread is ridiculous. Any type of medium that allows open communication between players is going to open itself up to the full range of human experience: That includes dating. The top two streamers in the wizard 101 community: Blaze and Tara met through wizard 101 and are currently dating and living together. If as some claim “dating is against the rules” why does KI constantly promote and work together with them? As long as the dating is between 2 consenting individuals of appropriate age and stays within the chat guidelines, it’s pretty obvious that it’s allowed. Plus who are you to define how someone should or shouldn’t play the game? Who are you to call someone pathetic simply because you find what they are doing distasteful?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
"As long as the dating is between 2 consenting individuals of appropriate age"

It's the internet.

How old is anyone? As old as they say they are?

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Jul 4, 2018 wrote:
"As long as the dating is between 2 consenting individuals of appropriate age"

It's the internet.

How old is anyone? As old as they say they are?
Physically, I'm in my 50s

Mentally my wife and parents swear I'm 5

Emotionally, depends on the day.

If anyone needs me I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Steven Ghoststalker

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Area51Alien on Jul 5, 2018 wrote:
Physically, I'm in my 50s

Mentally my wife and parents swear I'm 5

Emotionally, depends on the day.

If anyone needs me I'll be in my blanket fort, coloring.

Steven Ghoststalker
Nice!

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
RedDragon877 on Jun 29, 2018 wrote:
If this thread bothers you so much just don't reply to it. It works both ways.
So, you want to silence those who disagree with any post or opinion? That's censorship. I have just as much right to reply to comments as you do.
If my comment bothered you so much, maybe you shouldn't reply to it. It works both ways.