Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ridiculous Feature request -- My char wants to SIT

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013
If our characters could sit down and take a load off their feet once in a while, I think they would appreciate it.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2013
I LOVE that idea. Especially with all of the nice comfy looking couches from Old Man HueHue in Azteca, my wizard sure would love to sit down once in awhile.

Survivor
Aug 01, 2013
I AGREE! There are times when my wizards just want to sit for awhile. Great "ridiculous" idea!!

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
The problem is will it be abused by players who are immature and would do stuff that is inappropriate? Sadly, I think KI thinks the answer is yes. (They're probably right). I too think that this would be a cool feature, but I also think that KI is worried that it would negatively impact the family friendly nature of the game. It's sad that a few people ruin it for the rest of us. If they were to ever implement something like this- they might have to increase Hall Monitors or something, but I don't know if they'd want to do that. They'd also have to find responsible adults -probably a phone interview- and that all takes time and money to set that up.

A thought that I had at one point was even if it's not allowed as a housing items there could be interactive furniture that exists like in the World. Like maybe you could sit in the seats that are in the classrooms or something? But only because they are in the classrooms. That I think would be cool and if they do add interactable furniture that would be even cooler! Maybe they could make furniture interactive, but you have to be a member to use it? That might deter some of the trolls that would cause problems with it in the first place?

Survivor
Feb 14, 2013
exp613 on Jun 11, 2018 wrote:
The problem is will it be abused by players who are immature and would do stuff that is inappropriate? Sadly, I think KI thinks the answer is yes. (They're probably right). I too think that this would be a cool feature, but I also think that KI is worried that it would negatively impact the family friendly nature of the game. It's sad that a few people ruin it for the rest of us. If they were to ever implement something like this- they might have to increase Hall Monitors or something, but I don't know if they'd want to do that. They'd also have to find responsible adults -probably a phone interview- and that all takes time and money to set that up.

A thought that I had at one point was even if it's not allowed as a housing items there could be interactive furniture that exists like in the World. Like maybe you could sit in the seats that are in the classrooms or something? But only because they are in the classrooms. That I think would be cool and if they do add interactable furniture that would be even cooler! Maybe they could make furniture interactive, but you have to be a member to use it? That might deter some of the trolls that would cause problems with it in the first place?
That is true. There's always one instance where someone ruins it for the majority--very sad.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
I can't find the link for it, but as I recall, KI has stated officially that we will never be able to sit on any furniture due to the abuse that can happen. This is a kid friendly game and they feel kids would be subject to lewd acts between the sitting and the jumping. If I am wrong, PLEASE correct me on this. That said, there is NO reason for a wizard to sit at all.

Mastermind
Nov 27, 2013

How on earth would sitting down be inappropriate or abusive?

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
dayerider on Jun 12, 2018 wrote:
I can't find the link for it, but as I recall, KI has stated officially that we will never be able to sit on any furniture due to the abuse that can happen. This is a kid friendly game and they feel kids would be subject to lewd acts between the sitting and the jumping. If I am wrong, PLEASE correct me on this. That said, there is NO reason for a wizard to sit at all.
There is no reason for chairs or any other piece of non interactive furniture at all either. Yet there is a vast array of choices. What really gets my goat is that most furniture is not scaled to the size of our characters. So not only can we not use any of it, it would look absolutely ridiculous if we could.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
ChicoValerian on Jun 12, 2018 wrote:
I think this is a case where they are being a bit overprotective. Most of the kids playing this game are playing other games too.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
ChicoValerian on Jun 12, 2018 wrote:
If our wizards were allowed to sit, suggestive or inappropriate behavior MIGHT be able to be implied by having other wizards "sit" on laps.

At least that's my thoughts on the subject

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Mr Talon on Jun 13, 2018 wrote:
There is no reason for chairs or any other piece of non interactive furniture at all either. Yet there is a vast array of choices. What really gets my goat is that most furniture is not scaled to the size of our characters. So not only can we not use any of it, it would look absolutely ridiculous if we could.
The reason is for decorative purposes. I'm simply relaying what I believe KI has stated about this option. Since wizards dont need to eat or sleep, having them be able to lie or sit is a waste of code; the game doesn't require either action. I am not the one who makes the game, only plays it, and thus I follow the rules set down by the creators.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Area51Alien on Jun 13, 2018 wrote:
If our wizards were allowed to sit, suggestive or inappropriate behavior MIGHT be able to be implied by having other wizards "sit" on laps.

At least that's my thoughts on the subject

Steven Ghoststalker
That's definitely the concern that I think they are worried about-and why Dayerider also indicates that KI is hesitant to implement that sort of system. (I'm not sure if they said that they'd "never" do it, but I also seem to recall that they had no plans to implement it.) Which I feel goes back to the fact that there is a small percentage that ruin it for the rest of us... Sigh.

As far as being overprotective- ehh, yes and no. While some people might not mind. I most definitely would not want my children exposed to that. In fact, when it comes to my little cousins, if their mother saw that she'd freak and they wouldn't get to play Wizard101 anymore. I am glad that KI puts safety first and because it's family friendly that's why I still play. So I understand their concern, but I also understand that it would be a great feature too.

Again, I'd like to highlight some potential work arounds-because I do think that this would be a cool feature if it could be implemented.
  • Increase Hall Monitors
  • Design the item in such a way that other players can't move their character close to the sitting character (barrier to block other characters while someone is using the item)
  • Have In World Interactable Items (such as classroom seats) that Wizards could use.
  • Limit the Ability to use Furniture to a Member/Crown player benefit. (This is due to players that get banned for language and otherwise make an alternate Free to Play account and if you are paying for something-you are less likely to break the rules.-Not entirely sure how it would affect Crowns players so it might be tricky there...)

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
dayerider on Jun 13, 2018 wrote:
The reason is for decorative purposes. I'm simply relaying what I believe KI has stated about this option. Since wizards dont need to eat or sleep, having them be able to lie or sit is a waste of code; the game doesn't require either action. I am not the one who makes the game, only plays it, and thus I follow the rules set down by the creators.
"Since wizards dont need to eat or sleep".

Yes, our characters don't need to eat and yet KI decided to code a bunch of items of food that can never be used. I know you aren't a developer, and I'm guessing most of us follow the rules here or we wouldn't be posting, so you aren't unique to this. My point is KI codes all kinds of things that have no real purpose.

So implying that allowing a character to sit shouldn't be done because there is no reason for it is wrong. Players actually want to sit. Want to use furniture. Possibly even eat the food just sitting there being 'decorative'. There is no better reason than that.

Sitting could also be given a side effect. Since we are at rest, there could be a bonus to natural healing, or dare I say it also you could generate mana slowly while sitting. Kinda odd that as magical beings that absolutely require mana, we don't naturally create any of it on our own.

As for the abuse code each item as one use. Meaning only one person can use a chair. I don't see anyone complaining when a bunch of characters are standing in the same spot. Or spinning in the same spot, but now sitting in the same spot is a huge problem?

Explorer
Feb 19, 2010
I do not see why sitting or laying are a problem. I am sure KI, if this was ever possible, would only allow one wizard
to sit in that chair, or lay in that bed, like placing an item on a bed. You can place one teddy bear or book on the bed, but will not allow more. As far as inappropriate play, that is why we have report buttons and parents supervision.
Even with the game as it is today. I have had inappropriate advances by other players. If anything inappropriate is going on it would be in a castle, home or dorm. So simple make a parent control. Not allowing your wizard to port to others castles, home or dorm and Not allowing others to port to yours.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015

This is not the problem. The real reason KingsIsle won't implement this is so our wizard won't become a couch potato. They're really concerned about our wizard's health, especially due to all are nutrient deficiencies from never eating food.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Catherine Wilddrea... on Jun 14, 2018 wrote:
I do not see why sitting or laying are a problem. I am sure KI, if this was ever possible, would only allow one wizard
to sit in that chair, or lay in that bed, like placing an item on a bed. You can place one teddy bear or book on the bed, but will not allow more. As far as inappropriate play, that is why we have report buttons and parents supervision.
Even with the game as it is today. I have had inappropriate advances by other players. If anything inappropriate is going on it would be in a castle, home or dorm. So simple make a parent control. Not allowing your wizard to port to others castles, home or dorm and Not allowing others to port to yours.
Not allowing castle entry would be pointless. The trolls will just go elsewhere, but most of the trolls are in the Commons anyway.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2015
Mr Talon on Jun 14, 2018 wrote:
"Since wizards dont need to eat or sleep".

Yes, our characters don't need to eat and yet KI decided to code a bunch of items of food that can never be used. I know you aren't a developer, and I'm guessing most of us follow the rules here or we wouldn't be posting, so you aren't unique to this. My point is KI codes all kinds of things that have no real purpose.

So implying that allowing a character to sit shouldn't be done because there is no reason for it is wrong. Players actually want to sit. Want to use furniture. Possibly even eat the food just sitting there being 'decorative'. There is no better reason than that.

Sitting could also be given a side effect. Since we are at rest, there could be a bonus to natural healing, or dare I say it also you could generate mana slowly while sitting. Kinda odd that as magical beings that absolutely require mana, we don't naturally create any of it on our own.

As for the abuse code each item as one use. Meaning only one person can use a chair. I don't see anyone complaining when a bunch of characters are standing in the same spot. Or spinning in the same spot, but now sitting in the same spot is a huge problem?
We actually do generate mana, it just takes forever.