Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Help me understand which stats to boost

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 10, 2009
I have some specific questions i cannot find direct answers anywhere relating to stats.

Damage stat: the only spells i cast are death. Is there any point increasing the other schools stats? it seems to me i should only use armour that specifically increases damage to a death spell. Correct?

Resistance stats: If i understand this correct, i want to increase these stats on every school, so that whenever a spell of any school hits me it will be reduced by my damage percent for that schools spell. Correct?

Accuracy: Again, i only cast death spells. Is there any point increasing the other schools accuracy? As well just to be clear, accuracy is basically effecting the likelihood of fizzling and that is all. Correct?

Critical rating: Here i have no idea. If i cast a death spell on a life wizard, which critical number is it looking to?

the others are pretty straightforward. I've been playing nine years, and cannot find answers to this ANYWHERE...your help is really appreciated!

Rod

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Well Rod, you've come to the right place to have all your queries...queried!

Now, allow me to provide some insight:

Damage - Your damage stat is very important but you did elude to something very important. Your gear should be aimed at increasing your school's damage, correct which I'm guessing is . However, if all your other damage stats just so happens to gets benefited during this process, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Resist - Another very important stat, especially to Necromancers. With some number of our spells resulting in us hurting ourselves (still feel that the damage done should be changed to so we can keep or charms), resistance is important. Not to mention, you'll be able to better fend off incoming attacks from mobs of any school. So, allow me to correct myself by adding that Universal Resists is of great importance. Do not forsake this stat. Most of our resists nowadays come by the aid of our pets.

Accuracy - I usually just use a jewel to ensure my accuracy hits at least 100%. Once you hit this figure, it becomes identically impossible for you to fizzle with any spell unless you're dispelled or got a accuracy debuff (black mantle etc.) Your gear usually provides (at higher levels accuracy enchants, but not much, which is why the jewel is important).

Critical - Arguably the most important stat in the game. This is where I tend to spend most of my time on all my wizards, this partnered wit damage of course. Gaining a critical increases the potential damage of your spell by X1.5 - That damage can be monumental in deciding many matches. Critical rating primarily comes from gear, but can be boosted with Circular Jewels and from pets. So, just to be clear, just like damage, you're wanting to increase your school's critical the most.

Block - Your block rating decides the likelihood of you blocking an enemy's criticalled attack. Nowadays, it's hard to block. Not a very important stat since it seems criticals still land.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Star Edward on Mar 10, 2018 wrote:
Well Rod, you've come to the right place to have all your queries...queried!

Now, allow me to provide some insight:

Damage - Your damage stat is very important but you did elude to something very important. Your gear should be aimed at increasing your school's damage, correct which I'm guessing is . However, if all your other damage stats just so happens to gets benefited during this process, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Resist - Another very important stat, especially to Necromancers. With some number of our spells resulting in us hurting ourselves (still feel that the damage done should be changed to so we can keep or charms), resistance is important. Not to mention, you'll be able to better fend off incoming attacks from mobs of any school. So, allow me to correct myself by adding that Universal Resists is of great importance. Do not forsake this stat. Most of our resists nowadays come by the aid of our pets.

Accuracy - I usually just use a jewel to ensure my accuracy hits at least 100%. Once you hit this figure, it becomes identically impossible for you to fizzle with any spell unless you're dispelled or got a accuracy debuff (black mantle etc.) Your gear usually provides (at higher levels accuracy enchants, but not much, which is why the jewel is important).

Critical - Arguably the most important stat in the game. This is where I tend to spend most of my time on all my wizards, this partnered wit damage of course. Gaining a critical increases the potential damage of your spell by X1.5 - That damage can be monumental in deciding many matches. Critical rating primarily comes from gear, but can be boosted with Circular Jewels and from pets. So, just to be clear, just like damage, you're wanting to increase your school's critical the most.

Block - Your block rating decides the likelihood of you blocking an enemy's criticalled attack. Nowadays, it's hard to block. Not a very important stat since it seems criticals still land.

I wanted to provide a correction on what you said.

A critical hit boosts your spell's damage by X2, not X1.5. In PvP, it is X1.3.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2017
BrahmShadow on Mar 10, 2018 wrote:
I wanted to provide a correction on what you said.

A critical hit boosts your spell's damage by X2, not X1.5. In PvP, it is X1.3.
Didn't the recent Critical Adjustments alter this?

Boosting instead of X2, its now X1.5?

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Taylor SwiftStalke... on Mar 11, 2018 wrote:
Didn't the recent Critical Adjustments alter this?

Boosting instead of X2, its now X1.5?

No, critical still does X2 in PvE and X1.3 in PvP. Perhaps you are thinking of the critical system overhaul back in the Polaris update?

Survivor
Jan 26, 2014
One of the interesting and hardest things in the game is the balance your armor, weapon and pet gives you. You end up either going hard towards one stat at the expense of the others or you end up in a balance.
My main is a myth and I solo quite a bit, so I gave up a bit on my crit for defense. Now, the closer you get to 100% defense, the less the crit block is important. You power though is key. It is what all else is based on with your hit. I try to max that.
They are correct, pets are used to either fix shortcomings in your armor/weapon setup or the further enhance those stats.
I would suggest that you have more than one set. One that you use to crit kill hard and give up extended defense. One that works on defense at the expense of crit and one that you use for dungens and or PvP if you do PvP.
In each of these, the pet can go along way to helping you achive your goals. I have a pet with a lot of may heals for soloing but in darkmore, I put her away and use a defense / offense on depending on my team.

And Acc is very very important. Fizzing at the wrong time will make a wizard cry at times - lol

Survivor
Jan 03, 2018
I'm not a fan of Critical actually, in most cases. IMO Critical is important for PvP, but not PvE.

The problem with critical is that its unreliable. In PvE you end up almost always wanting to determine exactly what you need to get a kill and since you can't depend on critical, you always need to assume your lowest possible damage for a spell, so almost always critical just results in overkill.

In PvP this is different because in PvP it's much more difficult and you often use a series of multiple attacks and the crits add up, in PvE I find that 95% of the time, my crits are just overkills. This is different is you are Life because critical heals are always good thing.

I prefer Damage and Armor Piercing to Critical, especially for Balance, because Damage and Armor Piercing always works and it's nice to be able to ignore shields.