Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Pet kiosk, good start, FAR from great

AuthorMessage
Defender
Sep 29, 2010
The hatching kiosk is probably one of the greatest, most brilliant, helpful updates that has ever come to the game in years. Players can hatch with a pet of their dreams without having to hunt down other players or beg and get shot down by someone’s rudeness, something I’ve seen far too much.

Though the kiosk is good, it’s FAR from great.

The positive things: You can hatch at basically any time you want, you can find any school of pet, whether it be fire, ice, life, death and any type of pet you want, an acid rain core, a charged bull, an ornery kookaburra, with the click of a button.

Though with that being said, there’s quite a bit about the kiosk that makes me say “Ugh, WHY?”

The negative things about the kiosk: Having to sift through dozens or possibly hundreds of pets one at a time by clicking a left or right button and having wait for that pet you saw to be available for hatching again and having no darn clue how much longer it’s gonna be.

I really think the hatching kiosk needs a nearly complete overhaul

When looking through pets, say, a list of all wandering eyes in the kiosk, the selection of pets should be structured more like purchasing something from, say the bazaar, all listed in a vertical row.

The pet’s name in the center, the talent symbols on the right to show you what talent types they have; all critical, triple damage double resist, lots of heals, etc which can all be viewed in a small window when the cursor is over the pet’s name like when viewing another player’s gear. Plus how many more hatches the pet has before it needs to be removed, how many more minutes until it can be hatched with again and possibly a checkbox you can check to alert you when the pet is ready to hatch again and will teleport you directly to the hatching kiosk if you click the “teleport” button in the message.

Perhaps even a “find friend’s pets” section where it will look up all pets your friends currently have in the kiosk. The friend’s kiosk could also be private, where your friend can hold a pet that only you can hatch with and will alert them when the hatch has been completed. Such as saving that shiverous knight you’ve had your eye on for so long.

The friend’s pets will be in a different hatching section, instead of being open to any player to hatch with, pets in the friend’s pets section can only be hatched with friends, such as if my friend has a pet I need and don’t have time to meet up with her. Her pet will sit in the friend’s hatch section, untouchable by anyone but me or her other friends and when its hatched with by me or another one of her friends, it will alert the owner of that pet.

KingsIsle you’ve done a great job with this kiosk but it’s time you make it PERFECT, please take these ideas into consideration. My entire Facebook group has agreed the kiosk is a wonderful addition to this game we all love and cherish but allot more needs to be done to make it what it needs to be.

Survivor
Aug 31, 2010
I agree, these are absolutely wonderful ideas for improvements.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
I agree, the creation of the kiosk is one of the best features in some time. Yet it's so clunky to operate. I'm not sure how the developers overlooked how tedious it can be to sift through all those pets. Still I don't give KI credit enough for the hard work that was invested, but yes it does need some more work.

Btw, I really like the find friend’s pets idea.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
CaptainAureus on May 20, 2018 wrote:
The hatching kiosk is probably one of the greatest, most brilliant, helpful updates that has ever come to the game in years. Players can hatch with a pet of their dreams without having to hunt down other players or beg and get shot down by someone’s rudeness, something I’ve seen far too much.

The positive things: You can hatch at basically any time you want, you can find any school of pet, whether it be fire, ice, life, death and any type of pet you want, an acid rain core, a charged bull, an ornery kookaburra, with the click of a button.

Though with that being said, there’s quite a bit about the kiosk that makes me say “Ugh, WHY?”

The negative things about the kiosk: Having to sift through dozens or possibly hundreds of pets one at a time by clicking a left or right button and having wait for that pet you saw to be available for hatching again and having no darn clue how much longer it’s gonna be.

When looking through pets, say, a list of all wandering eyes in the kiosk, the selection of pets should be structured more like purchasing something from, say the bazaar, all listed in a vertical row.

The pet’s name in the center, the talent symbols on the right to show you what talent types they have; all critical, triple damage double resist, lots of heals, etc which can all be viewed in a small window when the cursor is over the pet’s name like when viewing another player’s gear. Plus how many more hatches the pet has before it needs to be removed, how many more minutes until it can be hatched with again and possibly a checkbox you can check to alert you when the pet is ready to hatch again and will teleport you directly to the hatching kiosk if you click the “teleport” button in the message.

Perhaps even a “find friend’s pets” section where it will look up all pets your friends currently have in the kiosk. The friend’s kiosk could also be private, where your friend can hold a pet that only you can hatch with and will alert them when the hatch has been completed. Such as saving that shiverous knight you’ve had your eye on for so long.

The friend’s pets will be in a different hatching section, instead of being open to any player to hatch with, pets in the friend’s pets section can only be hatched with friends, such as if my friend has a pet I need and don’t have time to meet up with her. Her pet will sit in the friend’s hatch section, untouchable by anyone but me or her other friends and when its hatched with by me or another one of her friends, it will alert the owner of that pet.

KingsIsle you’ve done a great job with this kiosk but it’s time you make it PERFECT, please take these ideas into consideration. My entire Facebook group has agreed the kiosk is a wonderful addition to this game we all love and cherish but allot more needs to be done to make it what it needs to be.
I agree that this has been one of the BEST updates ever! It has opened up hatching to EVERYONE instead of it being a potential minefield of rejection and mockery. I am so so glad this is here

I agree that there are definitely things that would improve it and make it more user-friendly. I'd also choose for the pets to be listed in pages as you suggest, it would make it much easier to find what is there and it can refresh in a similar way to the bazaar. As it stands it is impossible to know how many pets are in a section and difficult to go through them then find the one you want again after going through them! I'd love to see this changed to be more user-friendly

I don't like the idea of 'friend hatching' and think that it would go against the essence of inclusivity that the kiosk represents, hatch peppers being the reward for openly sharing. Friends can easily tell us what pet they have up and we can search for it. With improved search features it will be even easier to do that. They can also check the timer or arrange with you when they will list/relist it so you get the highest opportunity of hatching...and with so many pets listed that chance is very high! Most of all, if they're friends we always have that pet available to hatch via the sigil, while those using the kiosk do not.

I totally agree with you that the kiosk is excellent but that it could be far more user-friendly. I would love to see KI change the way pets are listed to make them more easily 'searchable'.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
Mr Talon on May 21, 2018 wrote:
I agree, the creation of the kiosk is one of the best features in some time. Yet it's so clunky to operate. I'm not sure how the developers overlooked how tedious it can be to sift through all those pets. Still I don't give KI credit enough for the hard work that was invested, but yes it does need some more work.

Btw, I really like the find friend’s pets idea.
Yep, I suggested find friends pets in test realm as a quick easy way to find good pets. Unfortunately didn't get supported.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Michael Bluestone on May 21, 2018 wrote:
Yep, I suggested find friends pets in test realm as a quick easy way to find good pets. Unfortunately didn't get supported.
Sorry to hear that, just keep posting your opinion on the matter. Eventually, someday, maybe?

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
CaptainAureus on May 20, 2018 wrote:

I agree with making it easier and how it can be tiresome to continuously press the arrow buttons, however, I think one of the reasons why it was made how it is, is so that everyone has a fair chance of finding pets that they like and the previous pet they originally hatched with. Someone with a very slow connection would probably have a difficult time hatching with the pets that they want, since anyone with a fast Wi-Fi can easily have an advantage over them, as well as the 'campers', which are the players who stick around and wait for their desired pet to be up once again, much like the people you see waiting for reagents to be sold in the Bazaar. And we all know how frustrating that can get. I can't imagine how many times I have bought reagents that I needed from the Bazaar, only to be discouraged with a notification that says "Sorry, but that item has been sold". Having a pet version of the Bazaar would be chaotic and too competitive lol. Great idea, but that's just my opinion though and how I imagine things would be if that were to happen.

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
deathsummoner4 on May 22, 2018 wrote:
I agree with making it easier and how it can be tiresome to continuously press the arrow buttons, however, I think one of the reasons why it was made how it is, is so that everyone has a fair chance of finding pets that they like and the previous pet they originally hatched with. Someone with a very slow connection would probably have a difficult time hatching with the pets that they want, since anyone with a fast Wi-Fi can easily have an advantage over them, as well as the 'campers', which are the players who stick around and wait for their desired pet to be up once again, much like the people you see waiting for reagents to be sold in the Bazaar. And we all know how frustrating that can get. I can't imagine how many times I have bought reagents that I needed from the Bazaar, only to be discouraged with a notification that says "Sorry, but that item has been sold". Having a pet version of the Bazaar would be chaotic and too competitive lol. Great idea, but that's just my opinion though and how I imagine things would be if that were to happen.
I've thought about this too. Did they deliberately make it hard to find good pets so you have to 'farm hard' like you do in dungeons?

But I think not. It is just badly designed. I have max stat triple doubles, quad criticals etc on there for a week without any hatches. I think the supply of pets is actually quite high, and with them reappearing every hour supply shouldn't be a problem at all. If there is a problem, the one hour number can be adjusted up or down. Or the ten hatch limit.

Whoever decided to sort pets by pedigree is overestimating how important that is. It would be much more useful to sort on stats, talents, etc. Or find friends pets so you can easily find them at least. See someone with a good pet - friend them and then you can easily find their pet in kiosk and they get a pepper as a reward.

Delver
Oct 18, 2009
My biggest issue with the kiosk is that if you want hatching peppers someone has to hatch with your pets but if your pets aren't all that great to begin with you kind of have to try and make some decent pets that people actually want to hatch with, even then there's so many pets in there it would be a wonder if your pets are seen at all.

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
Michael Bluestone on May 23, 2018 wrote:
I've thought about this too. Did they deliberately make it hard to find good pets so you have to 'farm hard' like you do in dungeons?

But I think not. It is just badly designed. I have max stat triple doubles, quad criticals etc on there for a week without any hatches. I think the supply of pets is actually quite high, and with them reappearing every hour supply shouldn't be a problem at all. If there is a problem, the one hour number can be adjusted up or down. Or the ten hatch limit.

Whoever decided to sort pets by pedigree is overestimating how important that is. It would be much more useful to sort on stats, talents, etc. Or find friends pets so you can easily find them at least. See someone with a good pet - friend them and then you can easily find their pet in kiosk and they get a pepper as a reward.
I reckon it should just be sorted into talent categories rather than stats. That way anyone can easily and quickly find the pets they want. For example, Damage (must have at least 3 damage talents to fit into this category), Critical (must have at least 2 critical talents to fit into this category), Ward (must have at least 2 ward talents to fit into this category), Healing (must have at least 2 healing talents to fit into this category), Energy, Battling Utility (pets with maycast talents like Plague, Legion Shield and Shatter + including heals), Universal (a pet with talents like Proof, Defy, Giver, Bringer, Critical Block, Critical Striker, etc.) and Other (pets with a mixed variety of talents or doesn't fit into any of the other categories).

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Discord Spiders on May 23, 2018 wrote:
My biggest issue with the kiosk is that if you want hatching peppers someone has to hatch with your pets but if your pets aren't all that great to begin with you kind of have to try and make some decent pets that people actually want to hatch with, even then there's so many pets in there it would be a wonder if your pets are seen at all.
I think if your pet is up for the full week and gets no hatches they give you a hatch pepper for offering it. That could amount to 30 hatch peppers a week without getting a single hatch.

I may be missing something but I'm not really sure why people who are not interested in pets would want peppers since they can only be used for pet related crafting.

Defender
Sep 29, 2010
Thank you all for the kind feedback and WOW over 1200 views.

I did a little more brainstorming and even thought of a “favorite pets” section where if you check off the pet as a favorite, you can just go to your favorite pets section and find them instantly instead of having to look through the list for them, which will save even more time at the hatching kiosk.

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
I kind of agree, it's a cluster cloud of pain to use