Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wandering Merchant!

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Hello Everyone!

I just had a crazy good idea! (In my opinion anyway)

What if we had a merchant in Wizard City that would walk around? He could live in the shopping district and he'd walk about and if you caught up to them and talked with them you could buy some really cool unique items from them. Maybe it could be that he's some sort of black market dealer and he randomly walks into the different shops inside Wizard City and sells augmented versions of the regular vendors stuff?! I just think we should update Wizard City and get more people to spend time and gold in the Shopping District- Keep it local don't ya know?

What are your thoughts?

Delver
Mar 10, 2015
A need idea, but a little difficult to implement. Games do not work in a Radom patching. A computer does not reason like humans it follows a script. A script always has set paths. Sure you can make them random in order they always be the same.

Allow me to explain: this involves a bit of math. A computer uses a matrix to move across a map. This means that every slot has a x amount of pathway. All maps are squares...

I don't know if kingisle game engine allows this but here is an idea:

1 0 0 1 0 1 1. 0. 0 0 0 1

1 2 0 1 0. 1 2 2 1 00 00 2

1 3 2 3 0 1 3 3 3 1 00 00 2

1 4 5 5 3 1 4 6 6 6 4 1 00 00 2

The numbers add to the sequence path where x = nCk / n-k . This allows the path to travel according to random path that the generator chooses to follow. This gives close to 2^9 path ways. This would allow npc to travel across a grid and not be in same path twice.

And so on this means every row is n^x. As such it means regardless at any given time the NPC always starts at point 1. This would mean that the player would not need to go anywhere. He could stand at point 1 and catch them every time.

Hypothetically even if they could make a NPC walk randomly, how and what would it sell? The problem with shopping district is it sells bad loot. I guess maybe he could give discount to crown packs and stuff like that. Or maybe offer trades of x crown item for x items on a list.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Got something, every Area to a Realm has 3 merchants, who spawn randomly in the spiral, and just walks about, even in hostile enviroment.... and they'll sell highly valuable stuff for a cheaper price, even big dungeon stuff... Darkmoor hat for 230,000$? Stack of 5 LoreMaster tc for 50,000$? but the trick spot is finding them, since they wonder around any world

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
Lukeskywalker1313 on Dec 7, 2017 wrote:
A need idea, but a little difficult to implement. Games do not work in a Radom patching. A computer does not reason like humans it follows a script. A script always has set paths. Sure you can make them random in order they always be the same.

Allow me to explain: this involves a bit of math. A computer uses a matrix to move across a map. This means that every slot has a x amount of pathway. All maps are squares...

I don't know if kingisle game engine allows this but here is an idea:

1 0 0 1 0 1 1. 0. 0 0 0 1

1 2 0 1 0. 1 2 2 1 00 00 2

1 3 2 3 0 1 3 3 3 1 00 00 2

1 4 5 5 3 1 4 6 6 6 4 1 00 00 2

The numbers add to the sequence path where x = nCk / n-k . This allows the path to travel according to random path that the generator chooses to follow. This gives close to 2^9 path ways. This would allow npc to travel across a grid and not be in same path twice.

And so on this means every row is n^x. As such it means regardless at any given time the NPC always starts at point 1. This would mean that the player would not need to go anywhere. He could stand at point 1 and catch them every time.

Hypothetically even if they could make a NPC walk randomly, how and what would it sell? The problem with shopping district is it sells bad loot. I guess maybe he could give discount to crown packs and stuff like that. Or maybe offer trades of x crown item for x items on a list.
So I think you missed my point.... I don't necessarily mean that in needs to walk randomly it can have a defined path or loop or whatever. I was thinking more along the lines of either the following:

A MOVING NPC that will walk around in a predefined path similar to some of the other ambient NPCs currently in higher worlds such as Mirage and Empyrea similar to the wandering merchant ideas found in say Skyrim etc.

An NPC that appears in the various shopping district shops that sells augmented versions of the regular vendors gear. Depending on the temperature, position of the planets and the number of potatoes currently growing in Ireland he would appear inside different shops. Instead of selling a Doomblade he could sell a black market "Frosted Doomblade" which maybe would offer stats similar to a Doomblade, but would also have some amount of Pip conversion on it? (Or maybe some other stat that would help lower levels) It would be sort of like a timer similar to how the secret shop in Krokotopia works (each realm would have the vendor in a different location). Maybe there could be a time where he'd appear by a fence reminescient of when players would try and trade TC for a port to the other side of the fence? (Or even in the Drain pipe by Ms. Tangletree XD) It could also be a collection of NPCs that all are specialized in their respective items?

I'm more interested in hearing how you guys would utilize this character, what would they look like? Would there be more than one? What's their backstory? What items would they sell? How would you make the Shopping District Thrive more? (Not necessarily a Computer Science lesson, which by the way, I feel that they have more than a few computer scientist wizards that would be able to handle something like this satisfactorily if they chose to implement it)!