Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

BALANCE PRISM!?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 05, 2014
Sup guys,

So I had this really clever idea about a year ago but I never knew where to share it because I thought it'd be a pretty cool thing to add to the game. The thing I came up with was a "Balance Prism".

Basically, how I thought it'd work is that you place a Balance Prism on your opponent, and when attacking with a balance spell, it will randomly convert to a different school (Fire, Ice, Myth, Storm, Death, Life, Shadow, Sun, Moon, Star". Regardless of whatever school was chosen, the attack would boost on the enemy. I'm not really how good of an idea this is, because I have only really received some criticism from two of my friends, however I think it'd be pretty cool to see what the community has to say about this.

I hope this could maybe someday make it into the game!

-Mitchell Troll | 120

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Marshivader on Sep 5, 2017 wrote:
Sup guys,

So I had this really clever idea about a year ago but I never knew where to share it because I thought it'd be a pretty cool thing to add to the game. The thing I came up with was a "Balance Prism".

Basically, how I thought it'd work is that you place a Balance Prism on your opponent, and when attacking with a balance spell, it will randomly convert to a different school (Fire, Ice, Myth, Storm, Death, Life, Shadow, Sun, Moon, Star". Regardless of whatever school was chosen, the attack would boost on the enemy. I'm not really how good of an idea this is, because I have only really received some criticism from two of my friends, however I think it'd be pretty cool to see what the community has to say about this.

-Mitchell Troll | 120
I like the idea except a few changes. It would change to a random school not including shadow, sun, moon, or star because those are not the main schools. It wouldn't automatically boost but the wizard could take there chances. If you're fighting an ice and you need a boost on them, they could pop a balance prism and there is a chance it'll get the fire or some other school that boosts to ice. It'd be very handy against balance foes. Another idea, receive the spell at a lower level before you receive chimera, converts spell to ,, or. After the chimera spell or a little before you receive a another prism, converts spell to ,, or . I'm leaving out shadow, sun, moon, and star because those are really not involved in balance but balance is based off of the triples of the spirit schools and elemental schools.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
frostednutella on Sep 6, 2017 wrote:
I like the idea except a few changes. It would change to a random school not including shadow, sun, moon, or star because those are not the main schools. It wouldn't automatically boost but the wizard could take there chances. If you're fighting an ice and you need a boost on them, they could pop a balance prism and there is a chance it'll get the fire or some other school that boosts to ice. It'd be very handy against balance foes. Another idea, receive the spell at a lower level before you receive chimera, converts spell to ,, or. After the chimera spell or a little before you receive a another prism, converts spell to ,, or . I'm leaving out shadow, sun, moon, and star because those are really not involved in balance but balance is based off of the triples of the spirit schools and elemental schools.
I think what your talking about is a non tc mutate spell. And I agree somewhere in the game, it would be nice for balance to have these. It would also be nice to get something like an aoe mass hex spell, which when cast would place a hex on all enemies currently in the duel circle.

Explorer
Jul 21, 2013
Marshivader on Sep 5, 2017 wrote:
Sup guys,

-Mitchell Troll | 120
That would be unfair to the other school wizards and boosting the attack just wouldn't make sense because non of the other wizards prisms get boosted. So it simply wouldn't be fair.

Delver
Jun 14, 2010
Dragons rock on Sep 7, 2017 wrote:
That would be unfair to the other school wizards and boosting the attack just wouldn't make sense because non of the other wizards prisms get boosted. So it simply wouldn't be fair.
There are only three traps that pure balance damage triggers, curse, hex, and feint. Curse and Feint aren't even balance school spells, they're death spells. And while a random damage balance prism would be nice, it would be very difficult to program without reinventing the combat system. Non tc mutates for chimera and hydra would be nice but those spells does damage that a balance monster don't resist against, so they're not really necessary.

I still feel an aoe mass hex would be a suitable stand in, you could even make it cost two pips like all the other mass prism spells. It wouldn't break the system and gives the balance school a rather unique and useful spell that would work well with spells like Sandstorm and Ra (or any aoe spell). You could also give the balance school a spell like fire school's Fuel spell, though instead of three fire traps it places three hexes at once. So when you cast a spell like hydra or chimera each hit would trigger a hex, and again it could also be made to cost two pips like Fuel is.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
The Lore Keeper on Sep 7, 2017 wrote:
I think what your talking about is a non tc mutate spell. And I agree somewhere in the game, it would be nice for balance to have these. It would also be nice to get something like an aoe mass hex spell, which when cast would place a hex on all enemies currently in the duel circle.
Yeah sort of like a mutations but it would be in a prism for. So it'd just be a trap you would place on on foe (unless at some point there would be a mass one). It's a little different because it doesn't actually change the spell school. If that were the place then other prisms would come into play at points and using a mutate that would randomly changes the school before it's cast really takes away some of the edge. I also agree with the mass hex spell, maybe it could come with some new balance shadow spell.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Dragons rock on Sep 7, 2017 wrote:
I posted earlier an idea that would change it to be not unfair. It'd work a lot like other prisms only boosting to the school it should be when changed.

Survivor
May 05, 2014
Alright, here's the thing.

I read some of your responses, and I have to say, I like the changes you included. One thing that I kind of regret saying is to include ,,, and , because it doesn't really make sense and 'I just wanted to make my idea sound cooler'. Anyways, when I say the damage after the convert boosts on the enemy, I meant that the damage would only boost on enemies, not players or any other schools. Also, the post about the Balance Prism being unfair I can understand, because it would seem unbalanced as a game mechanic, because you'd be boosting on everyone you use it on. However, now that I have cleared things up on what the attack boosts on and what doesn't, hopefully you will now better understand where I am coming from with that.

Thanks for reading,

-Mitchell Troll | 120

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Marshivader on Sep 10, 2017 wrote:
Alright, here's the thing.

I read some of your responses, and I have to say, I like the changes you included. One thing that I kind of regret saying is to include ,,, and , because it doesn't really make sense and 'I just wanted to make my idea sound cooler'. Anyways, when I say the damage after the convert boosts on the enemy, I meant that the damage would only boost on enemies, not players or any other schools. Also, the post about the Balance Prism being unfair I can understand, because it would seem unbalanced as a game mechanic, because you'd be boosting on everyone you use it on. However, now that I have cleared things up on what the attack boosts on and what doesn't, hopefully you will now better understand where I am coming from with that.

Thanks for reading,

-Mitchell Troll | 120
I disagree with it always boosting on balance school. That isn't how the other prisms work, they convert it to another school. There are schools that boost on balance. It would be way too op if it always boosted on balance. Also, the point of a prism is to convert the school with the purpost to use it on mobs of the same school.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Our magic is nothing but the color spectrum, balance costs all magic as white light costs all colors... So a balance prism making a gambling school hit, wouldn't be far-fetched

Survivor
Jun 17, 2015
Balance does get the short end of the stick, being the only elemental/non balance spell is available at level 22, then 42, then 68, then 110. Balance seems to be blade sla-, and it would be cool to actually see them function like any other school.

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
I'm thinking, were this to be implemented, it would be two separate Prisms.

Spirit Prism, and Elemental (or "Spectral") Prism. Using a Hydra or a Spectral Blast with an Elemental (or "Spectral") Prism would convert the damage to Myth, Life and Death, while using a Chimera with a Spirit Prism would convert the damage to Fire, Ice and Storm.

Speaking of, can Balance please get Spirit Blast as a trainable spell?

Defender
Jan 24, 2009
I am ok with balance prisms as long as they be fair and make balance set shields like they have every other school.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Necromancer Chris on Sep 12, 2017 wrote:
I'm thinking, were this to be implemented, it would be two separate Prisms.

Spirit Prism, and Elemental (or "Spectral") Prism. Using a Hydra or a Spectral Blast with an Elemental (or "Spectral") Prism would convert the damage to Myth, Life and Death, while using a Chimera with a Spirit Prism would convert the damage to Fire, Ice and Storm.

Speaking of, can Balance please get Spirit Blast as a trainable spell?
If there were to be a balance prism it would work on damage spells only, otherwise it is still just any other prism, just combined. It'd something like this, similar to spectral blast. Elemental prism would be change any damage spell to , , or . Spirit prism would be change any damage spell to , or .

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
frostednutella on Sep 12, 2017 wrote:
If there were to be a balance prism it would work on damage spells only, otherwise it is still just any other prism, just combined. It'd something like this, similar to spectral blast. Elemental prism would be change any damage spell to , , or . Spirit prism would be change any damage spell to , or .
Making it so that the Prism could be utilized by other schools isn't such a bad idea. In fact it's true to form. Balance spells are basically always universal.

Also, Prisms always convert damage to the opposite school. Death Prism converts Death damage to Life damage. Myth Prism converts Myth damage to Storm damage. In this scenario, Elemental (or "Spectral") and Spirit schools are opposite. Elemental (or "Spectral") obviously refers to Fire, Ice and Storm, while Spirit of course refers to Myth, Life and Death. So the Elemental (or "Spectral") Prism would be the one to convert Elemental damage to Spirit damage.

They could just put down three Prisms, like how they do Blades and Traps and Dispels etc. but that wouldn't work because putting down a Fire and Ice Prism or a Life and Death Prism would just convert the damage back and forth pointlessly. If they were like Myth and Storm, it'd be fine.

I suppose Death could be converted to Fire, and Life could be converted to Ice. Ice is by nature stagnant and inhospitable and is often associated with cruelty and apathy, and the deceased. Fire is associated with home and hearth, passion and kindness, motion and energy.

In addition, Life sits between Fire and Storm, while Death sits between Ice and Storm. So it's not unreasonable to say that Death is more akin to Ice, and Life is more akin to Fire. They're certainly not exact opposites, sure.

So casting a Spirit Prism would place a Myth to Storm Prism (so just a regular Myth Prism), a Life to Ice Prism, and a Death to Fire Prism. Casting an Elemental (or "Spectral") Prism would place a Fire to Death Prism, an Ice to Life Prism, and a Storm to Myth Prism (so just a regular Storm Prism).

Explorer
Jul 21, 2013
frostednutella on Sep 12, 2017 wrote:
I agree but I still don't like the idea.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Necromancer Chris on Sep 13, 2017 wrote:
Making it so that the Prism could be utilized by other schools isn't such a bad idea. In fact it's true to form. Balance spells are basically always universal.

Also, Prisms always convert damage to the opposite school. Death Prism converts Death damage to Life damage. Myth Prism converts Myth damage to Storm damage. In this scenario, Elemental (or "Spectral") and Spirit schools are opposite. Elemental (or "Spectral") obviously refers to Fire, Ice and Storm, while Spirit of course refers to Myth, Life and Death. So the Elemental (or "Spectral") Prism would be the one to convert Elemental damage to Spirit damage.

They could just put down three Prisms, like how they do Blades and Traps and Dispels etc. but that wouldn't work because putting down a Fire and Ice Prism or a Life and Death Prism would just convert the damage back and forth pointlessly. If they were like Myth and Storm, it'd be fine.

I suppose Death could be converted to Fire, and Life could be converted to Ice. Ice is by nature stagnant and inhospitable and is often associated with cruelty and apathy, and the deceased. Fire is associated with home and hearth, passion and kindness, motion and energy.

In addition, Life sits between Fire and Storm, while Death sits between Ice and Storm. So it's not unreasonable to say that Death is more akin to Ice, and Life is more akin to Fire. They're certainly not exact opposites, sure.

So casting a Spirit Prism would place a Myth to Storm Prism (so just a regular Myth Prism), a Life to Ice Prism, and a Death to Fire Prism. Casting an Elemental (or "Spectral") Prism would place a Fire to Death Prism, an Ice to Life Prism, and a Storm to Myth Prism (so just a regular Storm Prism).
Actually.... It wouldn't grab both ice/fire life/death.... Only if you placed a second one...

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
camahawk on Sep 14, 2017 wrote:
Actually.... It wouldn't grab both ice/fire life/death.... Only if you placed a second one...
Huh?

So if you have a Fire Prism and an Ice Prism on an enemy and you cast Phoenix, the damage will convert to Ice damage and not activate the Ice Prism converting it right back to Fire damage?

Is that not how it works? I'm honestly asking, since I just sorta assumed it would work that way.

Even if that's true, what happens if you use a Hydra when there's a Fire Prism, an Ice Prism and a Storm Prism- you'd still get mostly the same damage, except the Storm attack which would become Myth. Same for a Chimera and a Myth Prism, Life Prism and a Death Prism. The only damage that would really change is Myth to Storm.

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Dragons rock on Sep 13, 2017 wrote:
I agree but I still don't like the idea.
You agree but don't like the idea? In what way does that make sense?

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Necromancer Chris on Sep 13, 2017 wrote:

My idea is not to make it a prism per school but to make two prisms with a random chance for one of the schools, similar to how the balance 108 spell is like. With my idea, it only works for balance like said damage converts to the ones I list at random. My idea is not for any other school but balance however adding a triple prism in wouldn't such a bad thing. Not sure if you got what I said about how the prisms work. Don't know what you mean in you're second to last paragraph.

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
frostednutella on Sep 14, 2017 wrote:
My idea is not to make it a prism per school but to make two prisms with a random chance for one of the schools, similar to how the balance 108 spell is like. With my idea, it only works for balance like said damage converts to the ones I list at random. My idea is not for any other school but balance however adding a triple prism in wouldn't such a bad thing. Not sure if you got what I said about how the prisms work. Don't know what you mean in you're second to last paragraph.
Oh, that? That's just canon.

"Death Magic sits between Ice and Storm, for the cold energy of undeath draws on those two forces."

"Life Magic rests between Fire and Storms, for the spark of Life comes from those two forces."

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
Necromancer Chris on Sep 14, 2017 wrote:
Huh?

So if you have a Fire Prism and an Ice Prism on an enemy and you cast Phoenix, the damage will convert to Ice damage and not activate the Ice Prism converting it right back to Fire damage?

Is that not how it works? I'm honestly asking, since I just sorta assumed it would work that way.

Even if that's true, what happens if you use a Hydra when there's a Fire Prism, an Ice Prism and a Storm Prism- you'd still get mostly the same damage, except the Storm attack which would become Myth. Same for a Chimera and a Myth Prism, Life Prism and a Death Prism. The only damage that would really change is Myth to Storm.
Casting a fire and a ice prism at 2 different times yes... Would trigger both.... But casting them at the same time.... Like a tri trap, blade, shield.... It shouldnt

Squire
Oct 29, 2011
Necromancer Chris on Sep 15, 2017 wrote:
Oh, that? That's just canon.

"Death Magic sits between Ice and Storm, for the cold energy of undeath draws on those two forces."

"Life Magic rests between Fire and Storms, for the spark of Life comes from those two forces."
Still don't understand but doesn't really matter.

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
camahawk on Sep 15, 2017 wrote:
Casting a fire and a ice prism at 2 different times yes... Would trigger both.... But casting them at the same time.... Like a tri trap, blade, shield.... It shouldnt
I think you might be confused or otherwise misinformed. All three blades, traps and shields function normally.

If you have a Spirit Blade and a Spirit Trap set up, you can use Chimera and all three will be activated as appropriate, because all three types of damage are being done. Same for Elemental Blades and Elemental Traps when used with Spectral Blast or Hydra.

Different blades can even be stacked, like an Elemental Blade and Trap with a Fire Blade and Trap- both Fire Blades and Traps will be used when you do Fire Damage.

That's why even those outside the Balance school will invest training points into the tri-blades and traps. (or just the blades, lots of people just use the blades)

So whether the Ice Prism and Fire Prism were set up at the same time or at different times, they'll function the same way, however that normally is.

Seriously, can someone reading this tell me? What happens if an enemy has two opposite Prisms on them? Say if a Life Wizard uses a Life Prism and then a Death Wizard uses a Death Prism, how will that work out when they're activated?

Will a Death Spell convert to Life, triggering the Life Prism which then converts it back to Death? I know the order the Prisms were placed also matters...

Ack, now I feel confused.

Defender
Jul 21, 2017
frostednutella on Sep 15, 2017 wrote:
Still don't understand but doesn't really matter.
On the Wizard101 homepage there's a section where you can see a description of each school of magic.