Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Tips & Tricks

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jan 30, 2014
Although I am doing extremely well compared to what I've heard, I think it's always good to know extra. I am currently a thousand xp or so from level 74, and have firestarter gear (which helped me improve a lot) but as I'm an old player who has just come back from a rest period, my tactics are rusty.
Current deck situation:
5 tower shield
5 gargantuan (sun school)
3 pixie
4 satyr (minus one during fire bosses)
1 sprite
5 efreet
5 dragon
4 prisms (added one or two during fire bosses)
3 fire shield
2 fire traps (minus one during fire bosses)
5 fire blades
4 meteor
2 phoenix
4 rain of fire
3 smoke screen
3 vengeance
2 elemental blades
wand cards: life wand hit (110+extra from gear), tower shield, balance blade, hex, strangle (2x)
Gear: Fire starter, quagga blade, dirk of the dragon, witch's star necklace, Hannibal's bronze ring, cinder deck
Pet: Ancient Sea dragon
I try to solo when I can!
ANY FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
First of all you have way too many cards in your deck. Also, you may want to set up 2 decks, one for mobs and one for bosses, the suggestions below would be for bosses, for mobs i would just put in blades, meteor, dragon and gargantuan (yes that is all)

5 tower shields - not big on shielding, i would go with the treasure card version so as not to stuff up my deck

5 gargantuan (sun school) - 3 should do it, how many times do you need to hit to kill?

Get rid of satyr and spirte, keep maybe 2 pixies

5 efreet - keep 2

5 dragon - keep 1

4 meteor - keep 1, or ditch the dragon and keep 2

2 phoenix - not really sure you need this, you have efreet

4 rain of fire - how often do you use this? pip cost is pretty high I would keep 1 at most

2 fire traps - blades are better than traps as it effects your hit on all enemies, furthermore you have damage over time spells, making traps even less useful, i would remove these altogether

4 prisms - i would only add when i was facing a fire specifically and then only 2, mass fire prism can also now be purchased as a tc
3 fire shield - I would get rid of these since you have towers and they only help against fire,

5 fire blades - blades are good but are much more effective stacked, which means you need different kinds. Consider buying shango's fireblade amulet (bazaar or amulet vendor in ZF), getting a pet with a blade, purchasing fireblade tcs, al 4 of these will stack and lead to a more powerful hit
3 smoke screen - i would not carry these unless i was in a group, you could be doing better things with your turn

3 vengeance - how often do you actually critical? If not often consider furnace tcs (star spell) you can buy in bazaar, they add to your damage

2 elemental blades - I do not like using blades that cost pips, consider 0 pip blades mentioned above to replace these

The less cards you have in your deck, the more likely you are to pull a useful card every round , my goal is to always kill ASAP

Good luck out there!

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
If I was going to offer you any tip, it would be to pare down that spell deck! I counted 60-70 cards from what you listed. Wow, that's way too many cards. Really.

Now I know what you're thinking, 'cause I used to think that way, too. "What if __ happens? I need cards for that." And the answer to that is, no. Actually, it turned out I almost never needed that many cards and I was just wasting time, taking damage while wading through a huge pile of stuff I'd packed for "what if...?"

Here's what you can do to help yourself out.

Every time you dump a card instead of using it, jot that down. Keep track of how many times you find yourself dumping a heal, a shield, a smokescreen, etc. If you keep dumping the same cards over and over... then you don't need them! Get rid of them. After weeding out the junk you'll find that you don't need a huge spell deck with the kitchen sink, what you need is to hit once, hit hard and get out of there.

I also have a level 74 Fire. Her Main deck has:

1 Efreet
1 Fire Dragon
1 Helephant
1 Volcano
1 Fire Blade (35% from pet)
1 Fuel (35% from pet)
1 Fuel (25% regular)
2 Fire Prisms
2 Fire traps (25% regular)
2 Fire Blades (35% regular)
2 Elemental Blades
2 Fire Blades (40% from jewel)
2 Pixies
3 Gargantuan cards
3 Wand blasts

It's only 25 cards and some people would argue that even that is too many. Depending on the boss I'm facing, I might swap out the Pixies for Satyrs, or the Helephant will be replaced with another Efreet. But basically, everything else stays the same. Having a small deck ensures that I can get what I need very quickly so battles don't drag out too long.

Alia Misthaven, 122
Emily Ashcloud, 74

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
So, I'll first look at your gear.

Wand - It would be great if you could upgrade your wand to one from the crown shop packs such as the Road Warrior's or Immortal Lore's Pack. It helps.

Amulet - Don't have a life mastery?

Pet - Fair, what are it's talents? Hoping at least Spell Proof and Pain-giver?

Deck - I recommend you get two. One for mob battles and one for boss battles. The smaller one should just feature AoE's (Meteor), Couple Charms (Fireblades, Elemental Blades) and Feint! Where's feint?!
Add another for only fire boss battles as well. Some of which will feature fire mobs (Mass Convert should be used here).

Feint - Learn the spell.

Star School - Why do you have vengeance? Get rid of that spell and replace it with either beserk (if your resist is over 35%) or amplify.

Smoke Screen - Get rid of that. Enemies not fizzling can sometimes be good.

Recommended Deck Setup.
Small Deck - 5 Meteor Strikes
5 Gargantuans
1 Satyr
3 Fireblades
2 Elemental Blades
1 Amplify
2 Feints
Don't need much more than this. As you level, be sure to edit, you can add a couple Fire Dragon for mobs having higher health.

Your athames and ring will need changing eventually. I suggest the Courtly Dirk from the Crafting Recipe Vendor (Leprechaun in the Wild), Avalon.

Good job sticking with so far though! One of the more well rounded schools out there.

Defender
Jan 30, 2014
Thanks everyone

I've been narrowing down my deck, although I like to keep dragon instead of meteor (I blade up and then dragon, meteor usually finishes battle or DoT). I'm going to try to get used to using a smaller deck, but I narrowed it down about 20 cards already and I've been in and out of battles really quickly, especially bosses. I'm going to try and narrow it down even more, and I'm saving up points for spells (I wish I'd had my member ship during buyback!). So would feint be a better call or astral spells (beserk or amplify?).

Thanks again

Explorer
Oct 27, 2017
Freshta on Jan 24, 2018 wrote:
If I was going to offer you any tip, it would be to pare down that spell deck! I counted 60-70 cards from what you listed. Wow, that's way too many cards. Really.

Now I know what you're thinking, 'cause I used to think that way, too. "What if __ happens? I need cards for that." And the answer to that is, no. Actually, it turned out I almost never needed that many cards and I was just wasting time, taking damage while wading through a huge pile of stuff I'd packed for "what if...?"

Here's what you can do to help yourself out.

Every time you dump a card instead of using it, jot that down. Keep track of how many times you find yourself dumping a heal, a shield, a smokescreen, etc. If you keep dumping the same cards over and over... then you don't need them! Get rid of them. After weeding out the junk you'll find that you don't need a huge spell deck with the kitchen sink, what you need is to hit once, hit hard and get out of there.

I also have a level 74 Fire. Her Main deck has:

1 Efreet
1 Fire Dragon
1 Helephant
1 Volcano
1 Fire Blade (35% from pet)
1 Fuel (35% from pet)
1 Fuel (25% regular)
2 Fire Prisms
2 Fire traps (25% regular)
2 Fire Blades (35% regular)
2 Elemental Blades
2 Fire Blades (40% from jewel)
2 Pixies
3 Gargantuan cards
3 Wand blasts

It's only 25 cards and some people would argue that even that is too many. Depending on the boss I'm facing, I might swap out the Pixies for Satyrs, or the Helephant will be replaced with another Efreet. But basically, everything else stays the same. Having a small deck ensures that I can get what I need very quickly so battles don't drag out too long.

Alia Misthaven, 122
Emily Ashcloud, 74
To be exact, there are 60 cards on the dot

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Jan 25, 2018 wrote:
Thanks everyone

I've been narrowing down my deck, although I like to keep dragon instead of meteor (I blade up and then dragon, meteor usually finishes battle or DoT). I'm going to try to get used to using a smaller deck, but I narrowed it down about 20 cards already and I've been in and out of battles really quickly, especially bosses. I'm going to try and narrow it down even more, and I'm saving up points for spells (I wish I'd had my member ship during buyback!). So would feint be a better call or astral spells (beserk or amplify?).

Thanks again
Well, personally, Feint is a must for all my wizards in addition to Tower Shield.

Now, as I said, it's personal, whether you want to learn the spell and add it to your tactic is ultimately up to you.

But I suggest learning it.

Beserk can be a little risky to use and overall implement in strategies (especially when you're surrounded by traps), so Amplify is the safer bet, or you can use the treasure cards from Bazaar if you're trying to save on points for the time being.

Remember, get two decks, not only one.

Larger decks packed with cards can often cost you the match, don't make it a goal to fill every card slot in each deck you've.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
ThisGirlIsOnFIRE00... on Jan 25, 2018 wrote:
Thanks everyone

Thanks again
Feint, wait on astral spells until you try the treasure card versions, many times I have trained them then wound up never using them