Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Another Death Rant

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 08, 2012
Id just like to say a few things that as a death wizard really gets on my nerves.

Death is a school of patience. I usually solo when I quest, but on the off chance that I do quest with someone I never really get to do anything.
Its usually when I go questing with myth, fire, or storm.
Their strategies and my strategy is completely different, I get that.
(Im only level 63 right now, I mostly use scarecrow and skeletal dragon)
My thing is, Id like to actually get a chance to cast a spell before you insta kill all.
I dont even get a real chance to build up properly because Im so focused on dealing damage and it doesnt even do much damage to begin with.
It angers me further when I get accused of never doing anything.
I can feint, and blade others, and curse etc. but only if I get first slot, if I dont, its pointless because of how fast and strong other schools attacks are, it wouldn't matter if I were there or not.
Maybe when Im a higher level with more spells it'll change, but for now I feel like the fact that Im slower makes me weaker.

(Just for the heck of it, heres how I usually go about things)
First and second round : feinting
Third and fourth round : cursing
Fifth and sixth round : blades
Seventh round : vengance or amplify, whatevers there
Eighth round : attack
--
In a full team in say a dungeon, its over around the third or fourth round.

I dont know if its a problem with my deck? Something Im missing? A big misunderstanding? Lack of communication? I just don't know, and Im awfully tired.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
The same lament can be said for a life wizard.

Your schedule of attack mirrors my own, except I occasionally throw a heal into the mix.

I don't even bother equipping an attack spell when I know I'm joining a party. No expects (nor wants) me to attack. Everyone expects to be fully healed when they are still above half health. (there have been some nice exceptions)

Steven Ghoststalker

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Now, here's the thing. Most of us use a simple strategy (regardless of school) whenever it comes on to mob battles.

We use a few blades, aura (sometimes), then hit. - The thing is, it's more simpler for some schools than others given the school's current arsenal.

The schools you just listed out happen to fall under this simple category; that is, they have spells (AoE) not requiring a lot of pips to deal heavy damage.

Now, slower schools such as and will find it very difficult to keep up, why? (The school's AoE's are five pips and higher and in the case of , it's eight pips!). - Not to mention their low damage in comparison.
This is obviously more than enough time for the hitters to do away with basic mobs within group battles.

Now, while times have changed and many wizards invest in Damage Dealing pets to compensate, the fact of the matter is, the pips the spells require haven't changed, and with Elucidate being retired a while back, will never will.

Also, let's not forget the sterotypes that surrounds each school. Many persons view death as how you eluded to, a school that it's only jobs is to place up negative charms on enemies (Plague, Bad Juju) and traps (Feint, Curse).
As a result, if you don't do this and you attempt to hit (especially if your damage is low) you're ridiculed. - I've seen this happen countless times, not on my though (No one can play me like that), but on others.

Things should hopefully improve once you update your pet and arsenal (Deer Knight for example).

Good Luck!

Also, keep your head held high!

Just a game at the end of the day.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
I'll be honest here.

With Death, often we play a support role when we are teaming up with others. As you mentioned, schools like Storm, Fire, Myth, etc have faster hits and stronger spells. Since those other schools can hit so hard and so fast, it makes the most sense to support them as hitters.

So the first thing you want to do when you're working with others, is settle on everyone's role in the battle. If you're not the designated hitter (hammer), then your job is to support. You will be playing more like a Balance wizard and therefore you should make a special "Support Deck" for the occasion. Place your Feints and Curses so that the person who will hit can use them, also use your Dark Pact to donate blades. Cast Plagues and Bad Jujus to weaken the enemy.

Death is a very versatile school and can support just as well as Balance can, the key is to change your focus and work together as a team. Tell people you want to go first so you can absorb damage and help them set up bigger hits. Good communication helps.

Sometimes Death is the best choice as a hitter, however. On those occasions, go ahead and set up as you normally do. The other people in the battle will support you and help you set up quickly, as long as there has been some communication and agreement on roles beforehand.

If you want to make yourself capable of setting up faster hits, you can try to either farm the Loremaster for the Deer Knight spell, or get ready to craft it. You have to be at the Legendary level of crafting, I think. (That is, you must have finished the Zafarian crafting quest). The Deer Knight is a 5-pip AoE/DoT combo spell that is well worth the effort of getting it. It's stronger than Scarecrow, and faster to cast.

Alia Misthaven, 124
Fallon Raven, 89

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
Death is the ultimate come from behind victory school, in that you take a beating, but once you hit, you heal yourself and get ready for the next fight. If you quest with others, perhaps agreeing to what your role is BEFORE starting would be a good idea. Feint is great, but is NOT needed in every situation. My death RARELY uses the spell and I do just fine. The problem with death is its power build. You can do it a few ways, but some ways cost more; using Dark Pact and Feint eat up pips and prolong the fight. Here's an idea to consider:

Round 1 Blade
Round 2 Hit with your best single target spell (or deer knight if you have it)

This way, in round 2, you get to do something instead of power building.

The way I treat my death is like this (as an example):

Round 1 Pet Item blade
Round 2 School Blade
Round 3 TC Blade
Round 4 Hit

I dont waste any time with spells, other than life sapping spells, that use my pips, unless it's a solo boss fight. Every time you use Feint, you put off a round when you can hit and drags out the fights. Hope this helps

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
Jamesdeanann on May 1, 2018 wrote:
Id just like to say a few things that as a death wizard really gets on my nerves.

Death is a school of patience. I usually solo when I quest, but on the off chance that I do quest with someone I never really get to do anything.
My thing is, Id like to actually get a chance to cast a spell before you insta kill all.
I dont even get a real chance to build up properly because Im so focused on dealing damage and it doesnt even do much damage to begin with.
I can feint, and blade others, and curse etc. but only if I get first slot, if I dont, its pointless because of how fast and strong other schools attacks are, it wouldn't matter if I were there or not.
Maybe when Im a higher level with more spells it'll change, but for now I feel like the fact that Im slower makes me weaker.

--

I dont know if its a problem with my deck? Something Im missing? A big misunderstanding? Lack of communication? I just don't know, and Im awfully tired.
It sounds like you might do better if you have 2 decks; one for soloing and another for team work.

Currently your strategy in the team seems to be the same as if you were solo. You're doing all the group set up (feints and curses) then your hit set up (blades and aura) then hit....by which time other people have bladed up and hit, using your feints and curses to ensure the kill.

If you are happy to play support when you're in a team you could pack a couple of different feints (only feint up the boss) and a couple of elemental blades for your team mates. Have a couple of heals you can use on them or everyone (fairy and unicorn, pigsie if you have it), maybe a couple of towers, cleanse, pierce and shatter. An emergency reshuffle could be appropriate if you're worried they will run out of hits if you don't have any. If you're after the hitters in the battle ring you can end on a unicorn

If you want to hit too, then blade a couple of times with different zero pip blades (your school blade plus a pet/item card blade or a tc blade), throw a feint onto the boss if needed and hit using the gargantuan enchant. If you're after the other hitters you may not get to cast your hit but they saw you build for it and put it in. If their hits fail you will get to finish off the boss. If you're before them you will get to hit and they'll finish the boss if you don't kill.

You may find that having a mix of the 2 decks works best for you, eg the attack deck but have cleanse, pierce, shatter, elementals in tc just in case they would work better for the team once you're in battle but be careful not to overload your deck. You'll know if your deck is overloaded because you'll often find you're experiencing 'deck fail' where you're getting the wrong spells up. If this happens reduce the spells you carry...if you're worried you have too few then pop in an emergency reshuffle.

I hope this helps and you get to have more fun when participating in team battles

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Can I be the squeaky wheel here and say something annoying but I believe true and necessary?

Please do not feint in the first or second round or even first half of the battle, if you are battling with other wizards!

Know what happens then?
  • The enemy puts up a tower shield. I can't remove it with a wand hit because then I remove your feint also with a low hit wand spell.
  • I can't use the single attack I was going to use because then it removes your feint.
  • I can't use an attack all enemies spell, even if it's badly needed to remove some enemies for the lower health wizards' sakes, because then I remove your feint.
  • I can't do anything really except blade and trap and I'm not that type of fighter or wizard. I just want to hit.

So if you're battling with others, please, use feint later in the battle and use it strategically, just before your big hit or someone else's big hit. Until then please use your school blades, school traps, help other players, or use smaller hits, or wait and pip up....like the rest of us. PLEASE.
I have spent so many team ups ready to hit and can't because someone put feint first round. UGH One of my biggest pet peeves and one reason I prefer to solo (but I also like to answer calls for help, so...)

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Area51Alien on May 2, 2018 wrote:
The same lament can be said for a life wizard.

Your schedule of attack mirrors my own, except I occasionally throw a heal into the mix.

I don't even bother equipping an attack spell when I know I'm joining a party. No expects (nor wants) me to attack. Everyone expects to be fully healed when they are still above half health. (there have been some nice exceptions)

Steven Ghoststalker
You should quest with me then. Or someone just like me.

An explorer here for fun and entertainment. Someone who is not competitive but does enjoy teamwork.

I don't mind how anyone else plays unless they cork up my own play especially after I ask them not to because it corks me up. I'm not sure where that phrase came from I've never typed it before. Lol but that's what it feels like. Such as round 1 feint. Great so much for the big pip spell my deck just handed me....Or the attack all with the spell added that makes it stronger...I recently answered a team up with someone who feinted all enemies asap. I finally asked them not to and then every round they were asking "can I feint? can I feint?" This was after their feints kept stopping me from doing anything and I had pointed out 'I can't remove his shield because of feint' and the shields were slowing us down so feint was having the reverse effect intended...I finally said OK. And IMO that feint slowed us down again. Can it be said...I know this is not a popular opinion but...I hate feint. It's so over used, and should really be used with strategy or for those tricky big bosses that have a zillion health and cheat hits and heal themselves. Those, you need to knock out with one big hit, and those, people usually use feint...strategically.

I have been in battle with many many life wiz who save our bacon with that spell where the bigfoot or whatever it is LOL rages and knocks out all the trees? I dunno...but it is an impressive spell. The life angel or whatever is also a good spell. I try to pack heals so I don't have to ask for any.

So hit away! I know some players just meteor or blizzard and no one gets to hit and I've done it sometimes if in a hurry and no one cares...but many will appreciate your spells and presence in their team.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on May 3, 2018 wrote:
You should quest with me then. Or someone just like me.

An explorer here for fun and entertainment. Someone who is not competitive but does enjoy teamwork.

I don't mind how anyone else plays unless they cork up my own play especially after I ask them not to because it corks me up. I'm not sure where that phrase came from I've never typed it before. Lol but that's what it feels like. Such as round 1 feint. Great so much for the big pip spell my deck just handed me....Or the attack all with the spell added that makes it stronger...I recently answered a team up with someone who feinted all enemies asap. I finally asked them not to and then every round they were asking "can I feint? can I feint?" This was after their feints kept stopping me from doing anything and I had pointed out 'I can't remove his shield because of feint' and the shields were slowing us down so feint was having the reverse effect intended...I finally said OK. And IMO that feint slowed us down again. Can it be said...I know this is not a popular opinion but...I hate feint. It's so over used, and should really be used with strategy or for those tricky big bosses that have a zillion health and cheat hits and heal themselves. Those, you need to knock out with one big hit, and those, people usually use feint...strategically.

I have been in battle with many many life wiz who save our bacon with that spell where the bigfoot or whatever it is LOL rages and knocks out all the trees? I dunno...but it is an impressive spell. The life angel or whatever is also a good spell. I try to pack heals so I don't have to ask for any.

So hit away! I know some players just meteor or blizzard and no one gets to hit and I've done it sometimes if in a hurry and no one cares...but many will appreciate your spells and presence in their team.
Actually Sparkle, I would love to have you on my friends list.

I can be in the Pet Pavilion in Greyrose either Saturday or Sunday afternoon at 4pm CDT (5 EDT 2 PDT).

S Gs

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Can I be the squeaky wheel here and say something annoying but I believe true and necessary?

Please do not feint in the first or second round or even first half of the battle, if you are battling with other wizards!

Know what happens then?
  • The enemy puts up a tower shield. I can't remove it with a wand hit because then I remove your feint also with a low hit wand spell.
  • I can't use the single attack I was going to use because then it removes your feint.
  • I can't use an attack all enemies spell, even if it's badly needed to remove some enemies for the lower health wizards' sakes, because then I remove your feint.
  • I can't do anything really except blade and trap and I'm not that type of fighter or wizard. I just want to hit.

So if you're battling with others, please, use feint later in the battle and use it strategically, just before your big hit or someone else's big hit. Until then please use your school blades, school traps, help other players, or use smaller hits, or wait and pip up....like the rest of us. PLEASE.
I have spent so many team ups ready to hit and can't because someone put feint first round. UGH One of my biggest pet peeves and one reason I prefer to solo (but I also like to answer calls for help, so...)
When the Feint is on, you don't need to remove the Tower Shield. The Feint is +70% damage added, while the Tower is -50%. With the Feint on, the Tower will be used up and +20% damage remains in place. Also, a Feint will completely negate any 70% shield, as if it isn't there.

If you are really reluctant to use the Feint, there are other ways to remove or get around shields: Shatter, Pierce, Steal, Infallible, etc. Pierce treasure cards are readily available through gardening and cost 0 pips to cast.

Also, remember the point of a Feint is to add damage. Just because a Feint is in place does not mean you can't hit with an AoE and take out the mobs. The Feint is there to add damage to the boss and/or make sure the mob gets dead. After it's used up, a Death wizard (or anyone who is supporting and has trained Feint) will just add another one.

People who place Feints should indeed work as a team and careful timing certainly can help. During team-ups I usually place them later in battle because inexperienced team members tend to ignore or be oblivious to Feints and Curses. They waste them with a pointless, low level damage spell. (Not to get rid of shields even, but just over-eager like, "Whee! I got a hit!" ) But ... if I've played a Feint during a team-up, it's because I intended for someone to use it. I've got lots of them, plus treasure versions. I play them liberally precisely because they make shields meaningless.

Alia Misthaven
Who has trained Feint on every wizard, no matter the school.

Survivor
Aug 08, 2012

Know what happens then?

I can understand where you're coming from,
But you can hit if someone puts up feint first round.
When Im fighting ice its easier to feint and blade up instead of fighting with my deck to find my wand hits.
If Im support in teams, what good would using my school traps do vs feint (which does more damage)
Instead of not hitting when someone casts feint, do as the deaths do and build up your attack so you can get around the tower shield.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I still feel the way I feel about feint. Sorry guys we can agree to disagree I hope

The 50 percent shield or other shields will cut someone's big spell in half. It cuts the feint in half also, reducing it to not much more than a nice blade + trap. I prefer to use blade + trap as those can add up to nearly a feint, but without impeding anyone else's game play.
I can still hit if there's a feint? Some people get extremely irate if you do. I'd even say most get irate, even though no one has any pips yet to use that feint when they placed it, nor did they 'claim' that particular enemy.

I've been called all sorts of names for hitting when there was a feint even if I didn't see it.
Feint also resembles some other things like traps especially if someone's screen is smaller or they need a new eyewear Rx.
Feint = needless drama and slowness, to me. But they are necessary with certain tricky Big Bosses. I mainly think they are overused.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Jamesdeanann on May 4, 2018 wrote:
I can understand where you're coming from,
But you can hit if someone puts up feint first round.
When Im fighting ice its easier to feint and blade up instead of fighting with my deck to find my wand hits.
If Im support in teams, what good would using my school traps do vs feint (which does more damage)
Instead of not hitting when someone casts feint, do as the deaths do and build up your attack so you can get around the tower shield.
"do as the deaths do and build up your attack so you can get around the tower shield."

Wouldn't have to if someone didn't feint 1st or 2nd round.
If I'm not on my death wiz (who also hates feint for most uses btw), why would I want to play like a death wizard? Why hamper anybody else. Why not simply use blade + trap, especially if you have to "build up your attack" anyway?

What good does feint do, before anyone has the pips to use it? Ah'm just sayin'.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Area51Alien on May 4, 2018 wrote:
Actually Sparkle, I would love to have you on my friends list.

I can be in the Pet Pavilion in Greyrose either Saturday or Sunday afternoon at 4pm CDT (5 EDT 2 PDT).

S Gs
Do you feint in the first or second round?

Kidding....

Which school would you most like to see as a questing buddy?

I don't have Balance school. Waiting for possible updates and then would feed him or her the Potion. I had been saving Balance gear up in storage but finally deleted all but the higher level stuff. My wizards are pack rats.

If you can be there for 5-10 minutes at those times I can try to drop by -- not sure which? For reasons not worth explaining I can't really promise when I can be in the spiral but -- will try!

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014

Know what happens then?

Forgive me if I am wrong but it sounds like you've maybe had people accuse you of 'wasting their feints' and now feel inhibited about using feints, particularly if they have been put on by a team mate?

Once someone casts feint or any other trap on an enemy it ceases to be 'their trap' and becomes the enemy's trap. You can use it! Sure, if you're planning to wipe out the mobs and think they might feint the boss you could say, but that's only so they can choose what to do with the knowledge of your game-play. If they feint and you want to wipe out mobs...go for it!

Please don't tell people they can't feint though because the reason you then repeatedly get 'Can I feint now?' is because you've passed on your inhibition to them

If we all communicate there is no need for anyone to feel unsure about their game-play being accepted

Use the feints, enjoy the feints....and if anyone gets grumpy about it don't worry, they're probably just grumpy in general haha. If they're mad about a 'wasted' feint at least you won't 'waste' a space on your friend list adding them....no-one needs grumpy 'friends' anyway!

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on May 4, 2018 wrote:
Do you feint in the first or second round?

Kidding....

Which school would you most like to see as a questing buddy?

I don't have Balance school. Waiting for possible updates and then would feed him or her the Potion. I had been saving Balance gear up in storage but finally deleted all but the higher level stuff. My wizards are pack rats.

If you can be there for 5-10 minutes at those times I can try to drop by -- not sure which? For reasons not worth explaining I can't really promise when I can be in the spiral but -- will try!
I don't mind which school. I've found that in the higher worlds it's easier to quest with a partner or two than it is to solo. I just need to know if I'm expected to only heal. Heal and hit. Or pull my weight hitting as hard as I can.

I usually save feints for BIG bosses. Most mobs can be taken care of with 40% blade, 35% blade, and two 25% traps...and an enhanced Forest Lord.

My biggest problem is getting all that built and do I now need to heal or do I have enough health and pips to cut loose.

I'll be there waiting.

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Victoria FireHeart on May 4, 2018 wrote:
Forgive me if I am wrong but it sounds like you've maybe had people accuse you of 'wasting their feints' and now feel inhibited about using feints, particularly if they have been put on by a team mate?

Once someone casts feint or any other trap on an enemy it ceases to be 'their trap' and becomes the enemy's trap. You can use it! Sure, if you're planning to wipe out the mobs and think they might feint the boss you could say, but that's only so they can choose what to do with the knowledge of your game-play. If they feint and you want to wipe out mobs...go for it!

Please don't tell people they can't feint though because the reason you then repeatedly get 'Can I feint now?' is because you've passed on your inhibition to them

If we all communicate there is no need for anyone to feel unsure about their game-play being accepted

Use the feints, enjoy the feints....and if anyone gets grumpy about it don't worry, they're probably just grumpy in general haha. If they're mad about a 'wasted' feint at least you won't 'waste' a space on your friend list adding them....no-one needs grumpy 'friends' anyway!
Oh dear, not again. I'm being judged based on one snippet from another hour-plus long dungeon.

HUGE SIGH
I don't tell "people" not to feint, I asked one person who was much lower level than I and who had already told me they hadn't played in a couple years or so, to please wait -- because frankly I really had to go (read that any way wished, it will be accurate) and also because in order to win the battle against the Oni in a reasonable length of time, I needed to be able to hit when I needed to hit.

The other person was casting feint in the first round and then wasn't able to do anything for some time.

I didn't pass on any inhibitions. They were not wounded or inhibited because after (several?) boss battles in a long dungeon I finally, on the very very last battle, asked them to please wait a while before casting feint.
Why do people feel like I'm just out there wounding other players? It is very hard not to feel offended by that but no one seems to worry about how I feel reading that? While worrying about these cases I wrote one snippet about?

Also, like I said, there are many who become irate if you use "their" feint -- I'm not sure what is unclear about that. Telling me to go ahead anyway -- won't that just cause issues in the team? I would think so. I also would feel incredibly rude if I ignored a team member's wishes, whether I agree with them or not.

Many who are thrown together in a team up are on their worst behavior because they're not really there to win as a team but to solo with more benefits or a faster kill i.e. soloing within a team. So they feel if they cast a trap or a feint that's their enemy and they resent anyone else hitting on that enemy at all. If you use a feint someone else placed, many will become angry and lash out.

"No one needs grumpy friends" -- they don't want friends. See above. As for me, if I answer a team up it's to help someone, friendship is an unexpected bonus.

I'm not "inhibited" I have noticed human behavior is all.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
The one time I recall asking anyone to please wait before they feint was a dungeon I clicked on accidentally while trying to close the team up window. Lol

I was physically uncomfortable throughout; I stayed anyway; I played the way they wanted, it wasn't until the Oni that I finally said please don't feint.

People seem extremely enamored with feint but to me it's not much more than a blade + trap, and it's great for the big big bosses but otherwise over relied upon and over used and used too soon in battle. That's how I feel.
But to post on a publicly readable board and in a community I happen to cherish being part of, that I'm out there "inhibiting" i.e. emotionally abusing people -- come on now. That's hardly fair, or accurate either.

I think feint can be a crutch, and blade + trap since everyone will be a few rounds before hitting (or most everyone) anyway, is perfectly fine. Then you can remove the shields that will cut feint in half anyway. Then anyone can hit without feeling they trod on someone's toes.

Please don't assume emotional damage or fragility when there is absolutely no evidence of it. I feel like people tend to do that and react as if I'm the monster, and I should be on the other side of the battle circle I can assure you that is not the case. I also stay to the end of dungeons when everyone else flees soon as or even before they get there. (And no that's not because of me either! Lol)

I like to remove shields so feint is fully functional and I like to maximize hits which is the purpose of feint, waiting a bit to feint allows its maximum use, it hampers absolutely nothing at all. Also, learning better strategy isn't emotionally damaging, neither is considering the other player's wishes/feelings/strategy rather than just slapping down feint immediately as if soloing.
I've said my bit. Shocked that my posts are interpreted in this way. Shocked and a little sad. Just kidding. I'm not sad. Dismayed a bit.

Armiger
Aug 03, 2014
SparkleTude on May 5, 2018 wrote:
Oh dear, not again. I'm being judged based on one snippet from another hour-plus long dungeon.

HUGE SIGH
I don't tell "people" not to feint, I asked one person who was much lower level than I and who had already told me they hadn't played in a couple years or so, to please wait -- because frankly I really had to go (read that any way wished, it will be accurate) and also because in order to win the battle against the Oni in a reasonable length of time, I needed to be able to hit when I needed to hit.

The other person was casting feint in the first round and then wasn't able to do anything for some time.

I didn't pass on any inhibitions. They were not wounded or inhibited because after (several?) boss battles in a long dungeon I finally, on the very very last battle, asked them to please wait a while before casting feint.
Why do people feel like I'm just out there wounding other players? It is very hard not to feel offended by that but no one seems to worry about how I feel reading that? While worrying about these cases I wrote one snippet about?

Also, like I said, there are many who become irate if you use "their" feint -- I'm not sure what is unclear about that. Telling me to go ahead anyway -- won't that just cause issues in the team? I would think so. I also would feel incredibly rude if I ignored a team member's wishes, whether I agree with them or not.

Many who are thrown together in a team up are on their worst behavior because they're not really there to win as a team but to solo with more benefits or a faster kill i.e. soloing within a team. So they feel if they cast a trap or a feint that's their enemy and they resent anyone else hitting on that enemy at all. If you use a feint someone else placed, many will become angry and lash out.

"No one needs grumpy friends" -- they don't want friends. See above. As for me, if I answer a team up it's to help someone, friendship is an unexpected bonus.

I wasn't judging you, I was trying to understand where you were coming from. Your posts about actually being criticised were not yet visible when I responded.

The OP was talking about battles that are over in 3-4 rounds and he was often after the hitter so unable to participate as much as he'd like. I'm not sure how telling him not to feint, when it's one of the best boosts he can offer the team, is really helping him be more useful in battle and less likely to be accused of doing nothing. If he holds of feinting as long as you suggested the battle will be over and he won't have done anything to contribute to the kill.

No offence was intended. We can all play as we want and agree to disagree on some things.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Slow building up for damage attacks is fine - IF you're soloing. But if you're in a team up and literally just building pips, the others have a reason to complain; if everyone did as you do, the entire team could get wiped out within those 7 rounds.
Why can't you blade then use Poison - it's just as effective as Skeletal Dragon without waiting for those pips and then you can place those traps during the DoT rounds. Or use Wraith if you need to heal, the others in the team up are there to help each other; what they see is that you aren't fighting at all.
I'm a death wizard and I generally solo, but in team-up situations, I know that taking time for an ultimate hit isn't going to help the team, as you said the power hitters will kill before you get everything you want in your hand.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Area51Alien on May 5, 2018 wrote:
I don't mind which school. I've found that in the higher worlds it's easier to quest with a partner or two than it is to solo. I just need to know if I'm expected to only heal. Heal and hit. Or pull my weight hitting as hard as I can.

I usually save feints for BIG bosses. Most mobs can be taken care of with 40% blade, 35% blade, and two 25% traps...and an enhanced Forest Lord.

My biggest problem is getting all that built and do I now need to heal or do I have enough health and pips to cut loose.

I'll be there waiting.

Steven Ghoststalker
Deepest apologies. I was not able to be there today and yesterday I decided it was best to wait and see which school you might prefer. Perhaps we can try again sometime.

I was kidding about the feint Steven.

The dungeon I spoke of was clicked on by accident and I really had to get going at the time, it wasn't until the Oni battle that I asked them to please wait a few rounds so we could remove shields and not lose points in our bigger hits. I don't recall exactly how I said it. I'm moritifed once again by a topic and it turning into scolding me. Thank you for not joining in on it or upvoting that.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on May 6, 2018 wrote:
Deepest apologies. I was not able to be there today and yesterday I decided it was best to wait and see which school you might prefer. Perhaps we can try again sometime.

I was kidding about the feint Steven.

The dungeon I spoke of was clicked on by accident and I really had to get going at the time, it wasn't until the Oni battle that I asked them to please wait a few rounds so we could remove shields and not lose points in our bigger hits. I don't recall exactly how I said it. I'm moritifed once again by a topic and it turning into scolding me. Thank you for not joining in on it or upvoting that.
No worries.

I just had 15 minuets of fun each day walking up to and asking if they sparkled. 8-)

Postings on this message board may be misconstrued or misunderstood from time to time. But all-in-all the denizens here are much more polite in their differences of opinion than one sees on Facebook. Wizards are a pretty polite lot.

S Gs

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
SparkleTude on May 5, 2018 wrote:

HUGE SIGH

The reason people reacted to you is because you started out with this...

...On a thread started by a Death wizard who was feeling stung by not being able to help out enough in team-up battles that were moving too fast for him to hit. The OP specifically said someone else would one-hit kill long before he could charge up pips (so we're talking the first couple rounds of battle, like in Loremaster), and OP doesn't get a chance to help in a meaningful way.

You just told him not to use the best option he has to help out in a high-speed team-up battle. People reacted to that because what you suggested didn't make sense for the situation. If instead you had said, "Please be mindful of when you place Feints, making sure they are well-timed to avoid shields," then you would have gotten a more positive reaction.

There are nuances in battles, and the specific boss type and player type matters. If the OP is participating in a team-up at a popular farming location, there will be high-levels in there slamming out 4-5 pip AoEs on the first round or three, killing everything. In a battle that fast, the most helpful thing a Death can do is throw out a Feint in the first round.

Teaming up with one, lesser experienced wizard on a more routine boss in the mid-level worlds is a completely different situation. In that case then yes, we might need to coach our less experienced team-mate on when is the best time to place a Feint. I don't think that is the situation described by the OP in this thread, however.

Sorry you felt ganged up on.

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Jamesdeanann on May 1, 2018 wrote:

--

This is why I don't like Storm Wizards and I kept pushing for the delay on the Late/Tardy Mechanic on bosses (if you join the duel late).

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Freshta on May 4, 2018 wrote:
When the Feint is on, you don't need to remove the Tower Shield. The Feint is +70% damage added, while the Tower is -50%. With the Feint on, the Tower will be used up and +20% damage remains in place. Also, a Feint will completely negate any 70% shield, as if it isn't there.

If you are really reluctant to use the Feint, there are other ways to remove or get around shields: Shatter, Pierce, Steal, Infallible, etc. Pierce treasure cards are readily available through gardening and cost 0 pips to cast.

Also, remember the point of a Feint is to add damage. Just because a Feint is in place does not mean you can't hit with an AoE and take out the mobs. The Feint is there to add damage to the boss and/or make sure the mob gets dead. After it's used up, a Death wizard (or anyone who is supporting and has trained Feint) will just add another one.

People who place Feints should indeed work as a team and careful timing certainly can help. During team-ups I usually place them later in battle because inexperienced team members tend to ignore or be oblivious to Feints and Curses. They waste them with a pointless, low level damage spell. (Not to get rid of shields even, but just over-eager like, "Whee! I got a hit!" ) But ... if I've played a Feint during a team-up, it's because I intended for someone to use it. I've got lots of them, plus treasure versions. I play them liberally precisely because they make shields meaningless.

Alia Misthaven
Who has trained Feint on every wizard, no matter the school.
Uh oh, it's time for some MATHEMATICS to come to the rescue!!

Freshta you said the following:
"When the Feint is on, you don't need to remove the Tower Shield. The Feint is +70% damage added, while the Tower is -50%. With the Feint on, the Tower will be used up and +20% damage remains in place. Also, a Feint will completely negate any 70% shield, as if it isn't there. "

While it is true you don't need to do anything your logic about feints negating shields is not quite there. Let's assume that we have a spell that does 100 damage. If you have a feint that will boost the damage to 170 damage.

100*1.7= 170 damage. (Note that I use 1.7, you can do 100*.7, that is the extra damage so you'd need to add the original 100 damage, but to same time I will be using the first method.)

Similarly with a shield it will reduce the 100 damage to the following:

Tower=100*.5=50damage
School double shield=100*.3=30 damage (again you can think of it as how much damage will go through or as that percent will be blocked by the shield so 100*.7=70 and 100-70=30 damage.)

Now let's extend the example.

If I put a feint and they put a school shield they are not equally negated: observe.

(Initial Damage)X(Feint Multiplier)X(Shield Multiplier)

School: 100*1.7*0.3= 51 damage
Tower: 100*1.7*.5= 85 damage

So a feint does not negate the shield. The feint would only turn the -50% shield into a -15% shield. Which depending on your play style and damage your dealing may or may not be important. Trying to single feint through a school shield essentially turns it into a Tower Shield at about -50%.

Therefore you'd need two feints to cancel out the one Tower Shield (and it would only be a +44.5% trap) It's even worse for the school shields (-70%) as you'd need three feints to get out of the hole and get a +47.4% trap.

So bottom line- if you can, it's worth it to remove the shield via wand, Shatter, Pierce, pierce, critical, Steal etc. It would effectively turn your 40% trap into a 70% one again.