Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How do I get open chat?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jan 24, 2010
Hey everyone,

I actually just figured out there was such a thing as open chat a year ago (lol I'm so oblivious). So anyway for text chat you basically have to be over 13 or the owner of the account can enable it. However, for open chat I heard you must be 18 or older and make a purchase. So I'm confused because one day someone just told me to get open chat like a glass of water. Do you have to wait to be 18 or can your parent enable it? Secondly, if your parent has used their credit card to purchase something in the past, would that be valid, and if not how could we prove it's ours? Sorry I'm just confused and have been hearing a lot of different things, I would appreciate it if some one answered my question.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Please research the forum before you ask a question like this. This has been asked multiple times in the last week or so and in each one, answers have been given. There is also the HELP button at the top of this page, there is a SEARCH button that you can use as well.

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/halstons-laboratory/open-chat-53332/296639?fromSearchResult=true#296639

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/halstons-laboratory/open-chat-10283/51085?fromSearchResult=true#51085

https://www.wizard101.com/game/help-faq

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
indyjunior on Jul 15, 2017 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I actually just figured out there was such a thing as open chat a year ago (lol I'm so oblivious). So anyway for text chat you basically have to be over 13 or the owner of the account can enable it. However, for open chat I heard you must be 18 or older and make a purchase. So I'm confused because one day someone just told me to get open chat like a glass of water. Do you have to wait to be 18 or can your parent enable it? Secondly, if your parent has used their credit card to purchase something in the past, would that be valid, and if not how could we prove it's ours? Sorry I'm just confused and have been hearing a lot of different things, I would appreciate it if some one answered my question.

Here's a copy of one of my posts:

It doesn't matter that you turned 18 in real life, what really matters is when you made your account, and what age you put on it. For example, if you made an account on February 25, 2017 and you put the age as 15, then you would have to wait until February 25, 2020 to enable open chat, when your account would then be 18 years old. I suggest you look at when you made your account, and try to recall what age you put down on it. If you don't remember, I suggest emailing Kingsisle. If the option for open chat is not listed under the account options area, then you still have to wait. Buying a membership/crowns will not make it show up if you still have to wait. HOWEVER, if you originally put down your age as 12 or younger when you made your account, then that account will NEVER get open chat. The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally. If you put the age as at least 13, then it is simply a matter of waiting.

If you satisfy that criteria, you can enable Open Chat by logging in to your account's settings with the master password. As long as the option for Open Chat IS there, you can enable it as long as the owner of the account made a purchase some time in the past.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
indyjunior on Jul 15, 2017 wrote:
Hey everyone,

I don't remember if it can just be enabled even if the account is under 18. But as long as you did a credit card purchase in the past, you can enable it.

I suggest going to the parental options and seeing if their is an option for it