Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Punished on behalf of a desserter??

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 30, 2009
Dearest Kings Isle:

Can you pretty please fix it so that, if a player desserts a team, other players aren't punished for it?

To explain: I've used Team-Up to get into a group to fight in a dungeon. After assembling inside -- but before we can even begin -- one player will just abandon the group leaving the rest of us to be short a player. Annoying, yes, but what comes next is even more obnoxious.

So, since the group can't continue without a fourth player, we will have to exit the dungeon and Team-Up again in order to find a replacement; however, when we try to team-up again, one of our remaining three finds that s/he has to wait 10 minutes or so, so it delays everything further. Essentially, one of our remaining team members is being punished on behalf of the "desserter." And you can bet that during that 10 minute delay, we talk trash about the player who abandoned us. It's extremely selfish and annoying if a player "fakes" committing to something, or has something come up without planning ahead.

So, I'm requesting, just as a suggestion: Could you please fix this?!? Thank you so much!

[Insert gif of Patrick Star saying "I love you" here]

Your friend,

Evan T.

Delver
Mar 09, 2018
mollyann812000 on Jun 11, 2018 wrote:
Dearest Kings Isle:

Can you pretty please fix it so that, if a player desserts a team, other players aren't punished for it?

To explain: I've used Team-Up to get into a group to fight in a dungeon. After assembling inside -- but before we can even begin -- one player will just abandon the group leaving the rest of us to be short a player. Annoying, yes, but what comes next is even more obnoxious.

So, since the group can't continue without a fourth player, we will have to exit the dungeon and Team-Up again in order to find a replacement; however, when we try to team-up again, one of our remaining three finds that s/he has to wait 10 minutes or so, so it delays everything further. Essentially, one of our remaining team members is being punished on behalf of the "desserter." And you can bet that during that 10 minute delay, we talk trash about the player who abandoned us. It's extremely selfish and annoying if a player "fakes" committing to something, or has something come up without planning ahead.

So, I'm requesting, just as a suggestion: Could you please fix this?!? Thank you so much!

[Insert gif of Patrick Star saying "I love you" here]

Your friend,

Evan T.
I hate people like this. When I farmed waterworks for the gear, on 5 occasions out of the 7 that I did the dungeon someone either deserted right off the start or left before a major boss. I am able to shotcall the Sylster battle pretty well, but when your main hitter with open chat leaves right before him it's very hard to actually beat the boss due to some people not knowing how to respond to calls or they're a first-timer who does not know the cheats yet and is usually like "what does t1r1 mean?". I explain before every battle that T means traps, and B means blades.

I'm getting off topic. Bottom line is I fully agree with you, and I think that if you leave a Team Up queue right off the start or before the first boss you should be penalized for it - maybe a 15 minute cooldown for using Team Up?

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I highly agree, but perhaps rather then punishment reward loyal players? The lower the rating between flee and runs / dungeon the larger the boost in drop rates is.

If a person has 0% completion / flees he gets 15% increase in drop rates. However if a person has 100% he gets -15% to drop rates. This value varies from the two based on the percentage.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
This happens to me too often in almost any Dungeon such as Waterworks, Darkmoor, Tartarus, etc.. . Every time time I want to do any of those Dungeons, I waste almost a half a days worth of game play do to this 10 minute re-entry countdown timer and that's not fair to me or anyone else. I feel the game should get rid of that timer. The dungeon closes anyway when you start again so why the timer. I also suggest why not show the wizards level above their head and above their school's icon while using team-up. That should help decrease the walkouts. From my experience a lot of players don't like to join a team where there's a great level difference.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
I agree that once someone leaves a dungeon the subsequent leavers should not face a penalty BUT it is a tricky one....

1. We have dungeon recall therefore they have/may not have actually left
2. The dungeon may be easily done with 3 and the person needing help could still be assisted
3. Did they leave or are they still loading????
4......there are likely lots more reasons too lol

I don't think the issue is necessarily the set up of team up, rather it is a people problem (feel free to disagree with me because my mind is open to being changed!).

Sometimes people wait on team up a mighty long time and then they're in another battle. An inexperienced player (or one who has been waiting an eternity) could easily find they enter and need mana/bottles so leave to quickly grab them. I'm not excusing this because they could say it before porting out, but people often click before thinking especially when panicked...plus menu chatters don't have the luxoury of explanation. Perhaps a solution to this could be the dungeon chat idea previously suggested - as soon as you're in a dungeon a chat with you all opens even though you're not connected?

As their recall button still works they could be coming back....but how can we know???

I've heard lots of times that people have entered a dungeon only to find their team of 4 is fewer so they leave...but they didn't allow enough time for anyone loading (likely for the person asking for help or anyone who has re-downloaded the game since going there) to appear! Again, we have no way to ask/check if people are coming as there is no connection and dungeon chat would help in this case.

The issue of whether it can be done without a 4th is subjective and depends on the team, the dungeon and the time constraints etc...I don't think anyone leaving after the 1st abandons ship should face a 10 minute time out.

CONT...

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
CONT...There used to be a feature where we could see stats of those teaming up and those with poor stats were left out; it became elitist which defeats the point of team up that is for struggling players to get help from others. It was (IMO) right to remove that. However I think a chat feature pre-port would be epic so we can set decks and work out a plan together

I do think a dungeon chat option would help with some of the people problems. I know this doesn't help menu chatters but some people (people problems!) won't run a dungeon with a menu chatter and will leave anyway. They're not bad people, they probably consider chatting important in their down time and game play...those of us who don't mind not chatting will still be there for menu chatters

TLDR:
Later leavers should not face a time out
It's not a game flaw with team up; it's usually a people problem
A simplified communication system could help
'Troll' is often too quickly attributed to less able players or those who don't communicate
Remember people may be loading!

PS. If you get a time out you can go to Foulgaze and kill him fast to reset it

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Why a punishment at all? I think there shouldn't be any punishment for leaving a dungeon. There are many legitimate reasons for leaving, most covered by Victoria Fireheart.

Oh yes, some of you will point out that more trolls will be joining team-ups, then leaving without a way to stop them. But don't you see, that if a player is determined to be a troll a time punishment won't stop them? They'll just wait it out then join another team-up; because their idea of fun is ruining someone's day.
Do away with the timer punishments completely.