Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The Neglected Underdog School

AuthorMessage
Delver
Dec 08, 2016
I shouldn't have to say too much on how Death is considered the weakest school in PvP for years now (especially at max), but KingIsle...please for once, is there any chance you could let us Death wizards have an easier time in the arena? This topic has been addressed so many times, but nothing has still been done. I actually have some friends that have quit purely because of this reason, but with PvP being broken overall. There's barely a single max Death you could see doing PvP nowadays, and if you do, they're either getting wrecked the majority of the time or Juju spamming since that's pretty much the only spell we have worth spamming that could raise our chances of winning/ranking up (but even Juju has been nerfed after the Reshuffle update change).

Many people tell me that Death is actually "good" or "overpowered", but I'm pretty sure most of them don't even have a Death wizard to even know the struggle.

There are positives about this school (mainly in questing/PvE), but I would say that the negatives stands out more. Our spells are weak and requires too many pips, we can't fully enchant our spells due to our Drains, the lack of secondary effects we have, our self-hitting spells inflict a lot of damage onto ourselves (especially with Infallible) and ruins our blades, some schools can even use our spells better than we can and pretty much nearly everything good we have has been nerfed (e.g. Khrulhu).

I have a few ideas on how this school can be improved:
- Call of Khrulhu should deal 920 dmg to all.
- I don't know about others, but for me Deer Knight's damage should be slightly increased. It's kind of weak for me. I would change it to 450 +320 dmg over 3 rounds to all. No idea how this will affect low level PvP though, but at max, it doesn't quite do it.
- This school is in serious need of a spammable spell. I can think of one for every other school, but Vampire or Poison for Death? Yikes. Lord of Night should be upgraded into a 4-pip non-draining spell with 390-450 dmg placing a Lifebane/-25 Inc. Heal and a Death Trap on the opponent (both of these are Death's specialty, which are traps and weakening the opponent, so I believe it's appropriate to have these as the after-effects). No one really uses Lord of Night, so if it was to be upgraded dramatically, I think many Death wizards would come farming for Lore or start crafting it right away.
- Our self-hitting utility spells should not be taking our blades away, especially since blades are a Death hitter's best friend and only chance of packing some serious punch.
- Scarecrow should be a 5/6-pip spell with 500 dmg to all.
- An official damage-boosting global spell would be greatly appreciated. Death needs to take the upper hand in a bubble war for once, instead of always changing into Doom. Age of Reckoning is amazing, but 4 pips is a lot to be constantly used. Our spells requires many pips, so we're always having to be careful to save pips.

Please fix Death soon, KI. I beg of you.

Defender
Jan 24, 2009
deathsummoner4 on Aug 6, 2017 wrote:
I shouldn't have to say too much on how Death is considered the weakest school in PvP for years now (especially at max), but KingIsle...please for once, is there any chance you could let us Death wizards have an easier time in the arena? This topic has been addressed so many times, but nothing has still been done. I actually have some friends that have quit purely because of this reason, but with PvP being broken overall. There's barely a single max Death you could see doing PvP nowadays, and if you do, they're either getting wrecked the majority of the time or Juju spamming since that's pretty much the only spell we have worth spamming that could raise our chances of winning/ranking up (but even Juju has been nerfed after the Reshuffle update change).

Many people tell me that Death is actually "good" or "overpowered", but I'm pretty sure most of them don't even have a Death wizard to even know the struggle.

There are positives about this school (mainly in questing/PvE), but I would say that the negatives stands out more. Our spells are weak and requires too many pips, we can't fully enchant our spells due to our Drains, the lack of secondary effects we have, our self-hitting spells inflict a lot of damage onto ourselves (especially with Infallible) and ruins our blades, some schools can even use our spells better than we can and pretty much nearly everything good we have has been nerfed (e.g. Khrulhu).

I have a few ideas on how this school can be improved:
- Call of Khrulhu should deal 920 dmg to all.
- I don't know about others, but for me Deer Knight's damage should be slightly increased. It's kind of weak for me. I would change it to 450 +320 dmg over 3 rounds to all. No idea how this will affect low level PvP though, but at max, it doesn't quite do it.
- This school is in serious need of a spammable spell. I can think of one for every other school, but Vampire or Poison for Death? Yikes. Lord of Night should be upgraded into a 4-pip non-draining spell with 390-450 dmg placing a Lifebane/-25 Inc. Heal and a Death Trap on the opponent (both of these are Death's specialty, which are traps and weakening the opponent, so I believe it's appropriate to have these as the after-effects). No one really uses Lord of Night, so if it was to be upgraded dramatically, I think many Death wizards would come farming for Lore or start crafting it right away.
- Our self-hitting utility spells should not be taking our blades away, especially since blades are a Death hitter's best friend and only chance of packing some serious punch.
- Scarecrow should be a 5/6-pip spell with 500 dmg to all.
- An official damage-boosting global spell would be greatly appreciated. Death needs to take the upper hand in a bubble war for once, instead of always changing into Doom. Age of Reckoning is amazing, but 4 pips is a lot to be constantly used. Our spells requires many pips, so we're always having to be careful to save pips.

Please fix Death soon, KI. I beg of you.
i totally agree with you. I have been saying this for years and people insulted me on the game for speaking up by saying its excuses or i'm bad at pvp. Kingsisle has done nothing to give death even a decent chance
in pvp. Which were being spammed or potentially one shot while having to be stuck blading to even do a fraction of the damage done to us? Its so bad even the school who's suppose to be all about defensive (Ice) has a better damage output than us + better utility + spell effects? This is wrong and unfair to all the death players.

Defender
May 11, 2013
wakaflame201 on Aug 8, 2017 wrote:
i totally agree with you. I have been saying this for years and people insulted me on the game for speaking up by saying its excuses or i'm bad at pvp. Kingsisle has done nothing to give death even a decent chance
in pvp. Which were being spammed or potentially one shot while having to be stuck blading to even do a fraction of the damage done to us? Its so bad even the school who's suppose to be all about defensive (Ice) has a better damage output than us + better utility + spell effects? This is wrong and unfair to all the death players.
Since its on topic of pvp and damage I say Nerf balance they are way over powered in pvp going second to one just gives them an advantage (extra pip from second) is a curse to the player who goes second but a boon to the balance for their mana burn, spam able loremaster, Super nova from first is just a slap in the face to players on top of that they get critical HoT's field changing shadow spells and damage for all other schools. For a class called Balance they are the most unbalanced class I have ever seen in any game. Why should one class have the power of all and be the top meta and before someone uses the excuse "they draw their power from other schools" does not mean they should be able to destroy your pips, your aura, your accuracy and your damage, while being allowed to have all of that for their self.

Defender
Jan 24, 2009
RedDragon877 on Aug 8, 2017 wrote:
Since its on topic of pvp and damage I say Nerf balance they are way over powered in pvp going second to one just gives them an advantage (extra pip from second) is a curse to the player who goes second but a boon to the balance for their mana burn, spam able loremaster, Super nova from first is just a slap in the face to players on top of that they get critical HoT's field changing shadow spells and damage for all other schools. For a class called Balance they are the most unbalanced class I have ever seen in any game. Why should one class have the power of all and be the top meta and before someone uses the excuse "they draw their power from other schools" does not mean they should be able to destroy your pips, your aura, your accuracy and your damage, while being allowed to have all of that for their self.
well said and i couldn't agree more. Balance is a completely broken and brainless school. In some case i would call it "pvp training wheels" because they are giving so much support and barely have to worry about much. Just the other day i faced numerous balances and they all did the same thing. Lore, more lore shrike more lore gaze/ shadow spell and mana burn. Why should balance get a bubble when they dont even have any official set shield? Which also they have spirit/element shields only they can train but all they have to worry about is a tower shield. Every balance has on accurate over 100 damage with 40 pierce. If a balance shrike how are we stopping them from spamming us out? Its not like we can go hit for hit with them because lore weakens you with a chance of fizzle and does about 2k with shrike + bubble up. And i dont wanna get started on fire and ice.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
RedDragon877 on Aug 8, 2017 wrote:
Have you actually ever played on a balance?

Defender
May 11, 2013
Jasmine3429 on Aug 10, 2017 wrote:
Have you actually ever played on a balance?
Well jeez I had a warlord second Age, its level 120 now so I guess I would know nothing about balance. Rolls eyes

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
RedDragon877 on Aug 10, 2017 wrote:
Well jeez I had a warlord second Age, its level 120 now so I guess I would know nothing about balance. Rolls eyes
It was a question. I am curious to why you are singling out balance, when clearly Ice is the biggest issue atm at max level pvp. Balance actually took a hit both 3rd and 4th age as far as pvp is concerned.

Defender
Dec 20, 2012
wakaflame201 on Aug 10, 2017 wrote:
well said and i couldn't agree more. Balance is a completely broken and brainless school. In some case i would call it "pvp training wheels" because they are giving so much support and barely have to worry about much. Just the other day i faced numerous balances and they all did the same thing. Lore, more lore shrike more lore gaze/ shadow spell and mana burn. Why should balance get a bubble when they dont even have any official set shield? Which also they have spirit/element shields only they can train but all they have to worry about is a tower shield. Every balance has on accurate over 100 damage with 40 pierce. If a balance shrike how are we stopping them from spamming us out? Its not like we can go hit for hit with them because lore weakens you with a chance of fizzle and does about 2k with shrike + bubble up. And i dont wanna get started on fire and ice.
Everyone is complaining about being insulted and then they go and insult people is my problem. Balance may be a bit overpowered at pvp, but that doesn't mean each school doesn't have it's advantages. Death's core message was give and take, from the very beginning. You get something as long as you give something in return. Balance's was that they got an even blend of spells from damage, healing, and blades. Myth is the real problem, they don't get any of that. Death is infinitely better than myth. I have to admit, I'm not much of a pvp person, but when Wizard101 was created, it was mostly for the storyline and not pvp was what they were focusing on. I'm sure they're still making updates, but I don't want them to make an update that comes at the risk of another school losing their specialty and making all the schools essentially the same thing. They have to be different, even if that means some are disenfranchised.

Cheyenne StormHunter
Level 99

Defender
Jan 24, 2009
DreamGalleon21154 on Aug 20, 2017 wrote:
Everyone is complaining about being insulted and then they go and insult people is my problem. Balance may be a bit overpowered at pvp, but that doesn't mean each school doesn't have it's advantages. Death's core message was give and take, from the very beginning. You get something as long as you give something in return. Balance's was that they got an even blend of spells from damage, healing, and blades. Myth is the real problem, they don't get any of that. Death is infinitely better than myth. I have to admit, I'm not much of a pvp person, but when Wizard101 was created, it was mostly for the storyline and not pvp was what they were focusing on. I'm sure they're still making updates, but I don't want them to make an update that comes at the risk of another school losing their specialty and making all the schools essentially the same thing. They have to be different, even if that means some are disenfranchised.

Cheyenne StormHunter
Level 99
Cheyenne you wanna talk about losing specialty? Every school got a x pip spell related to their "specialty" but deaths got minions? But i see you wont argue that would you? Anything you said still doesnt defeat the fact that death is uncoordinated. Death is a school that depends on blades but its unfair that other schools can use our utility better than us while also having their own. Death is also suppose to be a school that stands between Storm and ice but gets the perks of none? Also the only thing myth doesn't have is a heal but dont they have minions that can heal?And can draw health from minions? You going to Ignore the fact myth have utility for every situation? And can still use our utility better than us? We also gonna ignore myth got a mass hit that gives a decent shield? But i guess thats myths specialty "Defensive"?We going to forget myth got a spell that can hit mass and steal pip i guess thats myths specialty too "steal pips"? I can go on and on. This post is about helping death which it seem like you came to discuss the opposite.

Defender
Dec 20, 2012
wakaflame201 on Aug 21, 2017 wrote:
Cheyenne you wanna talk about losing specialty? Every school got a x pip spell related to their "specialty" but deaths got minions? But i see you wont argue that would you? Anything you said still doesnt defeat the fact that death is uncoordinated. Death is a school that depends on blades but its unfair that other schools can use our utility better than us while also having their own. Death is also suppose to be a school that stands between Storm and ice but gets the perks of none? Also the only thing myth doesn't have is a heal but dont they have minions that can heal?And can draw health from minions? You going to Ignore the fact myth have utility for every situation? And can still use our utility better than us? We also gonna ignore myth got a mass hit that gives a decent shield? But i guess thats myths specialty "Defensive"?We going to forget myth got a spell that can hit mass and steal pip i guess thats myths specialty too "steal pips"? I can go on and on. This post is about helping death which it seem like you came to discuss the opposite.

I'm saying we should help death, but not to the point of where you lose other schools' specialties. You want to steal Ice's specialty and Storm's and blend them together for Death? That's a little overdone. I think they should eliminate minions for all other schools other than myth, yes, I do think that is unfair. No one in Myth school conjures a minion to take 500 health from it, it just doesn't happen.

Survivor
Jan 27, 2011
I agree, especially because death as no good spammable spell. At max, really the only effective thing to do is be an offensive juju spammer, and even that doesnt work sometimes. To kick a man while he's down, every good spell that death has had has been nerfed, and whenever we fellow deaths try to come up with a good death strat, we get called out for "being a tryhard". It honestly just gets on my nerves so much, and death needs a boost in pvp. At any level, death really can't compete with other schools, and to make matters worse, balances can mana burn spam, which is really not a good thing because death NEEDS their pips. So please KI do something to help death get even with the other schools other than nerfing spells, cause obviously that's not working.

Defender
Jan 24, 2009
DreamGalleon21154 on Aug 21, 2017 wrote:
I'm saying we should help death, but not to the point of where you lose other schools' specialties. You want to steal Ice's specialty and Storm's and blend them together for Death? That's a little overdone. I think they should eliminate minions for all other schools other than myth, yes, I do think that is unfair. No one in Myth school conjures a minion to take 500 health from it, it just doesn't happen.
I didnt say i wanted to blend Ice and storm together.But there are cases of schools having similar effects to their related schools. Like for example how Myth stands between fire and ice. You can literally see a little of ice and fire(Mostly in) In Myth. Also with witch call can summon a minion easy + mass hit. Which makes it easier to use the heal that is 400. It is true it is 400 but it also criticals dont forget heal boost. Sacrifice is 3 pips does more damage than actual healing and takes your blades plus defenses? Not to mention they have more actually option rather than just draining or dot.

Survivor
Jan 28, 2009
I agree death does feel like its neglected every update.

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
I am a level 120 get beaten by Death lot, especially from second. And Death is fun to quest with. You can spam vampire which doesn't do much damage but does transfer health back to you. Maybe lower pip cost of vampire to two.

Delver
Dec 08, 2016
Sorry if this came across as a biased 'let's make Death overpowered' argument to some, which was not what I intended. I also wanted to include Storm and Myth in my post, but couldn't (due to the character limit). My overall message to get across was that Death has been a low tier school in PvP for quite some time now. A little upgrade and a few changes to help the school wouldn't hurt, right? Plus, I think if this were to happen, it would reduce the Juju spammers in the arena. Also, I reckon they should give Life a better AoE Shadow spell. They're in need of one.