Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Multi Round Spells

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 06, 2017
What is the trick to using multi-round spells. Mine only seem to work one round. I have not been able to find an answer during research. (Level 15)

Lump52

Thanks,

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Lump1952 on Nov 15, 2017 wrote:
What is the trick to using multi-round spells. Mine only seem to work one round. I have not been able to find an answer during research. (Level 15)

Lump52

Thanks,
Are you talking about damage over time spells? Those are spells that do damage over a certain number of rounds. Depending on your school and level, which I see you are only 15, it could be some time until you get a spell that deals its damage over time. The Fire school specializes in doing damage over time, but a school like Storm does not. Even at level 125, Storm still does not have a trainable damage over time spell.

Delver
Nov 16, 2017
I'm level 34 Storm and I'm using all my training points for fire spells since I get my storm spells for free. I also like the damage-over-time spells and also the multi-enemy hits. I'm running 3 decks - 1 Storm - 1 Fire - 1 Combined for longer battles. Once you step into a dungeon for example, before you move, check to see what schools you're up against. You have time before you actually enter the battle to open your spell book and change your deck if you need to. Can't fight fire with fire so to speak. You also have time to check your treasure cards to make sure you've got some back-up. And here's another little trick that works great for me. Use a wand that has sparkles attached instead of cards. The sparkles never fizzle. They're not high charge but they're perfect for breaking a...uh...can't remember what you call it....the brown blade going around your eyes that cuts your next spell. If you're only casting a sparkle it's no big deal. And one more thing. Sparkles cost no pips to cast.

Armiger
Jan 11, 2012
colocrys on Dec 2, 2017 wrote:
I'm level 34 Storm and I'm using all my training points for fire spells since I get my storm spells for free. I also like the damage-over-time spells and also the multi-enemy hits. I'm running 3 decks - 1 Storm - 1 Fire - 1 Combined for longer battles. Once you step into a dungeon for example, before you move, check to see what schools you're up against. You have time before you actually enter the battle to open your spell book and change your deck if you need to. Can't fight fire with fire so to speak. You also have time to check your treasure cards to make sure you've got some back-up. And here's another little trick that works great for me. Use a wand that has sparkles attached instead of cards. The sparkles never fizzle. They're not high charge but they're perfect for breaking a...uh...can't remember what you call it....the brown blade going around your eyes that cuts your next spell. If you're only casting a sparkle it's no big deal. And one more thing. Sparkles cost no pips to cast.
sparkles = wand hits
brown blade = weakness

Wand hits are also fabulous for breaking shields on opponents especially if they take effect before your prisms

Lump1952 - can you give us a little more info? What spell are you using? Is the enemy dying on the first hit? If you're using a treasure card of Heckhound, that's going to use all your pips, so the damage would be much different than a fire elf. In general, the BIGGEST thing you need to consider when using a DoT (damage over time) spell, is if you need to use prisms or not. If you're a fire wizard, and facing a fire monster, and you want to use a fire DoT, you need to consider the resistance of the enemy. At YOUR level, it will be non-existant or slight, but at higher levels, it can be MUCH higher. If an enemy dies because your first, of 3 hits, killed them, it doesnt matter what the other damage would have been. When using prisms, you need to use one prism for every hit of the spell if you want the prism to work for the whole spell. So, for example, Fire cat only hits once, so you'd only need one prism. Fire Elf hits 4 times (the initial hit and then damage over 3 rounds), so you would need 4 prisms IF you want each hit to utilize a prism effect.