Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Medulla boss fight

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Nov 05, 2012
Dude, the last fight was just released, and front he pics I've seen it's ridiculous, medulla's got 125,000 health, who thought of that and can you give that guy a medal for the biggest surprise of wiz 2017? Now, can you get him on making gear at level 130 just as Op? That would be beautiful!

Explorer
Jun 06, 2011
More than once have I died to an unfair battle against Medulla, boss with 125,000 health, and minions with 20,000 health. I use my death and my storm, both of which cannot conquer this boss. HELP.

Defender
Aug 03, 2015
Focus on killing the minions first, after you defeat them, they help you by putting smoke screens on Medulla (not the handiest but better than nothing).

I suggest going in with a team of 4, 1 of them needs to be a life for healing, 1 needs to be storm to be main hitter, idk bout other 2 but as long as you got a team of four with a storm and life then you should be fine. This battle takes alot of patience, it took me over a hour to beat him

Community Leader
Maybe try doing this fight with the help of a team, and try to co-ordinate before you go into the battle. Also, if you keep failing, try seeing what you're doing wrong and what can be improved from your end instead of rushing here and asking to have yet another boss nerfed again.

Plus, there are a lot of helpful people in the community who wouldn't mind lending a hand and maybe some advice (like for example guides).

Writer and Admin at Final Bastion

Check us out for all things Pirate101 and Wizard101 PvE/PvP

Defender
Aug 03, 2015
There is a cheat. join the battle late and when Medulla confuses you, use sap power and Medulla is dead in 2 rounds

Explorer
Apr 09, 2011
Trigon101060 on Nov 4, 2017 wrote:
There is a cheat. join the battle late and when Medulla confuses you, use sap power and Medulla is dead in 2 rounds
i believe that was fixed. it will kill a minion you summoned. and if you lost the minion you instantly die if you cast it.

Survivor
Mar 20, 2012
I finished it first try, with myself (a fire), two deaths, and a storm. No one healed (except for one of the minions, not spoiling who). It took a lot of fleeing and coming back, but overall, it was more annoying than hard. Good luck to you.

Survivor
May 09, 2009
I did it this week, on deck we had only cards that were not too harmful, such as enchants, auras, blades and shields. All of our attack and heals were treasure cards.
So when we were confused we were casting auras on self, and maybe casting blades and shields on him. Medulla cant use our enchants.
We avoided hitting each other, and saved our pips. When the tank had enough blades and pips, he would discard, get the hit and attack. Same with heals. When needed, the healer would discard and do its job.

It takes long, but it wasn't too complicated.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2009
i beat him first try after a had a team of 4
with 2 storms
a life and me the fire

its best to first kill beans then pork or sparck then focus on boss

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
Carry some Cleanse or a Taunt spell to use when he confuses you.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
i just did this fight with 2 other wizards, and i will say this: i enjoyed most of empyrea, but this instance made me wonder if whoever allowed it to be part of the main quest line was born with a mouse and keyboard in hand, since s/he clearly has no idea what it's like to be a casual player.

i joined via team up and we started with 4 people: 2 death wizards, an ice with menu chat, and me (balance).

medulla really liked me. he kept me confused for the first 6 rounds and i had to discard everything in my hand to avoid hurting my teammates. i ran out of cards quickly, of course, and had to flee... then, one of our team decided that she was too good for us and told us as much before she left.

my response: k.
me, internally: "good. don't let the door hit you on the way out, and may your entire team rage-quit on you."

this person's attitude made me even more determined to help my remaining teammates, and so we kept going. we all died and fled a lot, and it didn't help that our poor menu chatter kept triggering the cheats because menu chat lacks the phrases for us to tell him what he was doing wrong. unfortunately, he never did figure it out, and i got hit with many, many weavers as a result. but i will give him that he didn't quit and was just as persistent as the rest of us.

of our 3 schools, neither is known for high damage. so it was a long slog~ took us just over 3 hours, but it got done. our pets kept us healed, and all 3 of us were alive when medulla bit the dust, so i guess it wasn't a complete waste.

to be clear, i am not asking for a nerf: by all means, keep your crazy cheats... but they don't belong in the main quest line.

i'd have been okay with this as optional side content, so that the hardcore players can have their "challenge". but an instance in which the only viable strategy is to discard and die/flee constantly is a bit much for the main arc. story content should be doable by everyone, and that's all we filthy casuals have ever asked.

-von

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
My two friends and I got thru this dungeon last night. It took us over 4 hours to complete but at least its behind us now. I am life and my other two friends are ice and life. Not the greatest schools for getting thru this in a timely manner. but these are the friends I work with and I am not going to go thru the team up nightmare.

I am not asking, or expecting, for this dungeon to be nerfed. It was slog fest for our whole team tho, and totally unfun. As a more casual player I find all the hardcore stuff awful but I suffer thru it ( just wish it was kept only in side quests tho, and out of main quest line). No one should have to suffer thru a dungeon for over 4 hours. I play a game to have fun not suffer. If it wasn't for my friends I would be long gone by now.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
For those that like to state what team composition 'is necessary' to complete the dungeon, I would like to say, not every team can have a storm and/or fire to help them out. There are going to be many different combinations of schools. Some work better than others. But, everyone should be able to complete the dungeon without having to rely heavily on one or two schools to complete it. It causes a bottleneck of wizards lining up outside the sigil, waiting their turn for a storm, fire and/or life to show up and help.

I would like to see the dungeon tweaked a little: Lower enemy crit chance a bit (it seemed they crit 95% of the time). Allow us to crit block once in a while. Actually have Medulla fizzle once in a while when the smokescreen is cast on him from Pork. Once Pork, Beans & Sparck are freed, actually have them do something more to help us instead of just standing around. Allow us to critical once in a while (I swear it was decreased just for that dungeon).

It was a grueling 4.5 hours. How many people have that much time to dedicate to a dungeon like that?

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
I'm just gonna offer my thoughts on this subject. I thought the Medulla fight was fine before it got buffed in the November 16 update, but now it is just ridiculous. I think the fight will be perfectly doable again if Kingsisle changes it back to the way it was before, where aoe stuff goes through normally even when you are confused.

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
BrahmShadow on Nov 20, 2017 wrote:
I'm just gonna offer my thoughts on this subject. I thought the Medulla fight was fine before it got buffed in the November 16 update, but now it is just ridiculous. I think the fight will be perfectly doable again if Kingsisle changes it back to the way it was before, where aoe stuff goes through normally even when you are confused.
i'd venture to say you're probably right; i never got to do this fight before it was buffed, but i agree nonetheless.

like black pearl and brynnerofreign, i find stuff like this to be majorly un-fun, but i suffer through it anyway because i usually don't have a choice. story content should be doable by all schools in any combination. whether you're a soloist or a multi-player (duo, trio, or full) team.

it sounds like your suggestion would definitely make things doable (i'm reluctant to say 'easier', because i agree with stephanie jadecloud that the instance was more annoying than hard); even if kingsisle were to keep the cheats and drop the enemies' health by 25-30%, so that it's not such a long slog, i'd be okay with that too.

luckily for me, my broken leg and i aren't going anywhere, therefore i was totally fine with staying up until 6 am to help my team. but, for the majority of players, who have other commitments (work, school, etc.), a 3-4 hour dungeon just isn't feasible.

at least darkmoor was optional, in that i had 2 options: i could either burn myself out farming for the gear or just retire my remaining 5 wizards (i chose option #2).

-von

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
BrahmShadow on Nov 20, 2017 wrote:
I never did the Medulla fight in test realm so I didn't know it was buffed. Why do they always buff these dungeons when they are either just right, or even too hard, for the majority of people? I know that once we freed all the minions the life one never healed us once. I thought he was supposed to help us. Also the fire minion's smokescreen rarely caused Medulla to fizz. The minion with the cannon thing was the only one who was really helpful.

Idk what was buffed in the Nov. 16th update, but maybe that dungeon should be dialed back to how it was before that.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Dr Von on Nov 21, 2017 wrote:
i'd venture to say you're probably right; i never got to do this fight before it was buffed, but i agree nonetheless.

like black pearl and brynnerofreign, i find stuff like this to be majorly un-fun, but i suffer through it anyway because i usually don't have a choice. story content should be doable by all schools in any combination. whether you're a soloist or a multi-player (duo, trio, or full) team.

it sounds like your suggestion would definitely make things doable (i'm reluctant to say 'easier', because i agree with stephanie jadecloud that the instance was more annoying than hard); even if kingsisle were to keep the cheats and drop the enemies' health by 25-30%, so that it's not such a long slog, i'd be okay with that too.

luckily for me, my broken leg and i aren't going anywhere, therefore i was totally fine with staying up until 6 am to help my team. but, for the majority of players, who have other commitments (work, school, etc.), a 3-4 hour dungeon just isn't feasible.

at least darkmoor was optional, in that i had 2 options: i could either burn myself out farming for the gear or just retire my remaining 5 wizards (i chose option #2).

-von
The fight was actually pretty easy before the buff, as all you had to do to counter the confusion cheat was just basically do an aoe hit :P My Ice is stuck now at the moment, and my Balance and Death are at the part where you have to disguise the pod, so they're rapidly approaching Medulla too...

I tried doing the Medulla fight after the buff, and my questing partner kept getting us killed with his Raging Bull lol. I did some research on how to counter the confusion cheat now, and I see some people just delete everything in their hand when they're confused? :/ That seems rather too much imo, but I also see some people have all their hits as treasure cards, so there's no way Medulla can force them to do an attack if no hits are in their main deck. I also thought spamming Pierce treasure cards works when you're confused, but I've heard reports where Medulla forces you to select a card different than the one you selected?

Either way, the fight is basically guaranteed to take a while, and I'd rather do other stuff than spend hours in just one fight :/

Lol I never before asked for a nerf on anything in this game, but Kingsisle, please nerf this boss back to the way he was before November 16? :D Medulla seems a bit too much the way he is right now :/

Edit: I also find it horrifying that Kingsisle is secretly changing stuff in the game without putting it in the Update Notes. If you are buffing a boss, then don't the players have a right to know about it? Grandfather Spider's health was also changed recently, and that wasn't in the Update Notes either. Also, the November 2017 Update Notes aren't listed as an option when viewing all the different updates that occurred to the game, and the post-Live updates aren't listed in the Empyrea Update Notes either.

Explorer
Nov 11, 2010
I did this fight 3 times with my life wizard and others, once in the test realm.What fun it was.First of all when you get confused drop any cards Medulla can use against the team.As a life wizard I had some revive cards for others on the team.I made sure to drop them if they became active when I was confused and leaving no active hit cards Medulla could use or healing cards.Most pets are immune to medulla's confusion but not all I think. Make sure your team understand the rules,try to kill the minion first so the can help you on this quest,even the cannon will now help against Medulla.It's a long fight so don't have no baby's who chicken out because they have to go to bed or some other excuse.I can't wait for part 2,have fun wizard, it all in the game.Paul Ironriver

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I tried doing the Medulla Boss fight and I got no where except being defeated without doing any damage to them for more that an hour straight. I looked the battle up on Duelist101.com and took in the info how to win the battle. It didn't work that way at all. I'm am not happy the way that battle is set up. It's totally unfair for those who can't get through it. Those people from KI who designed that battle thinking it's not hard is more than welcome to get their derriere in the game and show us how to win. Many of us had tried and tried again and failed Those who say it's not that difficult and beat it the first, second or the third time around, I'm asking please help me with the battle and show me the moves so my other wizards can beat it.

Explorer
Jul 01, 2009
Patrick Ravenbane on Nov 23, 2017 wrote:
I tried doing the Medulla Boss fight and I got no where except being defeated without doing any damage to them for more that an hour straight. I looked the battle up on Duelist101.com and took in the info how to win the battle. It didn't work that way at all. I'm am not happy the way that battle is set up. It's totally unfair for those who can't get through it. Those people from KI who designed that battle thinking it's not hard is more than welcome to get their derriere in the game and show us how to win. Many of us had tried and tried again and failed Those who say it's not that difficult and beat it the first, second or the third time around, I'm asking please help me with the battle and show me the moves so my other wizards can beat it.
We only had three of us (2 lifes and an ice), so already we were at a disadvantage. We did beat the boss on the second try however. What worked the best for us was to keep our hits and big heals in our TC deck, while leaving blades.etc in the main deck. That way if we were confused we wouldn't hurt our team mates, or heal the enemy with a big heal. If we happened to have drawn an attack or large heal TC, and then didn't get to use it, we would discard it on the next round rather than risk having the boss use it on us or heal himself with it. There might be a better, faster way to get this done but this is what worked for us.

It still took us over 4 hours because there were only 3 of us and our combination of schools was less than ideal to say the least.

Good luck and hope you can beat this fight soon. :)

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
Patrick Ravenbane on Nov 23, 2017 wrote:
while i did get through it on the first try, it was only because my team of 3 and i kept at it long after we should have abandoned the mission.

we struggled, hard; i stopped counting the number of times we had to flee and port back, either because we ran out of cards due to the constant discarding or got hit with some insane spell (by the bosses *and* our menu chatter, who kept triggering cheats because menu chat lacks the phrases for us to tell him what he was doing wrong).

tl;dr the duelist guide was of no use to us either.

it's like i mentioned earlier: the person who designed this and allowed it to be main-arc content that is not optional was clearly born with a mouse and keyboard in hand (translation: is not and has never been a casual player, therefore is completely oblivious to the hurdles we face).

if anyone on this board would like help with this nightmare, i'd be happy to lend my wizard to your cause. i still have a membership for another couple of weeks, so message me on central if you'd like to set something up; misery loves company, after all, so let's be miserable together!

i am in atlantic time, which translates to:

eastern +1hr
central +2hrs
pacific +4hrs

hopefully we can get a group together and find a time/day that works for everyone.

-von

(w101central id: Von Shadowsong)

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I'd like to add: Why was it buffed? It was challenging enough the way it was. Were there complainers thinking only themselves wanting a buff? Maybe they're the ones should help others get through the battle. I agree, a 3-4 hour dungeon is not feasible. KI, bare in mind there are people; parents with children present, those with medical problems who can't sit that long at a time. Is fair for them that these players can never finish the battle to unlock others? KI, please take this in to consideration and change the battle back to the way it was.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Black Pearl on Nov 24, 2017 wrote:
We only had three of us (2 lifes and an ice), so already we were at a disadvantage. We did beat the boss on the second try however. What worked the best for us was to keep our hits and big heals in our TC deck, while leaving blades.etc in the main deck. That way if we were confused we wouldn't hurt our team mates, or heal the enemy with a big heal. If we happened to have drawn an attack or large heal TC, and then didn't get to use it, we would discard it on the next round rather than risk having the boss use it on us or heal himself with it. There might be a better, faster way to get this done but this is what worked for us.

It still took us over 4 hours because there were only 3 of us and our combination of schools was less than ideal to say the least.

Good luck and hope you can beat this fight soon. :)
Use tc deck will be helpful, thanks. What happened to me and my team wasn't the spell casting on ourselves. It was Medulla putting confusion on all of us every 3 rounds; lasting for 2 rounds giving the team i round to blade for a good hit. By that time the ones that can hit is dead. Is there a way to decrease the times Medulla puts confusion on us??

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I forgot to mention, I live in the U.S., Wisconsin Central time. I play every day. Wizard: Tarlac Swifblade and Sloan Stormcatcher . Help with Medulla battle will be awesome.

This is when Wizard Mail Box would come in handy for meeting arrangements.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Sorry to hear the Duelist 101 Guide wasn't as helpful as we had hoped. We will look into making a tips and tricks article for Medulla which may be a better fit for this kind of boss.

In the meantime, I just finished a solo video of Medulla. Watching it might be helpful in terms of what to expect or how to counter his confusion mechanics: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?493979-Medulla-Solo(Buffed-Version)-Full-Health-Finish