Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Trying to Solo as and Ice Wizard

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 31, 2009
So I've been playing Zafaria for a little while now and the one thing that I noticed is Soloing as an Ice wizard has been a hassle. Most things you can do alone, but sometimes even the bosses are just too much. Let's not forget the hassle of getting gear for a level 70. I mean my point here is at this point it seems like you need to do stuff with at least one other person to farm for good gear or defeat major bosses to progress in the storyline. As much as I love playing with other, but I prefer to solo.

Outside of my little rant I would love to get some suggestions on how best to solo Zafaria. Which gear is worth farming/crafting? Should I do any side quests for something? Any suggestions help a ton.

~ Juan DarkGlade
lvl 71

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
Well,
  • The Waterworks Gear still proves the best if you haven't gotten that from as yet.
  • Level 56 school only rings from Bazaar are a great help for now. However, if you're interested in Healing Boost, consider the crafting the rings from the recipe vendor in Vestrilund.
  • A Great Pet helps! One with a mixture of healing and resistance or just a full out ward. Depends on how you play.

As an ice, your battles will take longer and that's okay. We've the defenses to tank hits while we prepare to counter.
And yes, do your side quests. Since you intend on soloing, you must stay ahead of the game in terms of levels. It gets harder as you imagine and you can't always count on a storm to swoop in to save you.

Provide info about your training points, how did you use them?

I'd suggest since Ice doesn't have any reliable ways of healing, you may want to consider training life up to Satyr if you haven't already.

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
For now just stick to the Waterworks Gear, it’s pretty much still the best thing for you. If you really want to, I suppose you could farm Atlantea for the Poseidon gear but in all honesty Waterworks will do just fine. The wand there is something that’s seriously worth considering getting, though. Once you get to Dun Dara in Avalon, you get the chance to craft some fantastic boots that give lots of critical block. Just search up 76 Avalon Crafted Gear. You can also craft the rest of the set, but again, I prefer Waterworks.

I highly recommend farming Tower of the Helephant for the Lexicon Blade and Aureate Band, or at the very least the Lexicon Blade, as they’re both very good. The ring is kinda up to you, as the Aureate Band is great, but the level 56 rings are surprisingly very good and can last you up to level 90, where you can get the Alpha and Omega Ring. Do go for the Lexicon Blade though. Like Star Edward said, the Vestrilund Crafted Ring is also a good option.

Again, like Star Edward said, if you’re gonna solo, you have to stay on top of side quests. Don’t do every single one if you don’t want to, but get at least 8-10 levels before going on to a new world. If you haven’t already, train Death up to Feint and Life up to at least Sprite, though going for Satyr is very good. Training Reshuffle is a good idea too.

Best of luck!
Thomas Wildstaff, 90
Nathan IceBringer, 28

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
The very best gear from level 60 - 100 is Waterworks.

The exception to that, if you prefer damage over defenses, is the House of Scales Robe of the Sistrum. My level 73 Ice is wearing that, plus the Waterworks hat. She's just crafted the level 74 Avalon robe so she'll have it as an option, but I don't know if she'll switch or not. (Haven't tested it yet.)

The very best ring and athame from level 60-90 come from the Tower of the Helephant in Wysteria.

Second best are the crafted ring and athame from Wintertusk, followed by rings in the bazaar.

The crafted level 95 gear in Khrysalis does provide stronger damage, but you'll lose some valued universal resist. It may be a good idea to craft it anyway, even though level 100 offers some truly amazing gear options, because it may help get you to that incredible gear.

The very best gear at level 100 up is Darkmoor.

However, the Krokopatra and Rattlebones exalted duels drop robes far more easily (1 battle instead of 9 just to get to the main boss!), and they are considered near equivalent to Darkmoor.

The best rings and athames at that level come from end world bosses (Khrysalis, Polaris, Mirage) and/or Darkmoor. It depends on what you want: defense? extra blades? critical? There are a lot of choices.

____

As for surviving, my Ice has Life mastery but she also has a heal and shield-spamming pet. Her owl boosts resist and throws out tower shields, unicorns, fairies and sprites so often that Fiona rarely needs to use any actual heal spells herself. Having a pet that helps with damage, defense or utility is a definite must.

Alia Misthaven, 120
Fiona Frostweaver, 73