Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

explain critical rating

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 08, 2014
Please explain to me why to players with exact same critical rating have totally different critical hit chance? You don't need any stats or character sheets to explain it though I expect someone will ask for it.

Sign here if you think critical should be changed so gear has a percent rather than a rating!

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
yuyingli on Oct 27, 2017 wrote:
Please explain to me why to players with exact same critical rating have totally different critical hit chance? You don't need any stats or character sheets to explain it though I expect someone will ask for it.

Sign here if you think critical should be changed so gear has a percent rather than a rating!
What you are experiencing is critical decay... It basically means you need more critical rating as you level up to maintain the same percentage you once had. It is in place to ensure that you try to actively change your gear as you level up, because Kingsisle doesn't want you to use the same gear, say, 50 levels after you first equipped it.

Kingsisle made a mistake a while back when they gave WAY too powerful gear at level 100, and there was basically no room for character progression because everyone already had the highest possible stats. They even admitted, looking back now, that they should have designed Wizard101 with more rating statistics than percentages. Nowadays, as we level up in the third arc, Kingsisle's strategy is to offer non-perfect gear in an attempt to make players stop using the Malistaire/Exalted gear sets.

I am against changing the critical on gear from a rating statistic to a percentage.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
yuyingli on Oct 27, 2017 wrote:

They are different levels, critical and block decay as you level up, meaning you need increasing amounts to maintain a critical percentage.

this information is actually in your character sheet!

Explorer
Jan 03, 2014
please read a post before commenting; OP asks why to players with exact same rating have different percentages and I wonder the same thing

level 50 fire with 200 critical has about 25% chance
level 50 ice with 200 critical has about 10% chance
level 50 storm with 200 critical has about 50% chance

may not be exact but you get the point and we want to know why; every school with the same critical rating should have exact same % chance;

Explorer
Jan 03, 2014
FusionSun on Oct 27, 2017 wrote:
What you are experiencing is critical decay... It basically means you need more critical rating as you level up to maintain the same percentage you once had. It is in place to ensure that you try to actively change your gear as you level up, because Kingsisle doesn't want you to use the same gear, say, 50 levels after you first equipped it.

Kingsisle made a mistake a while back when they gave WAY too powerful gear at level 100, and there was basically no room for character progression because everyone already had the highest possible stats. They even admitted, looking back now, that they should have designed Wizard101 with more rating statistics than percentages. Nowadays, as we level up in the third arc, Kingsisle's strategy is to offer non-perfect gear in an attempt to make players stop using the Malistaire/Exalted gear sets.

I am against changing the critical on gear from a rating statistic to a percentage.
Of course your against it since it would be more fair to everyone who plays rather than favor a minute number of players such as yourself.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
When it was introduced, Critical was supposed to be a wild-card, sudden bonus doubling of damage. It was supposed to be unreliable and rare, just like Storm's Wild Bolt spells. That's the reason why Storm school always has the highest critical rates/percentage and Ice has the lowest.

In the early years of critical, the critical vs. block mechanic was very flawed, so that most bosses blocked critical hits 100% of the time. In PVE, most players shifted away from critical because it was so unreliable; they played on heavy damage instead.

The next problem came from Darkmoor and Exalted gear, which boosted critical and block rates too high and at the same time, KI changed the critical and block mechanics. They were tying to get back to that original vision of it being random. Instead of being random, critical and block both became reliable.

So, the next thing they they did is ramp up decay. As we level up, the "percentage chance" of a critical hit or block goes down. They're trying to get us back to the days where criticals are random and unreliable.

I'm not sure if this answers the original question, but giving a history of how critical has been implemented in the game might help. This is mainly what I've observed as a PVE player. (PVP is an entirely different matter, with critical being a huge problem in the arena.)

Alia Misthaven

PS: if I've made any mistakes, hopefully someone who knows better will correct me.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
ghowriter on Oct 29, 2017 wrote:
please read a post before commenting; OP asks why to players with exact same rating have different percentages and I wonder the same thing

may not be exact but you get the point and we want to know why; every school with the same critical rating should have exact same % chance;
This is blatantly false. All schools have the same rating percent per rating number as long as their levels match

Life, Ice and Storm lvl 50 all have the exact same critical % if their rating is the same.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013

I am 99% sure that the critical/block system does not work that way, and what you are saying has been a debunked myth on how the critical system works.

At level 110, all the schools need 750 critical rating to have 100% critical rating. At level 120, all the schools need 795 critical rating to have 100% critical rating. The number needed is the same across all the schools.

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Of course your against it since it would be more fair to everyone who plays rather than favor a minute number of players such as yourself.
I have no idea what you're talking about? The game needs critical decay in order for there to be some type of character progression. You can't expect Waterworks gear to offer the same viability at level 125 as it did at level 60.