Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Training my first pet, need advice!

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jul 21, 2017
So I've gotten my Scarecrow to Ancient, with the help of many snacks and plenty of mini-games in the Pet Plaza/Pavilion or whatever it's called.

It's stats are all maxed, strength, intellect, power, etc. so now I'm just trying to get it up to mega, which means I need a lot of experience.

I know Scarecrow isn't the "best" pet or anything, I'm just trying to get a handle on the process of training pets at the moment, after which I'll be practicing "hatching" them.

So of course I have to ask- how do I know how much experience I'll get from a snack? A rank 9 for example. I'm looking at central, but it only lists the stat boosts, which at this point is irrelevant isn't it?

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
add up all the numbers on the snack, for instance it it says 5 strength, 6 agility (they use the symbols) that will be a total of 11 experience points!

Delver
Oct 27, 2009
You get the stat boost total added to the xp. Also if the pet likes the snack you get a point for that. If it loves the snack (being both the school of snack it likes and the kind of snack it likes ie some like fruit, some veggie, some candy etc.) you get 2 points. Also you get the points from how well you played the game, up to 4 points.

Armiger
Jan 18, 2010
To also make things a little clearer as well. A pet will always like a snack of it's same school. For example, your scarecrow will always like snacks of the Death School.

In the Pet Pavillion Options as well, you can scroll over a particular stat to see the effects it will have on a particular talent your pet might've learnt. Again, example, the higher your pet's strength stat, the more it'll likely to increase talents such as Pain-Giver which increases a player's overall damage.

Post if you've any more questions.

Good Luck!

Explorer
Apr 17, 2012
Don't knock your scarecrow. No first generation pet is worth much. Its after you've hatched it with other pets that have other talents you want or need with your pet will actually become something worth having.

That being said. I'm at a lose as to why your taking your pet any further. The more talents you open the greater the odds are they will transfer into your new hatch and reopen again. This is why we only take first generation pets to adult and then hatch quickly.

We want the better talents to take hold and the more you hatch with that better talent showing the greater the chance is it will become sticky. Meaning open just about every time.

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
Aww...oh dear. That's no good.

Both my Wraith and Scarecrow are at Ancient already.

I should've stopped at Adult? Well darn, too late.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Necromancer Chris on Oct 5, 2017 wrote:
Aww...oh dear. That's no good.

Both my Wraith and Scarecrow are at Ancient already.

I should've stopped at Adult? Well darn, too late.
Don't worry about taking both to Ancient. It will slow your progress towards the "perfect pet" a little, but it's not a total disaster. In fact, I've taken 1st gen pets to Ancient (or even Epic) and then used them in battle to test out cards or other talents they give just to see if it's worth hatching into a better pet, and have not found that to be a problem once I do start breeding it.

It's just that advanced training takes a lot of snacks and energy, and risks bringing out undesired talents - so that's why experienced hatchers advise you to stop at adult.

Alia Misthaven