Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Castle Magic Problems

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 26, 2016
Castle magic is amazing, so I don't have any complaints. But I have found some problems that could especially cause frustration for wizards new to castle magic.

A spell target sometimes changes by itself to a different target

This target identity problem becomes more noticeable with greater numbers of the same type of item. For example, I have 29 magic reflectors in one area. An item with "activate reflector" spell will frequently change the target to a magic reflector near the original target. This happens when there are changes to the location (moving) or number (adding or removing) of magic reflectors nearby. I'm now prepared to deal with it rather quickly each time it happens, but it was really frustrating at first. The next most popular item with identity issues are pet crumbs. Castle magic spells targeting pet crumbs will sometimes change the target to a different pet crumb.

Doesn't work: A second Magic Item Detector set to detect the same type of item.

The first Magic Item Detector set to the target type in an area will activate appropriately when the target item is detected. A second Magic Item Detector added to the area and then set to the same target type won't work at all. Even if it is the first Magic Item Detector to encounter the item. I tested this thoroughly using the "Darkmoor Beacon" item. The item is moved by the spell "Move To Me" which is cast by a magic reflector. I have great plans for this and would really like it to work.

Issues with items moved or teleported by castle magic spells

When activating "place item" (to add/pickup/move an item to an area), an item which was just moved or teleported by castle magic may become stuck at the new location. And it is no longer the target of any castle magic spells. Spell targets can be set to point at the item at the new location. But after quitting the game and then returning to the area, the item will be back in its original location. Once the target item becomes stuck though, the spells targeting it must be reset. So it is best to quit the game when an item becomes stuck, and then return to find the item back where it should be, and then reset the appropriate spell targets. This happens easily with the long blue runner, but also it happened with the stone fireplace. WORK AROUND: For the long blue runner, I have a magic lever placed in the area to reset the long blue runner back to its original location; and I always reset the long blue runner before using "place item"

Suggestion regarding the above identity problems

With 29 magic reflectors, I would like to suggest an option to name them like pets. It would help make it easier for me to track and find problems when a target changes by itself. Also it might help with the target identity problems mentioned above. With a name to help distinguish a target item, maybe a spell could better resist changing its target to something else nearby.

Thanks for continuing to improve Castle Magic!!

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
RSkllbrkr on Jul 16, 2017 wrote:
Castle magic is amazing, so I don't have any complaints. But I have found some problems that could especially cause frustration for wizards new to castle magic.

A spell target sometimes changes by itself to a different target

This target identity problem becomes more noticeable with greater numbers of the same type of item. For example, I have 29 magic reflectors in one area. An item with "activate reflector" spell will frequently change the target to a magic reflector near the original target. This happens when there are changes to the location (moving) or number (adding or removing) of magic reflectors nearby. I'm now prepared to deal with it rather quickly each time it happens, but it was really frustrating at first. The next most popular item with identity issues are pet crumbs. Castle magic spells targeting pet crumbs will sometimes change the target to a different pet crumb.

Doesn't work: A second Magic Item Detector set to detect the same type of item.

The first Magic Item Detector set to the target type in an area will activate appropriately when the target item is detected. A second Magic Item Detector added to the area and then set to the same target type won't work at all. Even if it is the first Magic Item Detector to encounter the item. I tested this thoroughly using the "Darkmoor Beacon" item. The item is moved by the spell "Move To Me" which is cast by a magic reflector. I have great plans for this and would really like it to work.

Issues with items moved or teleported by castle magic spells

When activating "place item" (to add/pickup/move an item to an area), an item which was just moved or teleported by castle magic may become stuck at the new location. And it is no longer the target of any castle magic spells. Spell targets can be set to point at the item at the new location. But after quitting the game and then returning to the area, the item will be back in its original location. Once the target item becomes stuck though, the spells targeting it must be reset. So it is best to quit the game when an item becomes stuck, and then return to find the item back where it should be, and then reset the appropriate spell targets. This happens easily with the long blue runner, but also it happened with the stone fireplace. WORK AROUND: For the long blue runner, I have a magic lever placed in the area to reset the long blue runner back to its original location; and I always reset the long blue runner before using "place item"

Suggestion regarding the above identity problems

With 29 magic reflectors, I would like to suggest an option to name them like pets. It would help make it easier for me to track and find problems when a target changes by itself. Also it might help with the target identity problems mentioned above. With a name to help distinguish a target item, maybe a spell could better resist changing its target to something else nearby.

Thanks for continuing to improve Castle Magic!!
I have had these exact same issues using multiple reflectors - I only use them for growing objects (no movements) and items either drop off or 'steal' a grow from a targeted item, as well as random reflectors being ignored by the previous one and the chain of reflectors have to all be reset.

Thanks for bringing it to attention, I keep having to reset many reflectors' targets constantly - maybe numbering them like the pet crumbs might work?
issues aside, I am having a lot of fun with it too