Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 Isn't a Dating Site

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
The other day I was in the Commons and there was this group of people trying to get dates. How pathetic is that? Wizard101 is not a dating site, and if you're using it as one you probably need to spend less time gaming so you can brush up on your social skills.

Also keep in mind Wizard101 has players of multiple ages, not just yours.

Survivor
Apr 20, 2011
That happens quite often, and it is utterly pathetic. Trying to date people, especially when it makes that person uncomfortable, should be a bannable offense in my opinion.

Survivor
May 25, 2009
Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
let them play the game their way, you play the game your way. Because this game is on the internet, there's going to be people who do and act a certain way while playing the game. *shrugs* It just seems silly to me to make a big deal about this. There's bigger fish to fry.

Explorer
Aug 29, 2011
I think most of us have seen this happen. I'm almost 16 now, but I remember how when I was 9-10, I would be one of those people trying to go around and get a boyfriend.. that's the age of most people who go around doing this, it may be strange but just let those kids be kids.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Anjelina1 on Jun 22, 2018 wrote:
I think most of us have seen this happen. I'm almost 16 now, but I remember how when I was 9-10, I would be one of those people trying to go around and get a boyfriend.. that's the age of most people who go around doing this, it may be strange but just let those kids be kids.
Thank you for the reminder that not all of us playing this game are ah... shall we say more seasoned than others.

This is game geared to children that adults have taken to. We need to remember that the odds are good that the wizard teaming up with you is potentially decades younger than you.

Yes, Wizards is not a dating site, but so long as the wizards in question are not violating the terms of service, let them be.

Does it bug me? A little. But then random strangers asking me for stuff bugs me as well.

Just my two cents

Steven Ghoststalker

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
SurferSlayaPKR on Jun 19, 2018 wrote:
And the point of this thread is..?
Point. This is Wizard101 not Dating101. The purpose of Wizzard101 is to adventure and combat evil to save the spiral and other related games not to look for dates which is inappropriate use to the game.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
dayerider on Jun 19, 2018 wrote:
let them play the game their way, you play the game your way. Because this game is on the internet, there's going to be people who do and act a certain way while playing the game. *shrugs* It just seems silly to me to make a big deal about this. There's bigger fish to fry.
Kingsisle in not dating online. It's an adventure game to combat evil and save the spiral along with other related games. People going around asking for dates is considered inappropriate and a turnoff by many players and may quit the game along with too many outside complaints which can cause a shut down to Wizard101. It happened to other past online games. Parents want their children to be safe from being hit on. For Kingsisle making their games child safe is one of the reasons why Wizard101 is still in business going on 10 strong years. So what we do and say in a big big deal.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Anjelina1 on Jun 22, 2018 wrote:
These is a time and a place to let kids be kids for their own future sake. Wizard101 is not the time and the place for inappropriate and rude behavior. Going around asking for a girl /boy or pretending to be boyfriend girlfriend is considered inappropriate and a turn off by a sum of players Sure people can do what they want but the results can be crucial to the child and the game in the near future.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Jun 22, 2018 wrote:
Kingsisle in not dating online. It's an adventure game to combat evil and save the spiral along with other related games. People going around asking for dates is considered inappropriate and a turnoff by many players and may quit the game along with too many outside complaints which can cause a shut down to Wizard101. It happened to other past online games. Parents want their children to be safe from being hit on. For Kingsisle making their games child safe is one of the reasons why Wizard101 is still in business going on 10 strong years. So what we do and say in a big big deal.
The ONLY way to stop it entirely, guaranteed, is to completely shut off non-specific chatting, and leave regular chatting to groups/friends only. For example, you're sitting in the commons, you can only use menu chat. You're PMing a friend or are in a group of people, you can have unlimited chat within that group only, and nobody outside of it can see it. I doubt that would EVER happen though (nor am I suggesting it SHOULD be done). My point was, you're dealing with people online, in a public format, and they will do things in public they want to do. Nothing short of my idea above will ever stop it. You can ban/mute all the people you want to, but NOBODY stops them from creating another free account and doing it again. What are they going to do, ban a whole IP range because of a few pesky people trying to get a date? No, I SERIOUSLY doubt they would. It's a thousand dollars worth of punishment for a fifty buck crime.

Survivor
Sep 16, 2009
Hate to say this but it's been going on since day one. There have been several weddings and quite a few divorces in real life. Best way to avoid is choose your friends wisely. Good luck

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
dayerider on Jun 23, 2018 wrote:
The ONLY way to stop it entirely, guaranteed, is to completely shut off non-specific chatting, and leave regular chatting to groups/friends only. For example, you're sitting in the commons, you can only use menu chat. You're PMing a friend or are in a group of people, you can have unlimited chat within that group only, and nobody outside of it can see it. I doubt that would EVER happen though (nor am I suggesting it SHOULD be done). My point was, you're dealing with people online, in a public format, and they will do things in public they want to do. Nothing short of my idea above will ever stop it. You can ban/mute all the people you want to, but NOBODY stops them from creating another free account and doing it again. What are they going to do, ban a whole IP range because of a few pesky people trying to get a date? No, I SERIOUSLY doubt they would. It's a thousand dollars worth of punishment for a fifty buck crime.
" What are you going to do, ban a whole IP range because of a few pesky people trying to get a date? No, I SERIOUSLY doubt they would. It's a thousand dollars worth of punishment fifty buck crime". Nice attitude! Who said anything about banning or dollars. Why are you jumping conclusions. The're other ways to solve this looking for a date issue without harming the game and only KI has tools to do that. Who knows, they can be working on a solution now. All I'm saying is something needs to done about this inappropriate behavior before a bigger problem occurs to the game and Kingsisle. Going around and saying: I want a boy!, I want a girl!, will you be my girlfriend, boyfriend etc... which may be against COPPA and Kingsisle terms of use. No one knows how old these players really are and some may very well be looking to scam by using tactics such as those I just mentioned. It can and may and known to happens. That's why KI is working hard to keep Wizard101 being a safe online game for all ages from inappropriate behavior no exceptions. People may opinion against me all they want but I speak the facts.

Survivor
Jun 25, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Jun 22, 2018 wrote:
Stop taking it so seriously, its just a game. Let kids be kids.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
elkal99 on Jun 24, 2018 wrote:
Stop taking it so seriously, its just a game. Let kids be kids.
Yes it's just a game but still there are terms of use you must follow. Going around hitting on other players, asking them for dates its dangerous leading to bigger problems no one wants to face and may be against COPPA and Kingsisle terms of use. Parents can file complaints against KI or not have their young teenage daughter or son play anymore thinking Wizard101 is not safe. Bare in mind there are adults even parents who plays Wizard101 don't want to hear this kind of talk I don't think you guys realize how seriously this matter can be and KI does take inappropriate behavior very seriously. Why do you all think there's Menu chat to those under 13 and Text chat to those under 18 and we all know when it comes to Text chat words in yellow such as Girlfriend, Boyfriend etc... . will not pass on from player to player. Words in red will not pass on at all. Players have been muted for hitting on others and asking for dates. Doesn't that ring a bell? "let kids be kids" without teaching them common grounds and common courtesy in public areas including online games is a BAD attitude to have. Wizard101 is not the time and place for inappropriate behavior and I'm sure KI will tell you the same thing

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Jun 23, 2018 wrote:
" What are you going to do, ban a whole IP range because of a few pesky people trying to get a date? No, I SERIOUSLY doubt they would. It's a thousand dollars worth of punishment fifty buck crime". Nice attitude! Who said anything about banning or dollars. Why are you jumping conclusions. The're other ways to solve this looking for a date issue without harming the game and only KI has tools to do that. Who knows, they can be working on a solution now. All I'm saying is something needs to done about this inappropriate behavior before a bigger problem occurs to the game and Kingsisle. Going around and saying: I want a boy!, I want a girl!, will you be my girlfriend, boyfriend etc... which may be against COPPA and Kingsisle terms of use. No one knows how old these players really are and some may very well be looking to scam by using tactics such as those I just mentioned. It can and may and known to happens. That's why KI is working hard to keep Wizard101 being a safe online game for all ages from inappropriate behavior no exceptions. People may opinion against me all they want but I speak the facts.
Yes, I understand how the internet works, and the harm that can come from it. My point is, which clearly was missed, is that without drastic measures, they wont be able to stop it. If they ban the worlds boy and girl, they'll find ways around the filter. if nobody reports them for filter breaking, they'll keep doing it. If they DO report them, and they get muted, they'll simply create a new account and do the same thing.

I'm not saying KI should allow it to freely happen, but I'm saying that it would take drastic steps to stop it for good. Speak the facts all you want, however, the fact still remains that without a total elimination, it'll NEVER stop. As for the whole dollars thing, you completely missed the point.
That said, I've said my peace on this thread.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
dayerider on Jun 24, 2018 wrote:
Yes, I understand how the internet works, and the harm that can come from it. My point is, which clearly was missed, is that without drastic measures, they wont be able to stop it. If they ban the worlds boy and girl, they'll find ways around the filter. if nobody reports them for filter breaking, they'll keep doing it. If they DO report them, and they get muted, they'll simply create a new account and do the same thing.

I'm not saying KI should allow it to freely happen, but I'm saying that it would take drastic steps to stop it for good. Speak the facts all you want, however, the fact still remains that without a total elimination, it'll NEVER stop. As for the whole dollars thing, you completely missed the point.
That said, I've said my peace on this thread.
It seems you want nothing done about this perhaps you are one of the players who hits on others looking for a date for fun and you don't want it to change? I understand your point. You said it clearly but it's unacceptable to COPPA and Kingsisle. It seems you missed my point when I said " there are other ways to solve this looking for a date issue without causing harm to the game and only KI has the tools to do that" meaning because KI is in the gaming business and we are not, only they know what can be done. KI Is known to surprise us and that is the remaining FACT. So NEVER say never unless you have more knowledge than KI? If you do they will be more than satisfied to hear from you. Again I'm NOT talking about banning. My other point is: I out of many, many and many players do not want Wizard101 to go out of business either by players leaving the game for being hit on when all they want to do is play, parents not allowing their children to play thinking the game is unsafe or filing complaints against KI allowing COPPA to take action just because some people wants to treat Wizard101 a dating game. I've seen this happen to online MMO games before. Maybe some people don't care about Kingsisle's future but most of us do. FACT: the dating game CAN be stopped if everyone cares about Wizard101. Always think positive. It does wonders.

Survivor
Mar 21, 2010
I particularly do not favor this kind of way of playing but in a way its like roll playing, I've seen some really strange things on wizard101. I've seen people making "Families" to "Brotherhoods". I once saw a group of people all wearing all white clothes spamming offensive things in the commons they even made a separate account knowing it would get banned. It's impossible for kings-isle to somehow remove this off the game unless we all go into text chat to be honest which will never happen.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Jun 25, 2018 wrote:
It seems you want nothing done about this perhaps you are one of the players who hits on others looking for a date for fun and you don't want it to change? I understand your point. You said it clearly but it's unacceptable to COPPA and Kingsisle. It seems you missed my point when I said " there are other ways to solve this looking for a date issue without causing harm to the game and only KI has the tools to do that" meaning because KI is in the gaming business and we are not, only they know what can be done. KI Is known to surprise us and that is the remaining FACT. So NEVER say never unless you have more knowledge than KI? If you do they will be more than satisfied to hear from you. Again I'm NOT talking about banning. My other point is: I out of many, many and many players do not want Wizard101 to go out of business either by players leaving the game for being hit on when all they want to do is play, parents not allowing their children to play thinking the game is unsafe or filing complaints against KI allowing COPPA to take action just because some people wants to treat Wizard101 a dating game. I've seen this happen to online MMO games before. Maybe some people don't care about Kingsisle's future but most of us do. FACT: the dating game CAN be stopped if everyone cares about Wizard101. Always think positive. It does wonders.
Patrick I would appreciate an apology from you for your reckless accusation you just flung my way. You know nothing about me, and this kind of accusation is damaging, especially when untrue and unfounded.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
scarletsity on Jun 25, 2018 wrote:
I particularly do not favor this kind of way of playing but in a way its like roll playing, I've seen some really strange things on wizard101. I've seen people making "Families" to "Brotherhoods". I once saw a group of people all wearing all white clothes spamming offensive things in the commons they even made a separate account knowing it would get banned. It's impossible for kings-isle to somehow remove this off the game unless we all go into text chat to be honest which will never happen.
You guys don't know that. It's possibles for any online MMO game to permanently remove anything they like if there's a threat towards the players and the game without going to text chat. But it will take time and a lot of teamwork by redesigning the whole creating an account agreement. If you violate that agreement. The company can put a block you from playing again no matter many accounts you create. This tactic already exists on some online games in order to stay in business..

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
This whole thread is a big MEH If this bothers you so much, then either turn off your chat or "ignore" everyone trying to date or even go to another, quiet server.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
anecorbie on Jun 25, 2018 wrote:
This whole thread is a big MEH If this bothers you so much, then either turn off your chat or "ignore" everyone trying to date or even go to another, quiet server.
I agree, all the talk is on this thread is ridiculous. People are trying to show their concern for Wizard101's future and innocent players who just wants to play this game. When they do speak up, others jump to conclusions (redefining their character) about them without knowing that person first. Sure, I can switch realms and avoid the commons which I do but that doesn't take care of this serious and dangerous hitting on looking for a date problem that can be fixed for this game and KI's sake. Sorry for rambling on.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Fable Finder on Jun 15, 2018 wrote:
The other day I was in the Commons and there was this group of people trying to get dates. How pathetic is that? Wizard101 is not a dating site, and if you're using it as one you probably need to spend less time gaming so you can brush up on your social skills.

Also keep in mind Wizard101 has players of multiple ages, not just yours.
A-men and who knows how old some of these people really are looking to scam. Stay safe

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
anecorbie on Jun 25, 2018 wrote:
The point is not about whether it bothers me. As Patrick Ravenbane has illustrated, this behavior can be damaging to the game.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
dayerider on Jun 25, 2018 wrote:
Patrick I would appreciate an apology from you for your reckless accusation you just flung my way. You know nothing about me, and this kind of accusation is damaging, especially when untrue and unfounded.
It seemed to me that Patrick was simply mentioning that as a possibility without actually believing it.

Survivor
Sep 05, 2009
Surprising to know, but ever since I started playing from then to now, that act of others playing Wizard101 has actually reduced! No longer for seeing that possible boy/girl, level 1-10, wizard standing in the Commons Lake saying, and I quote: "I need a boy." This stuff has decreased, but for the years that have gone by for Wizard101 when it is finally seen again that a person requires a lover, it is far more dramatic to observe if they are standing in the Commons rather when it was just two people standing silently a few years ago.