Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical and Block System

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 11, 2011
Okay so I just came back to the game after like two or three years and got a one month membership and $25.00 worth of crowns. From Wizard City to Dragonspyre it was great! I got into crafting which was something I never did and generally did better at soloing than my Balance (but then again, Balance isn't generally a "solo" school).

So a little summary of my wizard is that she's a Life, Lindsey LifeWielder and has the waterworks hat and robe (had to craft Zafaria block boots if I wanted to survive Avalon alone) and had to sacrifice my sky iron hasta for a wand that gets 50+ universal block.

In total, I got 162 universal block for Avalon and I've generally been doing well. I'm at a perfect level for starting which I think is level 72 and have currently soloed everything.

But I died a lot in Zafaria due to the "new" critical and block system, which I never even took notice of until the end of Celestia.

All I'm asking is why and when did they change it (and how it works!), I miss the old system :(

Kelly (Lvl 83)
Lindsey (Lvl 72)

Survivor
Jun 02, 2009
Basically there is a percentage of hitting a crit or a block. If someone uses a spell, they have a percentage to crit, and if they do crit then the other person has a percentage to block. The crit and block numbers between players have no correlation to eachother, the numbers are purely for increasing the chance of getting a crit/block. Also, the percentages are adjusted to players' levels I think. If you hover over your crit/block numbers, it will show a percentage, and that is the percentage you have.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
the higher your level, the more you have to pump in to hit or block to maintain the same percentage. As just an example, and I know somebody will produce real stats, if you were level 100, you would need 700 hit or block to have 100%. At level 101 you would need 705 hit or block for that same 100%. Again, this is JUST an example. Also, the new system has each target's hit and block calculated separately which is awesome, but the whole critical system is still heavily favoring the monsters.

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
In very simple terms, the higher your rating (the number that comes in the circle of a school under the critical/critical block rating section in Advanced Character Stats section of the spellbook), the higher chance you have to land a critical hit or block a critical hit targeted on you. It's in percentages, and the requirements for a certain percentage increases as your levels increase. So, the higher your level is, the higher your critical/critical block rating needs to be in order to keep landing criticals and blocking criticals. It can be really hard to maintain after a while, and you might need to invest a lot of time into just getting decent gear. I wish you the best of luck.

Thomas Wildstaff, 90

Historian
Jun 19, 2010
Since the game began, many players invested a tremendous amount of time and energy into maxing out Wizards for ultimate effects and results. Some set-ups were done to achieve 100% Critical attacks, perfect blocking, ridiculous damage, amazing resistance, etc...

The game has changed and evolved over time, with some players adapting effortlessly, and others adjusting with great effort, not at all, or somewhere in-between. In the end, having an awesome fun game is what W101 is too many of us, filled with fond memories, or what just getting started, creating new ones!