Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Enemies and Allies suddenly becoming untargettable

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 02, 2017
I've been experiencing an absolutely absurd glitch that I've never seen before.
Sometimes when I'm in a battle, looking over my cards and what to do, the screen makes a brief pause, almost like a camera cutting. Then, I am unable to click on any card. It forces me to select 'Pass' or 'Flee'. I noticed that I can still discard cards and draw Treasure Cards, but not select them. So I tried using the arrow keys to flip through the cards, which worked, but the space bar did not select the cards or allow me to target my enemies or allies.
It happens at the most random times. I have tried battling Lost Souls to attempt to figure out what triggers it, but I have no idea.
What is even more strange is that it allows me to select spells such as Sandstorm and Pixie, ones that you do not have to click on an individual in the battle in order to use it, and it uses them successfully. But not single target spells.
It happens at the most random times. I have tried battling Lost Souls on Unicorn Way to attempt to figure out what triggers it, but I have no idea. It doesn't carry on throughout the entire fight, only once in a while during the planning phase.
Another observation I have made is that when this freeze-up glitch happens, it removes the affixed health indicators that would normally be at the top and bottom of our screen, the ones that contain the enemy's current health, original health, and name tag, for both enemies and allies. It also doesn't allow me to see the indication for anyone's spell. Its as if the system forgets that I'm fighting, but still somehow knows that I must have spell cards on my screen.
I honestly hope that the Wizard101 admins have already noticed this glitch happening, because it is happening very frequently and I am not very happy when it happens in an important fight. I spent money on a membership and I don't want any of the membership timer to be wasted because of this glitch.
This bug makes it very difficult for me to quest.

Survivor
Feb 18, 2017
Also having this bug, friends confirm they are as well.

No idea what the trigger is, but when it does, nobody in at least as far as the area I'm in can target, not just me or the battle zone.

Mastermind
May 12, 2009
I am having the same problem. I was completing the Daily Assignment and was in the battle for about four rounds. I could only blade myself on one of the rounds out of the entire duel.

Please take a look into this, as this is very disrupting to gameplay. Thank you.

Best of luck!
S.S.

Survivor
Jul 30, 2010
before the new update battles were working just fine and then after it won't let me attack for 1-5 rounds other people have been saying this too

Survivor
Jul 02, 2017
I have made a recent discovery! Eureka!
I was on Firecat Alley, fighting a Fire Elf Hunter, trying to figure out the trigger again.
I read Dufel's post and thought he was onto something.
In the background of my fight, I could see another player in another duel. Whenever my attack phase ended, And the camera shifted up, I could see him pass in the fight. I had a major hunch that he was experiencing the glitch,
because every time his attack phase ended in the background, the camera cut and I was unable to select cards.
So it's when someone in your area, or at least near your duel area, enters the planning phase, and if anyone else in a planning phase already they will be disconnected from targetting with their cards. The reason, I don't know, but I've figured out the trigger.
I asked the person after both of our fights ended, and he confirmed that the glitch has been happening to him.
Me: "Were you forced to pass in the fight earlier?"
Other player: "Yes it's an odd glitch, why?"
I explained this theory to him too.
My advice is, until this glitch gets patched, avoid crowded realms. That way, duels won't come up in your area so often.

Survivor
Jul 02, 2017
My sister and I conducted an experiment to figure out exactly how close together the battles need to be in order for this glitch to happen. After making sure we were in the same realm, we went onto Unicorn Way, and she got into a duel near the hedge maze with a Dark Fairy. I got into a duel close to the start of the road with a Lost Soul. We purposely passed and let the planning phase come back to us, and we took turns doing this, but we were always able to use our spells. The glitch did not occur when we were that far apart, so it does not affect the whole area.
We repeated this experiment, except with our duels side by side on the road. The glitch occurred every time one of us ended an attack phase.
This shows that for whatever odd reason, this glitch occurs when someone's attack phase ends while your planning phase is still in duration, but only if their battle is adjacent to your's.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
I've also had this experience.

I've also had a related experience on my death wizard when using beguile. It's like an extra round that I can't target them. (Like their is the round where they are on our team or whatever, but then the round after I can't target them and they are no longer on our team?) Not sure if that is a related or separate issue.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Thumbs up to you for some stellar debugging work!

Alia Misthaven

Survivor
Jun 10, 2010
I also have this problem except it isn't just me everyone that I was playing with in that realm near my character was saying they had this problem too. So far I have only seen this glitch happen in Wizard City and not in any other world. The main problem is that some rounds in battle everybody's names disappear enemies and friends in battle included and when you click on spell you can not target a friend nor an enemy and you are forced to pass or flee. This should be fixed ASAP because this can make the game not enjoyable.

Survivor
May 25, 2009
I'm having the same issues! It's like a round of beguile, but I can't select anything!

Survivor
Jul 14, 2017
This is a huge bug in the game, at first I assumed it was my computer but after playing with many others it turns out that it is a game issue. When in battle random rounds will not allow you to choose any cards for that round. Sometimes it is separated and other times it is one round after another. It is difficult to plan out a strategy and successfully winning a battle. I hope this gets fixed ASAP.

Survivor
Jul 11, 2017
Hello, there's this bug that happens sometimes when I'm battling. The bug is random and sometimes happens multiple times in a row. Here's the bug, whenever I am trying to select a spell during battle the screen freezes for a second then it unfreezes really fast, when I try to select a spell again it won't let me select a character or npc to use it on. I do not have screen shots or a video to help explain it more, but this is a problem for me because this bug has made me "die" twice. Thank you for looking over this subject.

Survivor
Sep 03, 2016
^ having the exact same issue, and it ruins many of my battles too.

Survivor
Jun 05, 2013
on occasion at the start of a turn in a battle, everyone in the battles health would disappear making it impossible to target any one person or enemy with a spell. forcing you to pass or do an AOE attack. i have seen this happen for a few days now and hoping that it gets fixed.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
friendlywizard18 on Jul 15, 2017 wrote:
This is a huge bug in the game, at first I assumed it was my computer but after playing with many others it turns out that it is a game issue. When in battle random rounds will not allow you to choose any cards for that round. Sometimes it is separated and other times it is one round after another. It is difficult to plan out a strategy and successfully winning a battle. I hope this gets fixed ASAP.
I had this same issue last night. I had 2 wizards running in Khrysalis, Moon Cliffs and if my life wizard tried to select a spell, heal or whatever I needed, it would not let me cast it. Sometimes it would be for 2 or 3 rounds in a row and other times it would be every other round.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2012
I have something similar to this happening. I chose a card to attack with and the enemy highlights for a second then is no longer highlighted. I cant select the enemy to attack no matter what I attempt. Strange that it allows me to cast a self heal but nothing on the enemy. I have plenty of pips available for any attack as I am a low level character. It is extremely random. Some fights I have no problems and others I am lucky to survive. I have played before several years ago and never encountered this problem. I am hoping someone might have a solution! Thanks in advance.

Survivor
Apr 17, 2011
We are having the same issue. Many times we can not apply spells to players or NPCs
Please fix this issue asap, thank you

Survivor
Apr 17, 2011
Having this issue in Khrysalis
It's more of an issue on a weekend when everyone is playing.
I hope they fix this issue soon.

Survivor
May 11, 2010
I am having the same problem. Not being able to fight is one thing but having no health bars on enemy or allies is most annoying. There is no way to tell what your fighting ally is doing. It is very annoying and I don't want to play when this happens.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2009
I also would like this to be fixed since the only options in battle would be to pass or use a spell that works without needing to click a target

Historian
Jul 18, 2010
Actually, this happens to me sometimes too. It usually goes away after I play around with the full screen option.. But seriously, something needs to be done.

Defender
Jun 08, 2015
on the July 13th, I noted the new updates caused problems and reported them to support
the problem is that spells won't apply to targets in some instances . . . mostly when fighting alone or with only 2 wizards. You click on the spell and cursor turns to green arrow, then click on the target, the cursor changes to cards and then a new and different cursor but will not apply no matter what you do. The only spells you can get to apply are the ones you don't have to select a target for, like a DAE spell or a blade that hits all

Problem is is only in the game and not on my computer; is not related to the game, but to the new updates. First day of updated material is the day the problem started.

I don't want to re-install wizard101 again because I'm still finding places I can't go without long waits while it loads everything again and it's a real pain to have to sit there and click off all the little how to's that have been noted since time began.

Can you please find the problem and cure it? Since reporting it, I've talked so several players having the same problem.

Defender
Jun 08, 2015
I just came in and reported a bug that appeared with the new updates whereas randonly I select a spell but can not get it to apply to target . . . except for mass or DAE files . . . forget applying a blade to my own wizard or a prism or a trap . . . if it is the same problem, I started having it on June 13 . . . noticed it right away; worse when battling alone or in pairs . . . doesn't seem to occur as much when groups of 3 and 4. Since I mostly quest alone, it's a BIG problem.

Defender
Jun 08, 2015
with my new post, this is the third post of same kind: I select a spell and then click on the target; cursor turns into green checkmark after I select the spell, when I select target, it will not apply . . . turns into cards cursor temporarily, then into strange cursor I've never seen before.

Everyone I talked to tonight seems to think it's a problem with there system and never knew anyone else was having the problem . . . by the time you've lost 3 rounds to not being able to apply the spell to the target, some wizards are dead and others are close to . . . it happened to me several times tonight in Tartarus: Hades the Unseen and that is definitely a bad place to have it happen.

Survivor
Nov 25, 2010
This morning 8-10 wizards were trying to get through the daily assignment at Zultun dock and we were all having this issue on Bartleby. Jumped to Dryad and was able to target with individual spells again.