Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fizzle, fizzle makes me sizzle

AuthorMessage
Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not sure I should ask this question here. I just happen to be in Krok right now.

I'm really having trouble with my school spells fizzling and I can't figure out why. I thought maybe it was my wand. I was using a Balance wand, but that's not it. For all the training I've done with back-up spells from other schools why aren't my storm spells being contrary?

Alexis Dawnbreaker, lvl 27 Storm

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
You need to increase your accuracy. Storm spells have the lowest base accuracy, only 70% compared to Balance and Death at 85%, or Life at base 90%.

The only cure is to find gear that boosts your accuracy, knowing that every little bit helps. Storm specific gear will usually boost your accuracy and damage the best, with your best options coming from the Bazaar or, if you're buying Crowns gear, then stick to Professor's Hoard. Professor's is the best bet for getting gear quickly without having to spend a fortune. The gear that sells in the Bazaar at your levels is also very good, but has less health and not much resist. Whatever you get, just be sure it adds accuracy!

It will help, but it won't end fizzling completely.

Fizzling is something a Storm wizard simply must put up with in lower worlds, but as you level up, your Storm-school specific gear will boost your accuracy enough that you'll approach perfect accuracy by the time you reach level 50. Ironically, Storms end up with much better accuracy by Grand-master than Myth, Ice or even Life.

Alia Misthaven, 122
Sierra Stormcaller, 100

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Couple things you want to keep in mind here:

• Storm spells have the lowest accuracy (70%) - Meaning, there's a 30% chance your spell will fail (this is actually a high amount).
  • Spells just as Precision (Increases accuracy by 10%) and Lighting Strike (Increases spell accuracy by 10%) can assist with this.
  • Your wand does not have anything to do with the accuracy of a spell working unless the wand gives a boost to said school accuracy (reflected in your stats).

Now, what you can do:

• Use the spells (in your case lighting strike) before attacking, it helps but does not guarantee you won't fizzle.
  • Use treasure cards such as Sniper, Keen Eyes and Accurate and enchant your cards before using them. This greatly increases the spell's accuracy hence will have a higher chance of not fizzling. Accurate for example will enchant a regular storm spell by 15% resulting in that 70% becoming a now 85% chance of working. - That tied in with Lighting Strike will further increase it to a 95% chance on not fizzling. (These treasure cards go into your side deck and are available for a low cost at bazaar or any treasure card vendor).
  • Gear - Your gear reflects heavily on your overall stats. While not many ideal gear exists for Diviners below level 25, there is however gear which you can use to improve your accuracy.

Also, just a bonus advice here, you don't need to run around tossing training points into random schools, especially if they will have little to no benefit to you. A diviner such as yourself should consider learning Tower Shield from for example.

Good Luck

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
colocrys on Dec 16, 2017 wrote:
I'm not sure I should ask this question here. I just happen to be in Krok right now.

I'm really having trouble with my school spells fizzling and I can't figure out why. I thought maybe it was my wand. I was using a Balance wand, but that's not it. For all the training I've done with back-up spells from other schools why aren't my storm spells being contrary?

Alexis Dawnbreaker, lvl 27 Storm
Storm has the worst accuracy in the game. Just look at your cards, what's the percentage chance of success? Try using gear that boosts your accuracy or use jewel socketing for that as well.