Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Which Hoard Packs Have Permanent Spells?

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
I keep forgetting, and there's no easy way to find a complete answer on this, and sometimes they have throwback sales.
So let's make a complete list of packs that offer a CHANCE of winning a permanent spell, if you buy a pack.

Oh and don't forget to say the name of the spell and what the spell does, what school it is, etc., (if you know) along with the name of the pack.

If you won one, say if you like it or not maybe.

Thanks.

Defender
Dec 05, 2013
Lore packs drop spells, not hoard packs. There are packs like Keeper's LORE and then there are Road Warrior HOARD. Just pay attention to that

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
In short, any pack that has "Lore" in the title has a chance of dropping 3 permanent spells. That's all you really need to know. Knight's Lore, Ninja's Lore, Immortal's Lore, Keeper's Lore, Wysterian Lore, etc.

Spells I have either crafted or gotten as drops (from Loremaster) and that I actually use and like include:

Savage Paw (Balance, gives a Balance blade)
Athena Battle Sight (Myth, gives a 30% tower shield)
Hephaestus (Fire, gives a 25% Fire bubble)
Brimstone Revenant (Fire, leaves a 25% Fire trap)
Deer Knight (Death, 5 pip DoT/AoE)
Pigsie (Life, heal everyone for about 550).

Spells I'm currently trying to craft:
Loremaster (Balance, leaves a weakness & smokescreen)
Catalan (Storm, leaves a smokescreen)
Pigsie (Life, heal everyone for about 550)

The wiki page for Loremaster (a boss in Dragonspyre) has most of the "Lore" spells listed, including which packs they drop from. The Wysteria spells are not included, however, so the wiki is not fully up to date.

https://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Creature:Loremaster_(The_Atheneum)

Keep in mind that the chances of getting these spells by buying a Lore pack are slim-to-none. The same goes for farming Loremaster. Even if you do get a spell, it may not be useful to you because the spells drop randomly. An off-school spell won't help your wizard much. (I've got Catalan on a Life wizard, for example, and NEVER use it. On the other hand, I'd love to get it for my Storm....)

You're far better off just crafting what you need.

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Thank you both!
So can you craft a permanent spell??

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Freshta on Nov 17, 2017 wrote:
In short, any pack that has "Lore" in the title has a chance of dropping 3 permanent spells. That's all you really need to know. Knight's Lore, Ninja's Lore, Immortal's Lore, Keeper's Lore, Wysterian Lore, etc.

Spells I have either crafted or gotten as drops (from Loremaster) and that I actually use and like include:

Savage Paw (Balance, gives a Balance blade)
Athena Battle Sight (Myth, gives a 30% tower shield)
Hephaestus (Fire, gives a 25% Fire bubble)
Brimstone Revenant (Fire, leaves a 25% Fire trap)
Deer Knight (Death, 5 pip DoT/AoE)
Pigsie (Life, heal everyone for about 550).

Spells I'm currently trying to craft:
Loremaster (Balance, leaves a weakness & smokescreen)
Catalan (Storm, leaves a smokescreen)
Pigsie (Life, heal everyone for about 550)

The wiki page for Loremaster (a boss in Dragonspyre) has most of the "Lore" spells listed, including which packs they drop from. The Wysteria spells are not included, however, so the wiki is not fully up to date.

https://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Creature:Loremaster_(The_Atheneum)

Keep in mind that the chances of getting these spells by buying a Lore pack are slim-to-none. The same goes for farming Loremaster. Even if you do get a spell, it may not be useful to you because the spells drop randomly. An off-school spell won't help your wizard much. (I've got Catalan on a Life wizard, for example, and NEVER use it. On the other hand, I'd love to get it for my Storm....)

You're far better off just crafting what you need.

Alia Misthaven
What vendor sells the recipes for the Loremaster spells?

Steven Ghoststalker

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Spell recipes are located in two worlds.

Yan Kan Kook is a secret vendor hidden deep within the Shirataki Temple in Mooshu. Unfortunately, you have to complete the whole instance and kill the Plague Oni before you can talk to him.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/NPC:Master_Yan_Kan_Kook#axzz4ycCxKGlW

Many of his recipes cost $60,000, so go in with plenty of $$$. You might need to be Legendary crafter level before you can buy his recipes. Be sure to finish the Zafarian crafting quest before you go find Yan Kan Kook.

Grady is a secret vendor hidden inside of the Dun Scaith instance in Dun Dara, Avalon. You must defeat the Indigo Giant before Grady will appear to you, but you can port in to a friend if you haven't quested that far into Avalon yet. As long as you are in the battle ring and alive when the Indigo Giant is defeated, you'll see Grady.

I'm not sure about Yan Kan Kook, but I do know for a fact that you must have completed the Zafarian crafting quest before you can buy Grady's recipes. Most of them cost $60,000 gold. Grady has the three newest, Wysterian Lore spells.

Spells not yet available to craft:
Burning Rampage - drops from Lambent Fire in Avalon, Crystal Caves
Catch of the Day - drops from Takanoku in Mooshu, Shirataki Temple
Sacred Charge - drops from Aphrodite in Darkmoor, in Graveyard
Headless Horseman (Halloween Gloomthorn pack only)

For all spell recipes, you will need to gather Amber, which is difficult in itself. There's a separate thread on ways to get Amber:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/crafting/easier-amber-8ad6a4245d831c64015da4d4f32843d5?page=1

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Thanks.
So, once you craft a spell is it permanent or is it a card you have to keep in your deck?

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
SparkleTude on Nov 19, 2017 wrote:
Thanks.
So, once you craft a spell is it permanent or is it a card you have to keep in your deck?
Once you craft a spell, it's permanent like a school spell. If you're Myth and you crafted Athena Battle Sight, the card will be a found among all your other Myth school spells, like Minotaur and Humongofrog.

You can add enchantments to it the same way you would any other spell that your wizard learned in the game.

Training point buy-backs do NOT impact crafted spells. They are treated the same as your school spells and stay on your wizard's account forever.

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Freshta on Nov 18, 2017 wrote:
Spell recipes are located in two worlds.

Yan Kan Kook is a secret vendor hidden deep within the Shirataki Temple in Mooshu. Unfortunately, you have to complete the whole instance and kill the Plague Oni before you can talk to him.

Many of his recipes cost $60,000, so go in with plenty of $$$. You might need to be Legendary crafter level before you can buy his recipes. Be sure to finish the Zafarian crafting quest before you go find Yan Kan Kook.

Grady is a secret vendor hidden inside of the Dun Scaith instance in Dun Dara, Avalon. You must defeat the Indigo Giant before Grady will appear to you, but you can port in to a friend if you haven't quested that far into Avalon yet. As long as you are in the battle ring and alive when the Indigo Giant is defeated, you'll see Grady.

I'm not sure about Yan Kan Kook, but I do know for a fact that you must have completed the Zafarian crafting quest before you can buy Grady's recipes. Most of them cost $60,000 gold. Grady has the three newest, Wysterian Lore spells.

Spells not yet available to craft:
Burning Rampage - drops from Lambent Fire in Avalon, Crystal Caves
Catch of the Day - drops from Takanoku in Mooshu, Shirataki Temple
Sacred Charge - drops from Aphrodite in Darkmoor, in Graveyard
Headless Horseman (Halloween Gloomthorn pack only)

For all spell recipes, you will need to gather Amber, which is difficult in itself. There's a separate thread on ways to get Amber:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/crafting/easier-amber-8ad6a4245d831c64015da4d4f32843d5?page=1

Alia Misthaven
Amber, why does it have to be amber?

I was the OP of the Amber thread. *sigh*

I'm still working on the Indigo Giant. I'll keep my eyes peeled for Dun Scaith.

I finally did get enough Amber to craft Goat Monk and am now saving it (slowly) for Luminous Weaver.

Thank you Alia

Steven Ghoststalker

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
SparkleTude on Nov 19, 2017 wrote:
Thanks.
Once you have crafted a spell it's permanent. You can then equip it in your deck just like any other learned spell.

Steven Ghoststalker

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Thank you all and thank you both for answering my latest question.

So it's a permanent spell a la a school spell but it's still a card that requires addition to any deck. Got it. Thank you.

I was hoping a crafted spell could be more like the Lore pack spells which are added permanently, don't have to be in one's school and aren't a card. They just stay as a possibility forever. I love that. Can't have everything though!

I'm still trying now and then to win a Lore pack spell on my main wizard. Some of my sometime wizards won a spell -- none in their school but still much appreciated, especially the Piggy spell because it's a healing spell. Very handy for non Life wizards. I do train some of my wizards in Life as a secondary school, up to Satyr (healing spell), but still. It is nice to save training points for other things in some cases.

I have a theory that the chances to win are higher when everyone else is buying a lore pack at the same time (or whatever pack.) That's because the odds of winning each thing are probably coded in; and so if it's written, that prize X will be won every few thousand purchases, and you have 10,000 people buying at the same time -- each one might have a higher chance of being number 3087 or whatever that lucky number is.
Just a theory. But I notice if I'm to win it's when things first go on sale. Or if a very popular pack has a price reduction, and lots of people are buying, I notice odds are best for me then too. Otherwise, I tend to get 'stuck in ruts' i.e. winning the same things or types of things every purchase, in a row.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Thanks KI for the Best of the Best sale.
I tried some more Lore packs since they were 199 each. Still lost. Lol

I did get a couple of cool stuffed owls, though. And a lot of seeds.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
SparkleTude on Nov 20, 2017 wrote:
Thank you all and thank you both for answering my latest question.

So it's a permanent spell a la a school spell but it's still a card that requires addition to any deck. Got it. Thank you.

I was hoping a crafted spell could be more like the Lore pack spells which are added permanently, don't have to be in one's school and aren't a card. They just stay as a possibility forever. I love that. Can't have everything though!

I'm still trying now and then to win a Lore pack spell on my main wizard. Some of my sometime wizards won a spell -- none in their school but still much appreciated, especially the Piggy spell because it's a healing spell. Very handy for non Life wizards. I do train some of my wizards in Life as a secondary school, up to Satyr (healing spell), but still. It is nice to save training points for other things in some cases.

I have a theory that the chances to win are higher when everyone else is buying a lore pack at the same time (or whatever pack.) That's because the odds of winning each thing are probably coded in; and so if it's written, that prize X will be won every few thousand purchases, and you have 10,000 people buying at the same time -- each one might have a higher chance of being number 3087 or whatever that lucky number is.
Just a theory. But I notice if I'm to win it's when things first go on sale. Or if a very popular pack has a price reduction, and lots of people are buying, I notice odds are best for me then too. Otherwise, I tend to get 'stuck in ruts' i.e. winning the same things or types of things every purchase, in a row.
"I was hoping a crafted spell could be more like the Lore pack spells which are added permanently, don't have to be in one's school and aren't a card. They just stay as a possibility forever. I love that."

That is what a crafted spell is like.

It's permanent, not a treasure card. It's permanent, not a "training point" spell. It can't be sold back the way a secondary "trained" school spell is. Once you craft it, the spell is always there in your book just the same way a Lore dropped spell is.

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Freshta on Nov 22, 2017 wrote:
"I was hoping a crafted spell could be more like the Lore pack spells which are added permanently, don't have to be in one's school and aren't a card. They just stay as a possibility forever. I love that."

That is what a crafted spell is like.

It's permanent, not a treasure card. It's permanent, not a "training point" spell. It can't be sold back the way a secondary "trained" school spell is. Once you craft it, the spell is always there in your book just the same way a Lore dropped spell is.

Alia Misthaven
But you said the card will be found in your deck.

"If you're Myth and you crafted Athena Battle Sight, the card will be a found among all your other Myth school spells, like Minotaur and Humongofrog." - Freshta

So it's not a card to be added in and used, it's a permanent spell like from the Lore pack.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
SparkleTude on Nov 23, 2017 wrote:
But you said the card will be found in your deck.

"If you're Myth and you crafted Athena Battle Sight, the card will be a found among all your other Myth school spells, like Minotaur and Humongofrog." - Freshta

So it's not a card to be added in and used, it's a permanent spell like from the Lore pack.
I guess to me they're all "cards" since we put them in a "spell deck" and draw or discard them like playing cards.

Anyway, yes. It's a permanent spell, not one you can sell back for training points.

Alia Misthaven

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
Freshta on Nov 23, 2017 wrote:
I guess to me they're all "cards" since we put them in a "spell deck" and draw or discard them like playing cards.

Anyway, yes. It's a permanent spell, not one you can sell back for training points.

Alia Misthaven
If you have to add it then it's a card...

The lore spells won in the packs, to my memory, do not have to be added into the deck.