Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Moving to rural area with no internet HELP!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 03, 2012
Welp this is something I never though would happen. I am one of those older players that has been here for years. Due to my husband taking a new job (management) we are moving to a rural area. There are no fiber optics, no nothing in that area. The only option I have is Hughes Net and Verizon's Jet Pack. I have heard everything about both and not one person who games with it personally has chimed in. I know Hughes Net is no good for X-box and Play Station but isn't Wizard a lot different from the way they run? I've also heard that the Verizon does well but Wizard will eat up data and you can't afford to use it to game with.

I can NOT imagine my life without Wizard. I have sunk a ton of time, money and heart into it and am sick to think I may not be able to play :(

So, please if anyone can please give me advice, help something into this matter I would be more than grateful.

Thanks so much,

Amber Ravenheart <3

PS: Please forgive me if this is in the wrong place. I didn't know where else to put it.

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
Contact the telephone company where you're moving to (verizon?) and ask if they have DSL (Digital subscriber line). It's not anywhere near cable speed and anytime someone uses the phone you might (you will lol) get disconnected, but it is internet.

Good luck with the move!

Explorer
Oct 27, 2017
I recommend Verizon, because even though it costs a lot, put quality over quantity

Explorer
Oct 01, 2011
Personally I find it doesn't use much data at all. On 1G of prepay 3G a month I was using about 500 MB total per month, playing roughly 1-2 hours a day. The big thing is if you have to download massive updates but that's pretty rare.
I don't know the specifics of your current internet set-up but there should be an easy way to measure how much data is used in each session.
If there isn't just look at your current MB/GB used then play for however long your usual play time is, then look again and use that to see how much that burns through.
Lots of online games like Wiz actually don't require that much to run once installed as it's only sending and receiving data, not downloading it constantly

Good luck

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
Does Dish Network have internet capabilities? And yes, the data charges would be higher than your mortgage if you went with a cell service. That was my first thought - using your phone for a hub.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2009
You may be in luck in terms of bandwidth usage, as well as data usage. Verizon Jet Pack is probably going to be your best bet. The problem with Hughs Net is that it's satellite internet. And while that may be fine for email usage, anything more and you will have issues. Mainly because the signal has to go to space and back. Verizon is a little better in that as long as your close-ish to a tower, you will have better speeds and ping time.

The thing about MMO's is that unless they're download actual game data, they use very little bandwidth. So my advice would be to download as much as the game as you can before you move. Since it's not a first person online shooter, you should honestly be fine with playing Wizard101 on Verizon's 4G network. It won't be as speedy or responsive as fiber optic, but it should be playable.

Now yes the Verizon will most likely not be super cheap. But you shouldn't be constantly running out of data unless you're doing other things like streaming netflix or something. Don't feel discouraged, just get the best deal you can with Verizon and be frugal with your usage.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
How rural?

I live in a rural part of Southern MO and Windstream has GREAT internet.

Anymore most phone companies will offer at least SOME kind of internet service.

Steven Ghoststalker

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Mr Talon on Jan 3, 2018 wrote:
Contact the telephone company where you're moving to (verizon?) and ask if they have DSL (Digital subscriber line). It's not anywhere near cable speed and anytime someone uses the phone you might (you will lol) get disconnected, but it is internet.

Good luck with the move!
I have DSL, which is in fact faster than cable, not only that but it has no impact on if you can make phone calls or not, you must be thinking of dial up which is pretty outdated at this point!

Survivor
Jan 26, 2014
If you have a cell phone and it works out there, look at the local cell phone providers and get tethering turned on and your data limits turned up a smidge. You can then hook your computer up to your own hot spot and get online anywhere you have cell phone signal. It isn't always the best, but in a case like this, it may be a cheap, great option to keep it going.

We are pulling for ya

Champion
Jun 26, 2009
You have some awesome DSL then Jamine. I too have DSL from verizon and it runs between at its best about 0.7 Mbps. and that is in manhattan nyc. That is nowhere near the cable speed I used to get, but it's still pretty decent.

Every time someone calls me... 'bloop'. disconnected. Which can be a pain when you're in a PvP match.