Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Accounts, Terms of Use.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 15, 2017
Hey there.

I have a question in regards to quite a peculiar thing stated in the Terms of Use section.

The specific sections, under accounts, reads :"We may suspend or terminate your account for any failure to comply with these Terms of Use, any terms related to any service offered through the Site or for any reason whatsoever, or for no reason." (https://www.wizard101.com/patchClient/termsofuse).

Why for no reason?
So basically, the game may ban you for no reason. Removing your rights of owning purchased items and such.
Ive spent close to £100 on this game now, and this so called rule makes me worried. Either I am misunderstanding the concept of it, or your rules are ridiculous.

I'm just asking for this to be explained to me. Is everyone at a potential risk of being banned then? If kingisle has the 'right' to ban for no reason?

Thank you.

Explorer
Jul 20, 2014
Attorneys are to blame here. In our frivolous lawsuit world, certain things have to be worded in ways that seem devoid of common sense. Just follow the rules, and you will be fine. No reputable game would ever expunge a paying customer without just cause.

Explorer
Dec 30, 2013
This is quite an interesting post and observation.

I confess I didn't read the Terms of Use thoroughly, but this statement seems rather unreasonable. Even though KingsIsle owns the game, it's not fair they can simply "ban for no reason", there always must be a reason for such a serious decision like this.

I don't believe, though, they've ever banned anyone for "no reason", as it's not rationally correct, so I guess it has been mistakenly stated.

Maybe a moderator can clear this up.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Deestinyer on Jul 27, 2017 wrote:
Hey there.

I have a question in regards to quite a peculiar thing stated in the Terms of Use section.

The specific sections, under accounts, reads :"We may suspend or terminate your account for any failure to comply with these Terms of Use, any terms related to any service offered through the Site or for any reason whatsoever, or for no reason." (https://www.wizard101.com/patchClient/termsofuse).

Why for no reason?
So basically, the game may ban you for no reason. Removing your rights of owning purchased items and such.
Ive spent close to £100 on this game now, and this so called rule makes me worried. Either I am misunderstanding the concept of it, or your rules are ridiculous.

I'm just asking for this to be explained to me. Is everyone at a potential risk of being banned then? If kingisle has the 'right' to ban for no reason?

Thank you.
It means exactly what it says. KI owns the game entirely and if they choose to ban any or all players, it is their right to do so.

Survivor
Jan 31, 2013
It is basically them letting you know that because you are on their game just because you have put money into that account they still hold the right to withdraw your access to the account under any circumstance. It does mean also that you can appeal in most cases however due to never having been banned myself I am not too sure whether you could. It is merely a legal statement due to there is a use of money within the majority of accounts and such it means that no matter how much you put into your account we are still the owners of any account that is made on their games nothing to worry about as KI is extremely good when it comes to things like this so it isn't something that should worry you as the majority of gaming companies and other industry companies have this! Hope to see you in the spiral

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
SrEdu on Jul 28, 2017 wrote:
This is quite an interesting post and observation.

I confess I didn't read the Terms of Use thoroughly, but this statement seems rather unreasonable. Even though KingsIsle owns the game, it's not fair they can simply "ban for no reason", there always must be a reason for such a serious decision like this.

I don't believe, though, they've ever banned anyone for "no reason", as it's not rationally correct, so I guess it has been mistakenly stated.

Maybe a moderator can clear this up.
It is not mistakenly stated. If you go check the terms of use/service for other games such as WOW, you will find they also have the same terms.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Deestinyer on Jul 27, 2017 wrote:
Hey there.

Why for no reason?

Thank you.
I'd guess this is partly "lawyers" but it's also a legally worded way for KI to suspend their service. If they decide to shut off their servers or if they go bankrupt, for example, then our accounts would be terminated "for no reason." This wording covers those possibilities.

Or maybe it's like those restaurants that warn "we have the right to refuse service to anyone." Generally they're not going to turn anyone away but in a rare case where someone is being disruptive or exploiting the game, even if they're not crossing any legal lines, they can still be shut out.

Best example I can think of is a few years ago. A bunch of people were banned for reharvesting the glowing mushroom housing item in Azteca and reselling it over and over for gold. (We're supposed to only collect it once, but a bug let people pick it up again and again.) Or, when a bunch of people exploited a trick from gardening that let them reharvest "elder" plants over and over again. Neither action was explicitly against the terms of service, but the tricks they used took way more gold than they were entitled to. So KI banned the ones who seriously abused those exploits. That would be the "for no reason" clause in action.

Alia Misthaven

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
DragonLady1818 on Jul 28, 2017 wrote:
It is not mistakenly stated. If you go check the terms of use/service for other games such as WOW, you will find they also have the same terms.
This. DragonLady is spot on.

All games have this same exact clause. Although they can ban you for no reason, they don't. They want your money/business, but are willing to part ways with you if you are exploiting, cheating, or just all around making grief with other players (i.e. if you are hurting their business, they don't want your business).

Defender
Jul 27, 2010
Like Freshta said, it's probably like a "right to refuse service" thing if you're exploiting the game or something along those lines. Don't worry about the "for no reason part," they're not gonna ban you out of nowhere, of course not. That'd be very unfair, especially if you put money into the game. As long as you stick to the rules and be a good, fair player, nothing bad will happen to you. If you're still concerned, ask a moderator about what it means.