Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet Cards Do Not Affect Backlash

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Did you guys notice that pet cards don't affect backlash? So, a pet blade won't reduce 10 backlash while you are under shrike. I don't know if this was intended, but it would be lovely to have pet cards be recognized as actual spells. It doesn't really make sense why they wouldn't be. Does anyone else feel the same as me and want this to be changed? I know myself and many others work hard on specific pets for PvP, and it would be great to get the full benefit of some of those cards (like Icebird, Fire Beetle, etc.). Thank you for reading this!

Survivor
Nov 14, 2009
I completely agree! Why is it that our pets can add blades, heal, take away from our traps, and more and not contribute to our backlash? Pets are an essential part to Wizard101 and it makes sense that they apply accurately

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Has the KingsIsle design team looked into this issue yet?

Survivor
Dec 29, 2008
I think this should be fixed, because in high level pvp where every little bit of health counts. Everyone does so much damage and the fact that you get backlash for using the right type of card during shrike or whatever else shadow spell but then take backlash for it because it's a pet card can cost you matches. It's not a very good feeling losing because there's a flaw with a spell.

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
I'm back bumping up this post in the hopes of it being seen by KI staff! The support team told me that posting on the message boards would be the best way to get the design team to fix this issue, so I'm trying. This issue is still an inconvenience to many players.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Exquisite426 on Aug 29, 2018 wrote:
I think this should be fixed, because in high level pvp where every little bit of health counts. Everyone does so much damage and the fact that you get backlash for using the right type of card during shrike or whatever else shadow spell but then take backlash for it because it's a pet card can cost you matches. It's not a very good feeling losing because there's a flaw with a spell.
If they "fixed" this and your pet reduced your backlash, wouldn't that also mean if your pet cast the wrong spell, it would INCREASE your backlash? "Yes! My pet cast a blade. OH NO, it just healed me, twice, Shadow didn't like that!" Food for thought. There are a lot of pets out there with several may cast talents.

Survivor
Dec 29, 2008
Calamity Finch on Sep 18, 2018 wrote:
If they "fixed" this and your pet reduced your backlash, wouldn't that also mean if your pet cast the wrong spell, it would INCREASE your backlash? "Yes! My pet cast a blade. OH NO, it just healed me, twice, Shadow didn't like that!" Food for thought. There are a lot of pets out there with several may cast talents.
Okay, lets say they do fix it, wouldn't it be common sense not to have maycast talents on a pet if you use shrike frequently in pvp,? Besides at high level pvp most people use ward pets. I feel like you're grasping at straws. And before you say plenty of people don't pvp, in pve how often do people shrike (I guess they forgot convert exists)? Almost never, so if KI fixes this it wouldn't affect pve very much.

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
Exquisite426 on Sep 20, 2018 wrote:
Okay, lets say they do fix it, wouldn't it be common sense not to have maycast talents on a pet if you use shrike frequently in pvp,? Besides at high level pvp most people use ward pets. I feel like you're grasping at straws. And before you say plenty of people don't pvp, in pve how often do people shrike (I guess they forgot convert exists)? Almost never, so if KI fixes this it wouldn't affect pve very much.
This was posted in Halston's Lab, not the pvp discussions. This would affect me, because I do use it often in pve, to get a big hit on a high level enemy while I'm building pips, traps, and blades for my own ice attack. Shrike dislikes wards too, so those pvp warding pets will be increasing the backlash too, and backlash goes through shields. I don't want to stop using my pets with casts, nor do I want to stop using shrike, but I'd have to stop one of them, if this was changed.

Also, if it goes for one shadow spell, it would probably be changed for all of them, so under Shadow Sentinel, if you had a pet with a may cast attack talent, that would increase the backlash, as do the heals, though a taunting pet would decrease it. Shadow Seraph would increase backlash if your pet casts blades, traps, or damage. The Dark Shepherd, Dark Nova, and Dark Fiend would dislike those warding and healing pets too.

It does seem like when the pet chooses to cast something, it should not count, and when we choose the card it does. Until I read this thread, I had not realized the pet cards added to our deck were not counting for backlash. If it has to be that all pet cards and may casts either count, or do not, then I'd rather it stayed as it is, with it being a way to cast something at a time when you would usually get a backlash punishment.

Would it bother you if those warding pets start counting for shadow backlash?

Survivor
Nov 18, 2009
Calamity Finch on Sep 20, 2018 wrote:
This was posted in Halston's Lab, not the pvp discussions. This would affect me, because I do use it often in pve, to get a big hit on a high level enemy while I'm building pips, traps, and blades for my own ice attack. Shrike dislikes wards too, so those pvp warding pets will be increasing the backlash too, and backlash goes through shields. I don't want to stop using my pets with casts, nor do I want to stop using shrike, but I'd have to stop one of them, if this was changed.

Also, if it goes for one shadow spell, it would probably be changed for all of them, so under Shadow Sentinel, if you had a pet with a may cast attack talent, that would increase the backlash, as do the heals, though a taunting pet would decrease it. Shadow Seraph would increase backlash if your pet casts blades, traps, or damage. The Dark Shepherd, Dark Nova, and Dark Fiend would dislike those warding and healing pets too.

It does seem like when the pet chooses to cast something, it should not count, and when we choose the card it does. Until I read this thread, I had not realized the pet cards added to our deck were not counting for backlash. If it has to be that all pet cards and may casts either count, or do not, then I'd rather it stayed as it is, with it being a way to cast something at a time when you would usually get a backlash punishment.

Would it bother you if those warding pets start counting for shadow backlash?
Thanks for sharing your perspective on this issue!

I also think maycast talents shouldn't affect backlash because the may casts are out of our control. My post is just about how the cards your pet gives you don't affect backlash like a normal card would from your deck, and it seems like that shouldn't be the case. I almost always choose to not use my pet cards while in shrike because removing backlash is so important, and I wish I could use those cards instead of discarding them. I hope the design team would be able to work it out so may casts continue to not affect backlash, while still giving us this fix.

I know it might seem like I'm being overdramatic, but this issue has seriously affected me during several PvP matches, where you need every advantage you can get (and therefore that is why I spent time making specific card-giving pets). And you almost always need to use shrike to be effective at max level PvP.

It's much less of an issue in PvE because an extra 10 backlash will likely not make you lose the battle, and generally you defeat the enemies while still in shrike, so the backlash has no significance at all.