Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Potent Trap

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 11, 2012
I've been farming for this treasure card for 2 months. No luck

Survivor
Jan 03, 2016
I would recommend waiting until you get the actual spell itself.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Who have you been farming?

Try Gladiator Dimachaerus.

Also, most bosses in Azteca actually do drop the treasure, so completing the world (if you're currently in the process) should yield favorable results.

Also, keep in mind of the quest Broken Idols in the Cenote yields at least two Potent Trap Treasures in it's rewards.

Good Luck.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Not sure what level you are, but the quest "Broken Idols" will give you two Potent Trap treasure cards once you're questing in Azteca itself.

If you are way below Azteca and looking for a way to get Potent Trap early, try farming the Gladiator, a boss hidden inside of Mt. Olympus dungeon in Aquila. He is difficult, you will need to go with friends. But, he definitely drops that treasure card.

If you are above Azteca, farm Malakeen Moondrinker. He's located in the Zocalo (making it easy to step outside for health and mana). He's Myth with Death mastery, but no cheats and only one mob if you solo. Usually he'll drop the Potent Trap within 3-5 battles.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Location:Yacate%27s_House#axzz4rM5Gc3ys

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Creature:Malakeen_Moondrinker#axzz4rM5Gc3ys

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Caveboy104 on Apr 17, 2018 wrote:
I've been farming for this treasure card for 2 months. No luck
I know it can be very frustrating. I remember for my crafting quest I crafted the item before the quest wanted me too, so I I had to do it all over again! Ugh!

My advice is utilize all of the sources found on the wiki page: http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/TreasureCard:Potent_Trap#axzz5CxpIVEzu

Specifically use the housing tours to go to the house vendors, see if you are close to that quest that offers two of them and/or vary the people that you fight or find one that you can speed run. If you're varying who you fight, I'd just go help people in the Team Up Kiosk so you are kind of killing two birds with one stone.

Just remember Professor Greyrose's mantra: With persistence-victory is assured!

Good luck!

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
I can add one other source to this - I got one from tournament reward yesterday. Not ready for that crafting quest yet on this wiz but I will save it.

Survivor
Jun 16, 2012
Freshta on Apr 17, 2018 wrote:
Not sure what level you are, but the quest "Broken Idols" will give you two Potent Trap treasure cards once you're questing in Azteca itself.

If you are way below Azteca and looking for a way to get Potent Trap early, try farming the Gladiator, a boss hidden inside of Mt. Olympus dungeon in Aquila. He is difficult, you will need to go with friends. But, he definitely drops that treasure card.

If you are above Azteca, farm Malakeen Moondrinker. He's located in the Zocalo (making it easy to step outside for health and mana). He's Myth with Death mastery, but no cheats and only one mob if you solo. Usually he'll drop the Potent Trap within 3-5 battles.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Location:Yacate%27s_House#axzz4rM5Gc3ys

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Creature:Malakeen_Moondrinker#axzz4rM5Gc3ys

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven
I wanted to say thank you for this suggestion of target. I didn't count but think I (lv91 fire wizard) finally got that confounded card last night for my crafting quest within 6 battles.

I was starting to despair I would find it before I completed Azteca. I'm slow at leveling and the devs made the change with the quest reward ones after I had already completed that quest. So out of luck there. I'm currently stuck at the Cipactli fight in Tierra de Brea so I don't think there is a whole lot of Azteca left for me. Yes I know about team up but I play late night where weekly maintenance routinely kicks me out of game in my prime playing hours. I haven't especially made time during the game peak playing hours to try finding a team up yet.

Thanks again for the tip. I am no longer jealous of my two mid-twenties wizards who got potent trap card from the dromel merchant in castle tours. The first one who got it was my voted most likely to be deleted when I decide to play the last school, since we don't get enough character slots to play them all.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Just Another Pirat... on Apr 21, 2018 wrote:
I wanted to say thank you for this suggestion of target. I didn't count but think I (lv91 fire wizard) finally got that confounded card last night for my crafting quest within 6 battles.

I was starting to despair I would find it before I completed Azteca. I'm slow at leveling and the devs made the change with the quest reward ones after I had already completed that quest. So out of luck there. I'm currently stuck at the Cipactli fight in Tierra de Brea so I don't think there is a whole lot of Azteca left for me. Yes I know about team up but I play late night where weekly maintenance routinely kicks me out of game in my prime playing hours. I haven't especially made time during the game peak playing hours to try finding a team up yet.

Thanks again for the tip. I am no longer jealous of my two mid-twenties wizards who got potent trap card from the dromel merchant in castle tours. The first one who got it was my voted most likely to be deleted when I decide to play the last school, since we don't get enough character slots to play them all.
Glad you finally got your Potent Trap!

If you're in Tierra de Brea then you are indeed getting close to the end of Azteca. I think you have three areas left, but the questing goes fairly fast from that point onward.

You can try team-up late at night anyway - you'd be surprised how many people are still on after midnight.

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Jun 14, 2009
Anyone find any other methods? Been farming for 4 days straight and still no luck.

Explorer
Mar 08, 2015
Hello my friend!

I just had this same problem 3 weeks ago! I was farming gladiator on and off for over a year. I contacted customer support, I posted on the message boards, and everything, but one day, I was farming gladiator and I got the potent trap. I'd say the gladiator is probably the best way to get it, even know I've had horrible luck myself...

Good luck to you!

Wolf LegendSword-LvL 125 Wolf LegendSword-LvL 8
Daniel BattleShade-LvL 125Wolf LegendSword-LvL 6
Blaze NightRider-LvL 125 Sloan Bear-LvL 1
Michael ShadowStaff-LvL 125 Marcus WildStaff-LvL 1
Blaze NightFlame-LvL 125 Patrick Star-LvL 1
Carlos GhostDust-LvL68
Blaze MythRider-LvL 45

Explorer
Jan 12, 2013
I've now had 3-4 from tournaments. I'd say drop rate there is pretty high.