Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dispels should no longer be like mana burn

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 13, 2010
I like doing pvp. I don't like going second only because dispels remove your pips when you cast a spell. If I my opponent casts a dispel right before I cast a spell (let's say sand wurm) then the dispel will make sand wurm fizzle. Even though it fizzles I still lose all the pips that would have been used to cast sand wurm (two power pips AND a shadow pip). If you fizzle normally or a spell like black mantle causes you to fizzle you don't lose the pips that would have cast the spell. The same should go for dispels. They should act like a stun (you don't get to cast a spell that turn), not a stun and a mana burn (you don't get to cast a spell and lose pips so you won't be able to cast one next round either). This issue also makes going second unfair because when you go first, you get to choose the spell that activates the dispel (like a zero pip one), so players who go first don't face this issue. Kingsisle, when you fix the cloaked dispel shield issue, please also make dispels stop sapping your pips.

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
Idk, having Dispel Shields and the Dispels not taking up pips seems like a bit too much of a nerf. It would be reduced to the equivalent of a stun, and Stun is a 0-pip spell that isn't separated into 7 different spells for each of the primary schools of magic.

Survivor
May 13, 2010
Torpzun26 on Aug 26, 2017 wrote:
Idk, having Dispel Shields and the Dispels not taking up pips seems like a bit too much of a nerf. It would be reduced to the equivalent of a stun, and Stun is a 0-pip spell that isn't separated into 7 different spells for each of the primary schools of magic.
I get your point, but dispels would still be a viable alternative to stuns. Stuns that are zero pips have 20% less accuracy than dispels. Even if the player's accuracy makes it reach 100%, accuracy reduction spells could make the stuns "fizzleable" again. Also dispels can't be blocked whereas stuns can be due to stun resist and the stun block spell.

Explorer
Apr 17, 2012
Dispell does exactly what it should. If you think your opponent is going to cast Dispell then don't cast your spell its that simple. The idea is to learn to use strategy. Your facing a real person. Learn to adjust and think ahead before making a move. And most all learn from your mistakes not complain about them and blame others.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
leg0master on Sep 17, 2017 wrote:
I get your point, but dispels would still be a viable alternative to stuns. Stuns that are zero pips have 20% less accuracy than dispels. Even if the player's accuracy makes it reach 100%, accuracy reduction spells could make the stuns "fizzleable" again. Also dispels can't be blocked whereas stuns can be due to stun resist and the stun block spell.
There are dispel blocks now, once they fix the cloak issue you should be good to go! Removing the effect of losing pips would make it just a stun and we already have that!

Explorer
May 20, 2012
leg0master on Aug 23, 2017 wrote:
I like doing pvp. I don't like going second only because dispels remove your pips when you cast a spell. If I my opponent casts a dispel right before I cast a spell (let's say sand wurm) then the dispel will make sand wurm fizzle. Even though it fizzles I still lose all the pips that would have been used to cast sand wurm (two power pips AND a shadow pip). If you fizzle normally or a spell like black mantle causes you to fizzle you don't lose the pips that would have cast the spell. The same should go for dispels. They should act like a stun (you don't get to cast a spell that turn), not a stun and a mana burn (you don't get to cast a spell and lose pips so you won't be able to cast one next round either). This issue also makes going second unfair because when you go first, you get to choose the spell that activates the dispel (like a zero pip one), so players who go first don't face this issue. Kingsisle, when you fix the cloaked dispel shield issue, please also make dispels stop sapping your pips.
That would have been nice before they added dispel blocks.