Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Feedback Friday 7-28-17

AuthorMessage
Administrator
Hi Wizards! It's Friday and it's time for another topic to discuss.

Unfortunately, you might have heard, the wily Shadow Trickster tricked all of us and snuck into the Live Servers way too early. Velma Von Venkman has hunted it down and is keeping it quarantined until it's ready for prime time in the future. As an update, we're tracking down how many people it tricked with an incomplete spell (aptly named Trick), and this spell will be fully removed from game as soon as we can. However, as you probably guessed, you can look forward to a completely functional Shadow Trickster spell (and some other surprises) in a future update.

That being said, sometimes a trick can lead to an unexpected treat! Today's question is – since the cat is now out of the bag of tricks, and you know more Shadow Magic is in your wizard’s future, what else would you like us to add to Shadow magic? Has this sparked your spell-making creativity? Let us know!

(In case you missed the fun, you can check out Blaze Lifehammer's videos from this week if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

Blaze discovers the Shadow Room is open and completes the quest.
Blaze talks about how now the Shadow teacher is missing.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Happy Friday and have a wonderful weekend!

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!

“If the Mind is like a candle, the Heart is like the sun.” Professor Falmea
Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Professor Falmea on Jul 28, 2017 wrote:

Unfortunately, you might have heard, the wily Shadow Trickster tricked all of us and snuck into the Live Servers way too early. Velma Von Venkman has hunted it down and is keeping it quarantined until it's ready for prime time in the future. As an update, we're tracking down how many people it tricked with an incomplete spell (aptly named Trick), and this spell will be fully removed from game as soon as we can. However, as you probably guessed, you can look forward to a completely functional Shadow Trickster spell (and some other surprises) in a future update.

That being said, sometimes a trick can lead to an unexpected treat! Today's question is – since the cat is now out of the bag of tricks, and you know more Shadow Magic is in your wizard’s future, what else would you like us to add to Shadow magic? Has this sparked your spell-making creativity? Let us know!

(In case you missed the fun, you can check out Blaze Lifehammer's videos from this week if you don't know what I'm talking about.)

Standard disclaimer applies: We do not guarantee to use each and every idea submitted, and questions we pose may or may not be pertaining to things we are currently working on, or will ever undertake. Sometimes, there are just technical limitations that make changing things difficult to impossible, and though we possess all manner of magic wands here, there are technological beasts out there that are beyond our grasp. Sometimes, we may not feel it is within the spirit and vision of the spiral to add or change something. Also, we realize that some of these topics may have been addressed before in other threads - sometimes it's good to pick up a discussion again. Chances are I have read your threads and would like to hear more!
I think it's time that we take a break from Shadow-enhanced damage spells and move onto something that can diversify the schools instead. I saw someone on the Message Boards made a suggestion that we could get new utility spells that require some regular pips AND Shadow pips also! I think this is a really good idea, and it would give the 7 schools some unique new abilities that they haven't gotten for years now.

Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
A shadow creature called the Dark Shaman, which would be a group heal spell when it comes to fruition.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Shadow classroom's window is supposed to have a view of the black hole. That should be added in before the proper time comes.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
I call it Shadow surprise it's tiny Shadow minion that hidebehind Shields/traps and attracts when The Shield/trap is broken it attacks the wizard who broke it doing 200 damage. This shadow spell can be placed on attack spells that leave behind shields and traps such as abominable Weaver. Velma could quote that the brightest lights cast the darkest Shadows as the shadow surprise can be stacked with a sun spell (i.e epic) on attacks making it stronger. Also there could be a quest to hide small shadows behind things in the arcanum to fortify it from the cabal and one small shadow could be left behind and Velma gives it to us as a small pet that looks like the shadow creatures (the large shadow in the battle behind our wiz) and transforms into their attack form when idle. This shadow pet can be equiped at the same time as your regular pet and only gives a shadow pip chance and other stats but youcan't hatch them because they are not regular pets. Also when idle they could scare our pet causing it to run around the wizard.

Survivor
Feb 28, 2009
Shadow surprise: small shadow that hids behind Shields and traps deals 200 damage and pops out screaming surprise! Then hits the person who broke the shield or the person the trap is on. The shadow can also be placed on attack spells the leave behind a trap or shield (this way they can be enchanted using a sun spell like epic dealing more damage)

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
When you say "what else would you like us to add to Shadow magic?", I hope that does not mean that this trick spell is how it is actually going to be released, its seems pretty broken!

While you are busy figuring out what actions to take you should also consider that although some people just went to get the spell to see what it was, others were actually using it to try to gain an unfair advantage against their opponents in PVP

Survivor
Dec 22, 2009
I'd like to see a spell, maybe called Shadow Conversion, that sacrifices X amount of pips-say 2 pips-to give you a shadow pip. Maybe make it so that if you already have a Shadow Pip, you can't gain another using Shadow Conversion? Just a thought. We really need another way to gain shadow pips other than waiting for them to maybe show up before we die. Thanks for the great topic!

Survivor
Jul 08, 2014
How about a spell that improves Polymorphs? The dark side of the moon is a giant shadow cast by the Sun, and having Moon and Shadow work together would help bring spells back into use, as to how they are boosted, maybe by giving some more attack, or others more health. After Celestia, it is an extremely low chance to see anyone using a Spell, I myself am part of that extremely low chance, though it's hard to use in Mirage because of each polymorph having no resistances like what gear provides, and the newer ones now are weak to certain schools, with moon spells revolutionized, it could completely change how people view moon school!

Survivor
Apr 14, 2010
How about a 2 pip (one power pip) and one shadow pip damage spell? It should have a intermediate damage, perhaps 400-500, and be the standard accuracy of the school in which it corresponds.

Survivor
Feb 07, 2009
My idea is kind of hard to explain so here is an example...

Let's say I'm a life wizard. I'm mainly a support wizard and have a questing buddy who is a storm wizard. I can't learn storm blade, or any other storm spells that my amplify my friend. It would be awesome if I was able to learn storm blade but instead of it just costing me 0 pips, what if it costed me a shadow pip.

But to balance it, maybe have this actually be an extra blade, so for a storm blade if you have an extra shadow pip as a supporter, you could use a +45% blade that can be stacked.

But yeah, I think that would be pretty cool!

Champion
Feb 06, 2010

I would love to see a shadow spell that allows you to clone a minion of yourself, or maybe a target that you kill in battle is resurrected as a minion on your side!!

Survivor
Jun 23, 2012
I'm so hyped for the new shadow spells, and i hope you guys will refund the training points for that "trick" spell. What I think you guys should add are these:

Shadow armor (1 shadow pip)- absorbs 500 health damage.

Shadow enhancer (1 shadow pip) enhances 2 pips/power pips adding 1 pip. Example: You have 2 power pips and 1 shadow pip. You cast shadow enhancer and now you have 2 "enchanted power pips." (2 enchanted power pips = 6 pips).

Dark Dragon (3 shadow pips(maybe))- Deals 500-650 shadow damage and turns 1 blade and 1 shield into 1 weakness and 1 trap.

Shadow clone (2 shadow pips, x pips)- Summons a copy of you! Has the same resistance and critical blocks stats as you do. Damage and critical stats are based on the amount of pips you used (4% damage and 5% critical chance per pips). Has all the spells you have in your spell deck (excluding the shadow clone spell). applies 70% intercept to the caster only. When the shadow clone gets killed, it applies backlash damage to the caster based on the amounts of pips you used (2% health per pips).

I'm so excited about getting more new shadow spells and I hope you guys add a lot more of them. Happy wizarding!

Survivor
Jun 09, 2009
I want more spells like Rusalka's wrath. Shadow spells are supposed to not just be a 'uberpowered' spell, by your own words: "It is unstable and difficult to control. Players will need to learn how to best manage Shadow Magic and harness its very powerful benefits without losing themselves in the process to Backlash."

That is the one thing that all shadow enhanced spells (save for Ruslka's wrath) are missing. Backlash. All of them are just incredibly powerful spells. They should have, or at least future ones, should have a greater cost to them than they do.

Survivor
Feb 24, 2016
In my firm opinion, I think that the future of shadow magic should have a donate shadow pip spell that removed 2 shadow pips from the caster and gives 1 pip in return. I also think that we should finally get our third shadow pip slot! (For those who don't know, allot of bosses have more than 2, especially the final area bosses in Mirage and Polaris.) I saw allot of potential in shadow magic when it was released, but you guys haven't done much with it. I really think it could take off if the school got utility spells and, maybe, a variant of learn-able forms like in Khrysalis. Who knows, maybe we could even have shadow enchant, which changes the school of the summoning spell to shadow and costs the same pips as a normal school summoned spell! It wouldn't necessarily give it attack damage, but it would make it allot harder for people to dispel you since there isn't a shadow dispel yet! Anyways, thanks for the info Kingsisle and hope to see future updates to shadow magic!

Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
I would like to see new utility spells that use both regular & shadow pips, like:

Balance: 2 pips PLUS 1 shadow pip
Charity - donate 1 power pip to each ally

Storm: 2 pips PLUS 1 shadow pip
Mass Cleanse - remove all negative charms

Fire: 2 pips PLUS 1 shadow pip
Silence - make the enemies unable to cast one charm

Ice: 2 pips PLUS 1 shadow pip
Exemption - make friends immune up to 1000 damage during one round

Myth: 2 pips PLUS 1 shadow pip
Reciprocation - trade 1 allies' negative effect with enemies (like a mass dimension, but weaker)

Death: 2 pips PLUS 1 shadow pip
Usurper - makes the next drain heal allies by 25% of its damage

Life: 2 pips & 1 shadow pip
Reverse Flow - switch the initial planning phase (can only be used once)

Explorer
Jan 22, 2012
I would love a dark empower which cost 2 pips and 0 shadow pips which gives you a shadow pip.

Daniel
Champion Necromancer

Mastermind
Mar 16, 2009
I've been wanting a return to a time where off-school damage is viable, and Shadow (as well as the Astral schools) could be a neat way to do that. We already have those Shadow Creatures, but with the 2 Shadow Pip cost, the delay before they hit, and how our own school's damage stat is much higher than our Shadow damage stat, they can be a little difficult to use as effectively as other options.

Maybe a Shadow Form that boosts the return you gain from Drain Spells (and maybe the damage of Drains specifically)? It'd be a little weird for there to be a Shadow Form that was made for pretty much one school if not every school was getting one, but still something that might be cool nonetheless.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015

I thought up of some new ideas.

It's obvious that as we go farther into the third arc, more and more enemies will be using Shadow magic against us. I think it would be good if the following spells become trainable from Velma:
  • Shadow Blade
  • Shadow Trap
  • Shadow Dispel
  • Shadow Shield

Also, what I liked about The Scorpion and Grandfather Spider is that they used spells that we already have, but they were Shadow versions of them and dealt Shadow damage. I think it would be cool if we were given a Shadow Mutate type spell that allows us to change a card into dealing Shadow damage. The spell would use up our Shadow Blades and Shadow damage percent from our gear, and the enemy's Shadow resist would also be taken into account.

I can see this being used in PvP as a way to counter school specific shields as Shadow Shield isn't a trainable spell.

Survivor
Mar 30, 2011
I have several ideas for some unique spells that would definitely feel welcome in the shadow school; here's what I have so far (names and attributes debatable, of course):

-"Purify" | Utility | 0 Pips + 1 SP
Convert a shadow pip into 1 or 2 power pips

-"Chronoflux" | Utility | ? Pips + 2 SP
Rotate the starting team
Notes:
-Needs a buffer to deny spamming
-Spell takes effect on the following upkeep

-"Umbrosphere" | Global | ? Pips + 1 SP
Reduce outgoing damage by 50%

-"Deft Maneuver" | Utility | 0 Pips + 1 SP
Swap positions with an ally on the field
Notes:
-Any targeted spell will land on it's originally targeted space: This spell can be used to dodge an attack. Any hanging effects should ideally be transferred with the swapping mages

-"Rend" | Damage | X Pips + 1 or 2 SP
Deals X damage as "raw" damage / HP Removal
Notes:
-Highly debatable, ideally it should have reduced damage compared to regular attacks and should bypass the combat phase entirely: E.G. when it should deal 500 damage, an enemy will simply have 500 health removed, while blades and wards are untouched

-"Eldritch Possession" | "Aura" | 0 Pips + 1 SP
Take fatal damage to bestow an ally with complete immunity (damage, stun, etc), increased damage (50% to 100%), and maybe pierce (~25%) for 3-4 rounds
Notes:
-Cannot be reshuffled
-Cannot be revived after use (or, perhaps, several revives are required).
-There is no way to avoid the fatal damage.
-CAN be used on self to gain all effects, but the user will die after the aura dissipates

-"Equalize" | Utility | X? Pips + 1 or 2 SP
Take the mean health of all active players and apply it to each
Notes:
-Some enemies should have immunity to the effects
-An X-Pip cost could utilize a mechanic in which an inverse relationship to standard-deviations is used where a lower pip cost would cause enemies to have health ABOVE the mean, and a higher pip cost would cause ALLIES to have health above the mean
-No-PVP?

Survivor
Aug 15, 2009
I'm a fan of Magic... However it might be time to give us yet another type of Magic.
BUT... if you really want a few ideas I say some heals, shadow blades and traps and even star/shadow auras.

Survivor
Jan 05, 2015
shields and a spell to make the wizards spells for exp... bugs, :) spells like that

Survivor
Jul 22, 2015
Enhanced Traps:
When an opponent performs a certain action, activates trap (kinda like boss cheats)
Ex.
Shadow Enhanced Balance Trap:
When opponent heals, they get a -25% weakness.
Ex2.
Shadow Enhanced Fire Trap:
When opponent blades, steal it and apply a -45% accuracy.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
BrahmShadow on Jul 29, 2017 wrote:
I thought up of some new ideas.

It's obvious that as we go farther into the third arc, more and more enemies will be using Shadow magic against us. I think it would be good if the following spells become trainable from Velma:
  • Shadow Blade
  • Shadow Trap
  • Shadow Dispel
  • Shadow Shield

Also, what I liked about The Scorpion and Grandfather Spider is that they used spells that we already have, but they were Shadow versions of them and dealt Shadow damage. I think it would be cool if we were given a Shadow Mutate type spell that allows us to change a card into dealing Shadow damage. The spell would use up our Shadow Blades and Shadow damage percent from our gear, and the enemy's Shadow resist would also be taken into account.

I can see this being used in PvP as a way to counter school specific shields as Shadow Shield isn't a trainable spell.
I too would like to see Shadow blade, trap, dispel and shield become trainable for the same reason you mentioned.

Survivor
Oct 18, 2015
Explorer
Nov 21, 2011
Oh my, that tricky little Shadow Trickster tricked all of us, didn't he?

But still, i'm gonna have to say +1 for the Shadow Clone idea. After touching shadow, what better minion is there other than the darkness within oneself?
The intercept would make it particularly useful as well, anything from 60% to 95% intercept would make it a priority to take down the clone as soon as possible!

Gonna throw out a +1 for Shadow Blade/Trap/Dispel/Shield as well

Shadow gives way to chaos, so how about a Shadow spell which shuffles everyone's buffs and debuffs around? *Think of dimension shift, but it shuffles things between all allies AND all enemies* This could affect the entire field to make things truly chaotic!

Looking back to Mirage, there was one boss which took your shadow pips and changed them into power pips. Having a spell available to change excess power pips into shadow pips would be undeniably useful, or vice versa.

Physical attacks in some form would be interesting, a way to attack without having a wand equipped. There's just something that sounds satisfying about slapping, punching or kicking enemies to defeat them. This could relate to Shadow magic in that they could be powered up with shadow pips to leave certain aftereffects *weakness, minor overtime Shadow damage, etc*, and could be a twist on usual wand hits.
Alternatively, it could just be something entertaining for the wandless