Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wizard101 Isn't a Dating Site

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Jul 2, 2018 wrote:
This thread is ridiculous. Any type of medium that allows open communication between players is going to open itself up to the full range of human experience: That includes dating. The top two streamers in the wizard 101 community: Blaze and Tara met through wizard 101 and are currently dating and living together. If as some claim “dating is against the rules” why does KI constantly promote and work together with them? As long as the dating is between 2 consenting individuals of appropriate age and stays within the chat guidelines, it’s pretty obvious that it’s allowed. Plus who are you to define how someone should or shouldn’t play the game? Who are you to call someone pathetic simply because you find what they are doing distasteful?
Just because communication has the opportunity for many different experiences doesn't mean it should. Should Wizard101 allow harassment because it is a "human experience"? And so on.

And just because Blaze and Tara are dating doesn't mean it is allowed. In fact I can prove they broke the rules. If Blaze and Tara are living together, they broke the rules against sharing personal information. And even if they shared their personal information on another website, if they met on Wizard101, they had to tell each other about that website on Wizard101. And KingsIsle would still consider it sharing personal information for them to tell each other about that website. How do I know this? Because the support team told me this when I asked if I could make a forum for my Wizard101 friends and I (nothing about this forum idea involved personal information yet it is still in violation of that rule because Wizard101 cannot guarantee the safety of the forum idea).

So, are you now going to say sharing personal information is allowed because "Blaze and Tara aren't banned and KI has promoted them"? Because there is obviously a rule against sharing personal information and the support team confirmed it.

Also you missed something when you say "two consenting individuals". Yes, if these two individuals are following the rules and not exposing anyone to anything inappropriate, there's no issue. But there is an issue with actively searching for someone to date on Wizard101 because, for one, you can expose minors to something inappropriate. And the majority of these people are not being appropriate.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Limwenna on Jul 2, 2018 wrote:
A large amount of the "dating" done in this game is done by children who are just old enough to have text chat, but too young to understand what dating actually is. They are the same people who want to get married in middle school.

This kind of thing happens in all games, not just this one. It's just more prominent in this one because it's so easy to interact with other players in public spaces.
It may be a large amount that is that way, but there is also a large amount that is far from appropriate.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
SparkleTude on Jul 4, 2018 wrote:
"As long as the dating is between 2 consenting individuals of appropriate age"

It's the internet.

How old is anyone? As old as they say they are?
Kingsisle has precautions in place to prevent this, well above and beyond any mmo I have seen.

-If you are under 13 you are assigned menu chat

-Under 18 you are assigned text chat.

If a parent elects to circumvent these guidelines it becomes their responsibility to ensure their child is mature enough to handle the privileges said parent elected to give them.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
This thread is ridiculous. Any type of medium that allows open communication between players is going to open itself up to the full range of human experience: That includes dating. The top two streamers in the wizard 101 community: Blaze and Tara met through wizard 101 and are currently dating and living together. If as some claim “dating is against the rules” why does KI constantly promote and work together with them? As long as the dating is between 2 consenting individuals of appropriate age and stays within the chat guidelines, it’s pretty obvious that it’s allowed. Plus who are you to define how someone should or shouldn’t play the game? Who are you to call someone pathetic simply because you find what they are doing distasteful?
You ask who I am to make this thread. Truth is, I myself am nobody. But this is a moral issue, and being inappropriate on a game with a lot of young people is not moral. Now, you can challenge this if you do not believe morality is objective. But that's a whole other debate.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Eric Stormbringer on Jul 6, 2018 wrote:
Kingsisle has precautions in place to prevent this, well above and beyond any mmo I have seen.

If a parent elects to circumvent these guidelines it becomes their responsibility to ensure their child is mature enough to handle the privileges said parent elected to give them.
People can get around the chat system regardless how old they are by lying about their age while creating an account. I battled with people who are as young as 10 and they have open chat. At first I had no idea how some kids that young can get open chat. That proves the Chat Systems means nothing to dishonest players and that is not a good thing.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Instead of me repeating myself again to answer your questions. Please read all my posts I posted carefully on this thread. If you have any further questions or dis-beliefs, please contact customer support. They will be happy to clear things up for you

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Fable Finder on Jul 6, 2018 wrote:
Just because communication has the opportunity for many different experiences doesn't mean it should. Should Wizard101 allow harassment because it is a "human experience"? And so on.

And just because Blaze and Tara are dating doesn't mean it is allowed. In fact I can prove they broke the rules. If Blaze and Tara are living together, they broke the rules against sharing personal information. And even if they shared their personal information on another website, if they met on Wizard101, they had to tell each other about that website on Wizard101. And KingsIsle would still consider it sharing personal information for them to tell each other about that website. How do I know this? Because the support team told me this when I asked if I could make a forum for my Wizard101 friends and I (nothing about this forum idea involved personal information yet it is still in violation of that rule because Wizard101 cannot guarantee the safety of the forum idea).

So, are you now going to say sharing personal information is allowed because "Blaze and Tara aren't banned and KI has promoted them"? Because there is obviously a rule against sharing personal information and the support team confirmed it.

Also you missed something when you say "two consenting individuals". Yes, if these two individuals are following the rules and not exposing anyone to anything inappropriate, there's no issue. But there is an issue with actively searching for someone to date on Wizard101 because, for one, you can expose minors to something inappropriate. And the majority of these people are not being appropriate.
That's not true, they could have found each other on another site simply by googling the person's name. Type "Eric Stormbringer" into google and it will pull up my information on a number of social media sites. Similarly, they could have searched for each other on another platform without breaking any Wizard 101 rules. Viola. Secondly, dating on wizard 101 needs not involve any exchange of personal information whatsoever. Two people could simply be dating in wiz without knowing or exchanging any outside information. In fact, judging from the comments on this thread- most of the "I need a boy" type people are doing exactly that - similar to kids "marrying" each other on the playground.

If players are not being appropriate that is an issue that is separate from dating. KI already has rules, guidelines and safeguards against inappropriate behavior. If you see players being inappropriate, report them. Simply asking for a boy/girl isn't inappropriate.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
You ask who I am to make this thread. Truth is, I myself am nobody. But this is a moral issue, and being inappropriate on a game with a lot of young people is not moral. Now, you can challenge this if you do not believe morality is objective. But that's a whole other debate.
Once again, your issue is being inappropriate- not dating. If you think that KI isn't doing enough to address inappropriateness in the game then rally for that. Falsely claiming that dating is against the rules and trying to conflate the 2 behaviors does nothing for your cause.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Jul 6, 2018 wrote:
People can get around the chat system regardless how old they are by lying about their age while creating an account. I battled with people who are as young as 10 and they have open chat. At first I had no idea how some kids that young can get open chat. That proves the Chat Systems means nothing to dishonest players and that is not a good thing.
That shifts from being KIs responsibility to being the parents. KI already has precautions in place such as needing a valid credit card on file to gain open chat. If your child is being deceptive enough to pretend to be 18 and appropriate your credit card then you as a parent need to become a lot more involved. This is far, far outside of KIs responsibility.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016

I was referring to people who claim to be kids when they are not, more so than to people who claim to be over 18 if they are not. To me the former is much more dangerous.

Kids use ways around things all the time, though.

I wasn't blaming anything on KI and I know it puts a lot of cautions in place.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014

Thank you!

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
SparkleTude on Jul 6, 2018 wrote:
I was referring to people who claim to be kids when they are not, more so than to people who claim to be over 18 if they are not. To me the former is much more dangerous.

Kids use ways around things all the time, though.

I wasn't blaming anything on KI and I know it puts a lot of cautions in place.
I agree that predators are a concern. However once again I will defer to the guidelines in place
If your child is under 13 they have menu chat which has no way to communicate personal info. Between 13-18 there is the ability to communicate said info albeit with extreme difficulty. However, sharing personal info is against the rules already. That being said, as I've pointed out before- dating and sharing info are 2 separate issues.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
That shifts from being KIs responsibility to being the parents. KI already has precautions in place such as needing a valid credit card on file to gain open chat. If your child is being deceptive enough to pretend to be 18 and appropriate your credit card then you as a parent need to become a lot more involved. This is far, far outside of KIs responsibility.
That's besides my point. What you stated is easier said than done. It doesn't work that way. My point is: There always will be leakers. Needing Your own credit card will not necessarily will not prevent dishonesty. There are always older friends and family Members who may also be dishonest and help create accounts or uses others accounts. It doesn't matter how responsible the parents are. Kids will always find away to get around their parents say. What are you going to do keep taps your kids 24 hour a day by by putting a leash on them, take them wherever you go and follow them wherever they go? No parents will not do that. If you want to talk about responsibility, I never said KI should take all responsibility. Is hovering over your kids; shutting the game off when they act up, dictating who they shouldn't hangout with and where not to go because they can pick up bad habits and bubbling them from reality is called being responsible? Perhaps you are suggesting that. Is every thing I said is the kind of involvement you suggests parents to take? The fact is life is the way the is. There is and never will be a parent 100% responsibility taken from all uncalled for situation. It just doesn't work that and yes,it's also KI's responsibility to maintain a safe MMO online game of all age as possible from any incoming hacking, inside scams and inappropriate conduct such a using pickup lines (hitting on) looking for a date which is danger to all players specially teens. That is why KI is taking tighter actions by monitoring, muting and banning those who acts up inappropriately against the game's us How do I know all this? I pay close attention to reality and Kingsisie Terms including morals (Code of conduct) which is also for game play; non-negotiable. This is my bottom line point. Any rejections, please take it up with KI. They will be happy assist you. Enjoy your game.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Jul 6, 2018 wrote:
Instead of me repeating myself again to answer your questions. Please read all my posts I posted carefully on this thread. If you have any further questions or dis-beliefs, please contact customer support. They will be happy to clear things up for you
That was an excellent suggestion Patrick and I did go to customer service and screenshot their responses. As such we can safely say this discussion is concluded (Full thread here) From my interactions with Customer service I learned.

-KI does not approve of dating but they have no rule against it
-Asking for a boy/girl is not a reportable offense
-Inappropriate behavior/ asking for personal information IS reportable/punishable

Pretty much KI treats dating the exact same way it treats stacking gardens: They do not approve of it but doing it is not against the TOS or the rules, is not reportable and will not get you sanctioned. Any inappropriate behavior beyond dating(sharing personal info/being inappropriate) is reportable/punishable.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
That's not true, they could have found each other on another site simply by googling the person's name. Type "Eric Stormbringer" into google and it will pull up my information on a number of social media sites. Similarly, they could have searched for each other on another platform without breaking any Wizard 101 rules. Viola. Secondly, dating on wizard 101 needs not involve any exchange of personal information whatsoever. Two people could simply be dating in wiz without knowing or exchanging any outside information. In fact, judging from the comments on this thread- most of the "I need a boy" type people are doing exactly that - similar to kids "marrying" each other on the playground.

If players are not being appropriate that is an issue that is separate from dating. KI already has rules, guidelines and safeguards against inappropriate behavior. If you see players being inappropriate, report them. Simply asking for a boy/girl isn't inappropriate.
Convenient of you to go back on what you yourself said:

"The top two streamers in the wizard 101 community: Blaze and Tara met through wizard 101 and are currently dating and living together."

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Once again, your issue is being inappropriate- not dating. If you think that KI isn't doing enough to address inappropriateness in the game then rally for that. Falsely claiming that dating is against the rules and trying to conflate the 2 behaviors does nothing for your cause.
I'm not conflating the behaviors, the people who try to date are conflating the behaviors. You clearly have not seen these people much. The only people I ever see being inappropriate in the game are the people trying to date (I have literally seen nobody else being inappropriate except these people), and almost every single dater I see is being inappropriate (and I'm in the Commons a lot). So, based on this, the problem of inappropriateness comes from these people. If a magic spell was cast and dating on Wizard101 stopped, inappropriateness would catapult downwards and it wouldn't be much of an issue.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Jul 7, 2018 wrote:
That was an excellent suggestion Patrick and I did go to customer service and screenshot their responses. As such we can safely say this discussion is concluded (Full thread here) From my interactions with Customer service I learned.

-Inappropriate behavior/ asking for personal information IS reportable/punishable

Pretty much KI treats dating the exact same way it treats stacking gardens: They do not approve of it but doing it is not against the TOS or the rules, is not reportable and will not get you sanctioned. Any inappropriate behavior beyond dating(sharing personal info/being inappropriate) is reportable/punishable.
The discussion is not over because you missed the point of the thread. The point of the thread was not about whether or not there is a rule against it. The point was about the morality of it all, and you have not said one thing about this.

Also, you forgot what I said: "Yes, if these two individuals are following the rules and not exposing anyone to anything inappropriate, there's no issue. But there is an issue with actively searching for someone to date on Wizard101 because, for one, you can expose minors to something inappropriate. And the majority of these people are not being appropriate."

I went into more detail in my other response submitted around the time same as this one. The problem is not the dating itself necessarily but that the majority of these daters break other rules.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Fable Finder on Jul 8, 2018 wrote:
Convenient of you to go back on what you yourself said:

"The top two streamers in the wizard 101 community: Blaze and Tara met through wizard 101 and are currently dating and living together."
How in the world is that going back on what I said? They did meet through Wizard101. What I did do was point out that it is entirely possible to contact someone you met in Wizard101 without breaking any of the rules.

What I do find convenient is that the only part of my statement you chose to address is completely besides the point.

At any rate, customer service already answered my question. There is no rule against dating and asking for a boy/girl is not a reportable offense.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Eric Stormbringer on Jul 8, 2018 wrote:
How in the world is that going back on what I said? They did meet through Wizard101. What I did do was point out that it is entirely possible to contact someone you met in Wizard101 without breaking any of the rules.

What I do find convenient is that the only part of my statement you chose to address is completely besides the point.

At any rate, customer service already answered my question. There is no rule against dating and asking for a boy/girl is not a reportable offense.
Things need to get approved, read my other posts

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015

Also, you say it's possible Blaze and Tara did not break the rules, but you presented no evidence so it can be dismissed.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014

Not necessarily true. That is not what KI told a sum of players up to a few years ago. Are you sure you were completely honest with KI by telling them exactly what people on this thread told you and you are telling me? Any falsifying other than what was said isn't going to get us anywhere. If hitting on (pickup lines) looking for a date is not a reportable offence, Than why are people being muted and banned by those who reported them for saying things like that. Even I reported some players who were hitting on my young teenage daughter. They got punished I did not. What does that tell you? Does that ring a bell? Sharing personal information IS NOT the only thing reportable and punishable. Trolling: saying and doing things while playing can and may cause harm to the game or putting players in danger including pickup lines looking for a date is also reportable and punishable listed under inappropriate conduct from KINGSISLE TERMS OF USE; number 13 under USE OF THE SITE and CODE OF CONDUCT again that is also for the game. If an act is not against the rules but KI does not approve it will be treated as such when that act is reported. I know what is going on and whats known to happen be reading players comments on KI Twitter. Using "same way it treats stacking garden" is a bad example. Is not the same thing. That's a separate case. It's Common courtesy (morals) to follow what KI DOES NOT approve. You may play the way YOU like what suits you and hopefully you don't get punished. I'm going to play with common courtesy and stay out of trouble. That way I will keep my account w/ open chat for years to come. END OF STORY. I feel all this bickering is going on too long. I'm no longer going to read anymore post from this thread. I'm done here. Enjoy your game.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014

Again, If asking for a boy/ girl or any other pickup lines is not a reportable offense, then why are players getting punished from being reported instead of those and I who reported them. Just because something is not against the rule does not mean KI allows it. Not against the rules means it's not being enforced however KI is cracking down on this matter. I play almost everyday and hanging out in the commons without any PVP and I've noticed a dramatic change related to this issue we are discussing. There are lot less people going around asking for a boy/girl or hitting on people looking for a lover. That's because KI is doing something about it.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I agree that predators are a concern. However once again I will defer to the guidelines in place
If your child is under 13 they have menu chat which has no way to communicate personal info. Between 13-18 there is the ability to communicate said info albeit with extreme difficulty. However, sharing personal info is against the rules already. That being said, as I've pointed out before- dating and sharing info are 2 separate issues.
Yes I know about the guidelines but I think that's ignoring the point that kids get around those all the time. That's only relevant imo to point out the KI guidelines if we're discussing "who's to blame if something goes wrong" which I've stated I'm not blaming KI for anything.

I've seen people cursing and being really foul using "get around words" often enough, including in the Commons. So it wasn't even just the two conversing but everyone in "earshot" so to speak.

"dating and sharing info are 2 separate issues"

They usually go together. I've yet to hear about even an RP game type of scenario where one of the people didn't eventually want the other one's info. Many people use that as a way to try to meet people in real life eventually.
Even without sharing real life info or meeting in real life it's possible to play mind games with someone in various ways I won't list as I don't want to give anyone out there ideas.

I'm not sure what you would define as "dating" since the prospect of a 12 year old "dating" a 20 year old doesn't seem to bother you?

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Fable Finder on Jul 8, 2018 wrote:
I'm not conflating the behaviors, the people who try to date are conflating the behaviors. You clearly have not seen these people much. The only people I ever see being inappropriate in the game are the people trying to date (I have literally seen nobody else being inappropriate except these people), and almost every single dater I see is being inappropriate (and I'm in the Commons a lot). So, based on this, the problem of inappropriateness comes from these people. If a magic spell was cast and dating on Wizard101 stopped, inappropriateness would catapult downwards and it wouldn't be much of an issue.
The problem with this kind of philosophy is that it punishes the innocent along with the guilty. I think we all agree that being inappropriate is against the rules. If you see it then report it. However, the simple act of dating or asking for a date is not inappropriate or against the rules. If dating was banned then yes inappropriate behavior would likely go down. However, then we would punish innocent people who are doing nothing against the rules. Just like name-calling and bullying would decrease if KI removed PvP from the game but doing so would punish all the PvPers who do not engage in these behaviors.