Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Secondary School for Ice

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 05, 2013
I'm new to Wizard101, but I've played a TON of Pirate101. I'm a level 9 ice wizard, and I don't know what secondary school to go with. Can I get some suggestions of which schools I should/shouldn't go for? I've heard Life is a good one. Also, please put in relatively simple terms as I am new and don't know much about the game.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Depends on what you want.

If you want good attacks, choose Balance and/or Death. Training in an attack school like Storm or Fire is not advisable. They have low accuracy, and the lower accuracy you have, the less likely your spell is to successfully cast in battle. You will also lack the school-specific accuracy and damage boosts from Storm and Fire gear. And without the damage boosts, you could do more damage by strengthening your own spells, and you would have better accuracy. Balance and Death give damage boosters, such as Feint (Death) and Elemental Blade (Balance), that you will find useful in strengthening your spells, and I recommend you train in both schools if you choose this route.

If you want to be able to take a lot of damage, choose Life. You will suffer in attack power, so your battles will last longer. However, Ice already has high health and some good defenses. But, if an Ice wizard stays in battle long enough, and they usually do since their battles are long, the Ice wizard can die. However, add on heals to Ice's damage tolerance, and you'll be very hard to kill.

Both are good options; it depends on what your combat style is. But if you wanted, you could reap the benefits of both options and train in Balance, Death, and Life (a lot of people do). The only down side is it will take longer to get certain spells, depending on how you do it.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I have two Ice wizards and completely agree with what Fable Finder told you.

One of my Ice wizards went with Life and Death as secondary schools. She trained Life up to Satyr for heals, and Death up to Feint for stronger attacks.

The other went with Balance and Death as secondary schools. She can use Balance spells for healing (if needed) and uses crafted spells like Loremaster and Savage Paw for utility/combo purposes.

Both of these wizards are pretty close to indestructible. They can heal themselves effectively with help from pets that give them access to 3 healing spells (Flying Squirrel, Fairyfly) for their respective schools. They can heal and support others when working on a team. When soloing, whatever "weakness" their innate Ice spells have can be boosted with the Feints.

Mastering Ice school can be trying during the earlier part of the game, due to weak spells and low accuracy. But just around the time we start to ask ourselves if it's really worth it to keep going, we reach level 38 and finally get our blade spell that boosts our damage by 40%. At the same time, our gear-provided accuracy and resistances really start to kick in. Wow, what a difference it makes! An Ice wizard from about level 40 on up is a boss.

Good luck and welcome!

Alia Misthaven
Fiona Frostweaver, 88
Sierra Winterbreeze, 78

Survivor
Mar 16, 2012
Fable Finder on Jun 15, 2018 wrote:
Depends on what you want.

If you want good attacks, choose Balance and/or Death. Training in an attack school like Storm or Fire is not advisable. They have low accuracy, and the lower accuracy you have, the less likely your spell is to successfully cast in battle. You will also lack the school-specific accuracy and damage boosts from Storm and Fire gear. And without the damage boosts, you could do more damage by strengthening your own spells, and you would have better accuracy. Balance and Death give damage boosters, such as Feint (Death) and Elemental Blade (Balance), that you will find useful in strengthening your spells, and I recommend you train in both schools if you choose this route.

If you want to be able to take a lot of damage, choose Life. You will suffer in attack power, so your battles will last longer. However, Ice already has high health and some good defenses. But, if an Ice wizard stays in battle long enough, and they usually do since their battles are long, the Ice wizard can die. However, add on heals to Ice's damage tolerance, and you'll be very hard to kill.

Both are good options; it depends on what your combat style is. But if you wanted, you could reap the benefits of both options and train in Balance, Death, and Life (a lot of people do). The only down side is it will take longer to get certain spells, depending on how you do it.
Unlike what they said, I wouldn't do a secondary school. Save up your training points until Celestia, where you get astral spells. On my ice, I accidentally did a secondary death and seriously regretted it, (thank goodness for member free buy back days). If you absolutely HAD to do another school, go with death up to feint, and life to satyr. If that style doesn't work for you, you can try what Fable Finder said, because after all, no wizard is the same. Good Luck Wizard!!