Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

DDOS attacks still going on?!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 01, 2017
This whole DDOS thing is getting annoying, why do people have ruin things for other people? I hope KI deals with this soon I can't even play a game that I'm paying for. my rig and internet are good i can play everything else but this and it's annoying!

Survivor
May 25, 2009
If the staff are reading these messages, Is there anything we as users can do to assist in the matter, like any information we can provide ?

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
DracoWhale on Sep 4, 2017 wrote:
If the staff are reading these messages, Is there anything we as users can do to assist in the matter, like any information we can provide ?
I'm not staff, but my suggestion is:

Be patient.

When we get the error messages, don't keep trying to log in because when we do, we're just adding to the problem. Go off and do something else for a while, then come back and try again later. Realize that this could go on for weeks.

Be supportive.

Complaining and yelling at KingsIsle is not going to help them and it's not going to help us, either. They don't want their game down, they don't want to make their customers unhappy. We are missing out on fun and a service that we paid for, true. But they are loosing thousands of micro-sales (from us, buying crowns items) every hour they are down. That's not to mention overtime pay as they struggle to keep their servers running on a holiday weekend.

Be proactive.

If any of us have the same User ID and password at any other site as we have at Wizard101 or Pirate101, we should change those immediately. Probably this is "just a DDOS attack," but there is a small chance that the jerks behind it also attempted to breach KingsIsle servers and steal actual customer data. Once the attacks die down, then it will be a good idea to change our Wizard & Pirate passwords as well.

Be grateful.
The city of Houston was wrecked by a hurricane just days ago. People have lost their lives, their homes, everything they have. Meanwhile, we're fussing over not being able to play a game. If this is the worst problem of our lives right now, we're fortunate indeed.

Alia Misthaven

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
Freshta on Sep 5, 2017 wrote:

Be patient.

When we get the error messages, don't keep trying to log in because when we do, we're just adding to the problem. Go off and do something else for a while, then come back and try again later. Realize that this could go on for weeks.

Be supportive.

Complaining and yelling at KingsIsle is not going to help them and it's not going to help us, either. They don't want their game down, they don't want to make their customers unhappy. We are missing out on fun and a service that we paid for, true. But they are loosing thousands of micro-sales (from us, buying crowns items) every hour they are down. That's not to mention overtime pay as they struggle to keep their servers running on a holiday weekend.

Be proactive.

If any of us have the same User ID and password at any other site as we have at Wizard101 or Pirate101, we should change those immediately. Probably this is "just a DDOS attack," but there is a small chance that the jerks behind it also attempted to breach KingsIsle servers and steal actual customer data. Once the attacks die down, then it will be a good idea to change our Wizard & Pirate passwords as well.

Be grateful.
The city of Houston was wrecked by a hurricane just days ago. People have lost their lives, their homes, everything they have. Meanwhile, we're fussing over not being able to play a game. If this is the worst problem of our lives right now, we're fortunate indeed.

Alia Misthaven
Well said. Couldn't have put it any better.

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
I thinnk we all need maybe a a free 1 month or like a trial for membership or something to make up for it or we all get a certain amount of crowns to get back what we missed after paying for the game. But I can also say that the hurricane disaster was very bad, but there was also a flooding in another country shortly after and nobody has ever mentioned that.

Survivor
May 26, 2011
Um, maybe I'm just stupid...but what exactly is a "DDOS Attack"?

~ Madeline Spiritgarden
Master of Balance

Defender
Apr 18, 2014
Pouffy23 on Sep 6, 2017 wrote:
I thinnk we all need maybe a a free 1 month or like a trial for membership or something to make up for it or we all get a certain amount of crowns to get back what we missed after paying for the game. But I can also say that the hurricane disaster was very bad, but there was also a flooding in another country shortly after and nobody has ever mentioned that.
There is no point in this. If you lost days off of your membership, you shouldn't have your hand out at KI asking for your money back. Have pity for the company that has allowed you years of enjoyment, don't expect them to pay you back during their times of need from the players. Be supportive, just like freshta said. That's all we can do at this point.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014

Be patient.

Be supportive.

Be proactive.

Be grateful.

Alia Misthaven
Well said. I couldn't say it better.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
reddreamer451 on Sep 11, 2017 wrote:
Um, maybe I'm just stupid...but what exactly is a "DDOS Attack"?

~ Madeline Spiritgarden
Master of Balance
It stands for a Distributed Denial of Service.

Basically, Hackers with too much time on their hands and the inability to let others enjoy themselves overwhelm the targeted server with incoming traffic (usually automated netbots). This swell in traffic denies legitimate users from connecting with the server.

Think of it as the internet equivalent of a planned organized rush hour traffic that is designed for the sole purpose of keeping you from reaching your destination.

Steven Ghoststalker

Defender
Jul 09, 2012
Dakota Sky on Sep 11, 2017 wrote:
There is no point in this. If you lost days off of your membership, you shouldn't have your hand out at KI asking for your money back. Have pity for the company that has allowed you years of enjoyment, don't expect them to pay you back during their times of need from the players. Be supportive, just like freshta said. That's all we can do at this point.
I have fun on this game BECAUSE I pay for it. As you can see, people have lost days apon days of playing time because of something not in our reach nor our problem. If you would like to read once more, I never said that I wanted my money back, so try not to put words in my sentences. I am not saying anything crazy, but maybe us all getting even 1000 crowns or something for being patient and dealing with this would not be a bad idea. So yes, there is a point in this.

Defender
Aug 30, 2014
Pouffy23 on Sep 12, 2017 wrote:
I have fun on this game BECAUSE I pay for it. As you can see, people have lost days apon days of playing time because of something not in our reach nor our problem. If you would like to read once more, I never said that I wanted my money back, so try not to put words in my sentences. I am not saying anything crazy, but maybe us all getting even 1000 crowns or something for being patient and dealing with this would not be a bad idea. So yes, there is a point in this.
Dworgyn posted on September 5th: "Again, we have always taken care of our community when trouble arrives, and we will be sure to do so again once the issue has been fully resolved." Original thread if anyone's interested. www.wizard101.com/forum/headmasters-announcements/wizard101-availability-8ad6a4255e0e26c1015e3e0c016d4fcd?page=1

So be patient and wait. KI will compensate for lost time once they are able to fully fix the problem. Let's let them focus on fixing the problem and then worry about getting something back later.

Moira Stormheart

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Moira has it exactly right.

And in case anyone missed it, Dworgyn made this announcement yesterday:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/headmasters-announcements/thank-you-to-our-wonderful-community-8ad6a4245e7a51ec015e7d5c5f857bc8?page=1

We’re ending our 9th birthday with a special “Thank you!” for sticking with us through thick and thin.

You never cease to amaze us, and we are ever grateful to our loyal fans.

Redeem the code ‘BirthdayBash2017’ for a gift of 1250 Crowns, 3 energy elixirs and a Farley’s Gardening Pack in Wizard101, and 3 energy potions and a Snack Pack in Pirate101.

This giveaway ends Sunday, October 1st, 2017 at 11:59pm US Central Time. In order to be eligible for this giveaway, your account must have been created prior to September 12th, 2017. No new accounts created after this time will qualify. Keep in mind, there is only one redemption per account and the Crowns are non-transferable.

See all our Birthday details here: https://www.wizard101.com/game/happy-9th-birthday

Survivor
May 04, 2009
Game is moving very slow in transitioning scenes.

Example: when porting to a house/castle. It takes 10 to 30 seconds to port.
When going from Commons to Shopping Area, 10 to 30 seconds to arrive.

This happens for any and all scenes transitions.

The game speed inside scenes is unaffected.

Defender
Nov 21, 2013
Happening to me as well all day. Hope it's just server maintenance or something rather than a sign this game is about to go down for another week.

Explorer
Mar 31, 2013
This is happening to me as well. In fact, sometimes when I try to port (home/anywhere), it will not allow me to port to the area and I get the "Sorry, young wizard... not able to access that area."

Anyone else?

Explorer
May 28, 2012
@TroyTo You I have noticed this has increased since the last update and can be up to 45-60 seconds between each location. This makes if difficult when having to refill potion bottles or hurry to purchase tcs for a specific battle. Sometimes you can’t even use a teleporter between castles.
I have also noticed when gathering reagents, as they icon disappears from the left side of the screen the action causes a halting / redirect of the wizard playing—frustrating when pulled into a battle when low on health.

Astrologist
Aug 23, 2016
I noticed that as well.

Not during my morning play time but last night (9/25) from about 7:30pm - 9:30pm CDT. I was finishing off Wintertusk

Steven Ghoststalker

Survivor
Dec 27, 2012
This has been happening to me as well and then it boots me off with the inability to log back on. I emailed KI about it so hopefully a response is coming soon.

Karic AshBlood

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
Same thing happening to me as well. I get the "connecting to server" message quite often, or am told that area is busy. Switching between worlds takes 4-5x as long as usual, too. Sent KI a message on Twitter, they asked me if it was still happening, I responded yes, and have yet to hear back.

Explorer
Jun 19, 2010
This is the 3rd day I have had similar problems - slow to log on, very slow transitions and way too often lost connection, or the dreaded broken chain going from yellow to orange to red. Hope the techs at KI can figure out what is causing it and can fix it easily. I do so miss my "game time"

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
My internet is working perfectly, yet I still lose connection ingame. Every 20 minutes or so I lose connection and it's getting really annoying.

Apart from that, just like many others I've been getting slow loading screens. Something really weird also happened, ported to my dorm room to get to the Bazaar faster, once I got to the Bazaar I got ported back to my dorm room.

?????

Survivor
Aug 30, 2017

Be patient.

Be supportive.

Be proactive.

Be grateful.

Alia Misthaven
This has been going on not just weeks, but we are now into the end of the second month with these attacks. Just when the problem seems to be taken care of, it all starts all over again. This comment is written Sept. 28, 2017. Check back on when this began and all the frustrations that are going on with this problem. I've been steadily paying my subscriptions, as have many people, and when we invest in a form of entertainment we expect to receive something in return. It's kind of you to consider that there are worse problems effecting our world, but when I hand over a payment for something, please hand over what I pay for. I would appreciate being brought up to date with exactly what is going on to correct all of this -- especially since it is taking so long. A special report on this matter sent out weekly would be enlightening. BTW, no one loves and appreciates KingsIsle, Wizard101, and Pirate101 more than I. I've been a big fan for a very long time. We just need to be kept better informed as to what is going on to give us back our game.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2010
Same thing is happening here I thought I was the only one being affected by this till I jumped on the forums. It's very difficult to play the game like this.

Survivor
Aug 29, 2016
I am having trouble with loading the game. it downloads then I get a message saying , That place is not ready for you right now, try again later.

Whats going on .PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Defender
Nov 08, 2009
I am having problems, again.. Moving from one area to another. This caused me to lose 2 pvp rank matches, On Tuesday, because it did not get me to the arena in time to start the match. Now it is happening again, I know I am not alone in this problem. Please look into it..!