Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Hoard Packs Unreasonable

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Aug 07, 2014
I have spent quite a considerable amount of my money on Crowns to get the new Ice Wolf Mount from the new Hoard pack and have received absolutely useless stuff in return.

Am wishing that this did not feel so much like gambling. I really appreciate it if KingsIsle would increase the drop rating to allow for more of a chance at getting certain things.

The Xmas season will soon be over and would love to have this before then.

Anyone else share my opinion?

Defender
May 30, 2010
Sestiva DeathBring... on Dec 20, 2017 wrote:
I have spent quite a considerable amount of my money on Crowns to get the new Ice Wolf Mount from the new Hoard pack and have received absolutely useless stuff in return.

Am wishing that this did not feel so much like gambling. I really appreciate it if KingsIsle would increase the drop rating to allow for more of a chance at getting certain things.

For me, Packs are like shiny pokemon. As someone who hunts shinnies. Let me tell that sometimes it will take weeks to months for me. I was doing the best method too. A one shiny took me 2 eggs while some others took over 1000 eggs. You can either keep trying and hope you get lucky or just try again next year. It is always depends on lucky you get.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
This was discussed in a similar thread.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/ravenwood-commons/winter-wonder-2017-pack-broken-or-unlucky-8ad6a425604f286c0160533d28bb6776?page=1

We all share the opinion of increased drop rates:

We all want an increase drop rate from mobs, bosses, plants, packs, you name it..
Will it happen? Well..

However, you should try to set a limit for yourself when tossing crowns into these packs.
"Am wishing this did not feel so much like gambling" - For another topic, but you're fully aware of the high risks and implications before going into these packs.

Luck also plays a major factor here, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
To some extent I would agree, that trying to win a mount from a pack is like trying to win the lottery.

Chances they change the drop rates for certain items is highly unlikely.

Keep in mind, packs are designed to get you to spend money on the game. They tempt you with cool mounts, gear sets, pets, and spells in the hopes you will buy crowns and take a chance on getting some of those items. Thing is people are so focused on trying to win a certain item, they don't often consider how much those featured items are actually worth, thus they over estimate their chances of winning.

Take the Wolf of Winter mount as an example; if you took everything in the 2017 Winter Wonder pack and sold each item individually in the Crown Shop what item do you think would be the most expensive? What are always the most expensive items in the Crown Shop? Mounts, armor sets, and pets stand as some of the most expensive items in the Crown Shop. Could you imagine if they sold the permanent spell drops from that pack?

The more expensive an item would be by itself the rarer it is, and lower the drop rate. Think about it, most of your permanent mounts are between 7,500 and 15,000 crowns, in order to buy any single permanent mount in the Crown Shop you would need at least $30 worth of crowns.

Apply this to our packs situation, say you bought the 2017 Winter Wonder Pack and won the Wolf of Winter mount. You would have won a permanent mount that normally might have cost a maximum if 15,000 crowns for 299 crowns. In others words you won a $30 permanent mount for a fraction of $5. And this is without even considering what other items you received along with the mount.

This is how they make money off of packs, by lowering the drop rate of the rarer and thus more valuable items to cover the amount of crowns/real money needed to buy those items by themselves.

I don't say this to deter you, I say this so you know why, hopefully that makes things a little less confusing.

I hope you get your mount!

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
The Lore Keeper on Dec 22, 2017 wrote:
To some extent I would agree, that trying to win a mount from a pack is like trying to win the lottery.

Chances they change the drop rates for certain items is highly unlikely.

Keep in mind, packs are designed to get you to spend money on the game. They tempt you with cool mounts, gear sets, pets, and spells in the hopes you will buy crowns and take a chance on getting some of those items. Thing is people are so focused on trying to win a certain item, they don't often consider how much those featured items are actually worth, thus they over estimate their chances of winning.

Take the Wolf of Winter mount as an example; if you took everything in the 2017 Winter Wonder pack and sold each item individually in the Crown Shop what item do you think would be the most expensive? What are always the most expensive items in the Crown Shop? Mounts, armor sets, and pets stand as some of the most expensive items in the Crown Shop. Could you imagine if they sold the permanent spell drops from that pack?

The more expensive an item would be by itself the rarer it is, and lower the drop rate. Think about it, most of your permanent mounts are between 7,500 and 15,000 crowns, in order to buy any single permanent mount in the Crown Shop you would need at least $30 worth of crowns.

Apply this to our packs situation, say you bought the 2017 Winter Wonder Pack and won the Wolf of Winter mount. You would have won a permanent mount that normally might have cost a maximum if 15,000 crowns for 299 crowns. In others words you won a $30 permanent mount for a fraction of $5. And this is without even considering what other items you received along with the mount.

This is how they make money off of packs, by lowering the drop rate of the rarer and thus more valuable items to cover the amount of crowns/real money needed to buy those items by themselves.

I don't say this to deter you, I say this so you know why, hopefully that makes things a little less confusing.

I hope you get your mount!
"In others words you won a $30 permanent mount for a fraction of $5."

Which is the entire appeal of buying packs.

It still doesn't have to be next to impossible to actually win one.
There could also be more diversity among common and other items in the packs so people don't get as many repeats; some way to recycle unwanted items besides selling them for a pittance in gold or feeding them to pets; some way to dye furniture so someone doesn't end up with 25 blue chairs that everyone else has as well; etc.

It isn't only about the permanent mount, although that's the sore point for many.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
SparkleTude on Dec 23, 2017 wrote:
"In others words you won a $30 permanent mount for a fraction of $5."

Which is the entire appeal of buying packs.

It still doesn't have to be next to impossible to actually win one.
There could also be more diversity among common and other items in the packs so people don't get as many repeats; some way to recycle unwanted items besides selling them for a pittance in gold or feeding them to pets; some way to dye furniture so someone doesn't end up with 25 blue chairs that everyone else has as well; etc.

It isn't only about the permanent mount, although that's the sore point for many.
It would be nice if their was a better way to deal with repeat items in packs, unfortunately there isn't one yet there may never be one.

It would be nice of KI to do a Throwback Thursday during their Christmas in July event or something of that nature and just sell the individual mounts and gear from the past Winter Wonder Packs like the Wolf of Winter, Snow Hopper Sled, etc... I really had wanted the Snow Hopper mount but never got one, sadly.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Sestiva DeathBring... on Dec 20, 2017 wrote:

If it's any consolation for every person you see with a Wolf of Winter there are probably a few dozen more who are in the exact same boat as you.

If it's an even further consolation and your problem is purely aesthetic/ you just want the mount because it will look good with the Silent Knight gear or to complete you wintery attire (cus that's probably the only reason people want it, it not like it gives any stat bonuses)

I will tell you this: Even if you don't win that wolf mount I saw someone riding through the Commons wearing the Silent Knight's gear on a Snow Ram and he looked absolutely positively amazing! (Whoever you are, mysterious person I want you to know you have amazing fashion sense!)

Seriously I duplicated his look on a couple of my wizards, and I'm shocked that KI didn't put the three Wintertusk rams mounts into the Winter Wonder Pack as possible drops, because they look really nice next to that Silent Knight's gear.

The guy is saw was wearing the white set of the Silent Knight gear and was riding the Snow Ram, so I figured I would try it with my Tawny and Bruin Rams. My findings? The red/green set looks okay with the Tawny Ram, and the black/blue set looks really nice on the Bruin and Snow Rams.

Though I will share a guilty confession, I did manage to win the Wolf of Winter, but honestly I can say I much prefer riding on my Bruin Ram with my Silent Knight gear, than on my wolf.

Yeah, call me crazy, but I must applaud KI for creating gear sets that will actually match really well with other mounts than the Wolf of Winter. And the rams don't come in a pack you can buy them all by themselves without having to gamble away your crowns, in my opinion they're a nice alternative to the Wolf of Winter.