Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Code Phrases and Wizardspeak

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Ok, after a year into my W101 comeback, I decided to try out the message boards a couple of months ago. I do enjoy seeing and reading other wizard's thoughts and questions about the game. However, I am still puzzling over some of the code names, phrases and wizardspeak seen on the boards.

I've figured out some of it:
FARM - to continually battle a Boss once defeated to try and obtain rare drops
PvP - Dueling Player vs Player
PvE - regular game play
FUZZY - the board's name for my favorite spell "Forest Lord"
SPAM - (i think it means) to hit opponents with a 0 or 1 pip spell every round
MOB - the opponents that wander the "streets" of the various worlds

Some others are still leaving me scratching my head. "FREET" being the main one I don't get.

So, I'm asking the board, what Wizardspeak do you use on the boards that a casual reader wouldn't necessarily understand at first read.

Steven Ghoststalker

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Some terms I've learned in Wizard101 only to find out later that they're general gaming terms.

Tank - someone who takes heavy damage for the team.
Buff - putting up blades and traps (blades and traps are W101 terms, for that matter)
Nerf - reduce the difficulty of a battle, world or dungeon
Glass Cannon - all damage, no defense.

Farming and grinding seem to mean the same thing - to battle over and over in hopes of gathering gear or drops for gold. Farming seems tilted more for gold in general and grinding more towards gear.

You're close on 'Spam.' It means to repeatedly cast the same spell over and over. You can spam hits, shields, Bad Juju, etc.

"Freet?" I've never heard that term before you mentioned it, but it could be short for "Efreet," a rank 8 Fire spell. Efreet leaves a 90% weakness behind, which is not pleasant when you're just about to hit. I can imagine someone saying, "Dude, he just 'Freeted' me!"

Along with Fluffy, there's also Lulu, the Death spell (Call of I'm not even gonna try to spell it so let's call it Lulu!).

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Freshta on Sep 19, 2017 wrote:
Some terms I've learned in Wizard101 only to find out later that they're general gaming terms.

Tank - someone who takes heavy damage for the team.
Buff - putting up blades and traps (blades and traps are W101 terms, for that matter)
Nerf - reduce the difficulty of a battle, world or dungeon
Glass Cannon - all damage, no defense.

Farming and grinding seem to mean the same thing - to battle over and over in hopes of gathering gear or drops for gold. Farming seems tilted more for gold in general and grinding more towards gear.

You're close on 'Spam.' It means to repeatedly cast the same spell over and over. You can spam hits, shields, Bad Juju, etc.

"Freet?" I've never heard that term before you mentioned it, but it could be short for "Efreet," a rank 8 Fire spell. Efreet leaves a 90% weakness behind, which is not pleasant when you're just about to hit. I can imagine someone saying, "Dude, he just 'Freeted' me!"

Along with Fluffy, there's also Lulu, the Death spell (Call of I'm not even gonna try to spell it so let's call it Lulu!).

Alia Misthaven
Thank you for the help.

Efreet? Is that the furshlugging Genie? Darn it all if I don't hate that spell.

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
Don't sweat learning it too much immediately, trust me, as you play the game more and meet more people, you're gonna pick up on it. "Wizardspeak" as you call it, is usually just shortenings of terms in game when it comes to things like spells, for example, the Death spell Scarecrow is generally shortened to "crow", or common terms you see all over, even in other MMO's, things like PvP, Mob, etc.

If you're wondering what "freet" means, it most likely refers to the spell Efreet, which is, as Freshta said, a rank 8 Fire Spell that does a bunch of damage and leaves a -90% Weakness (not a very pleasant spell to be hit by)

Oh, and "spamming" doesn't necessarily apply to just rank 0 and 1 spells, if you're at max pips, you can easily spam rank 4 and 5 spells and such.

Again, don't sweat it too much, you'll pick up on it.