Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Open Chat!!

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jun 16, 2012
Hi, I have a question. Friday, June 16th marks the day I first made my Wizard101 account. At the time, I did put my birthday (31st of July) so does that mean I get my open chat on June 16th or July 31st? I would appreciate all replies. Thanks!

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
KaylaIronCaller on Jun 14, 2017 wrote:
Hi, I have a question. Friday, June 16th marks the day I first made my Wizard101 account. At the time, I did put my birthday (31st of July) so does that mean I get my open chat on June 16th or July 31st? I would appreciate all replies. Thanks!
Here's a copy from one of my posts.

It doesn't matter that you turned 18 in real life, what really matters is when you made your account, and what age you put on it. For example, if you made an account on February 25, 2017 and you put the age as 15, then you would have to wait until February 25, 2020 to enable open chat, when your account would then be 18 years old. I suggest you look at when you made your account, and try to recall what age you put down on it. If you don't remember, I suggest emailing Kingsisle. If the option for open chat is not listed under the account options area, then you still have to wait. Buying a membership/crowns will not make it show up if you still have to wait. HOWEVER, if you originally put down your age as 12 or younger when you made your account, then that account will NEVER get open chat. The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally. If you put the age as at least 13, then it is simply a matter of waiting.

As for your personal case, you only put down the age you were when you made your account, not the exact day or month.

Explorer
Jun 16, 2012
BrahmShadow on Jun 15, 2017 wrote:

It doesn't matter that you turned 18 in real life, what really matters is when you made your account, and what age you put on it. For example, if you made an account on February 25, 2017 and you put the age as 15, then you would have to wait until February 25, 2020 to enable open chat, when your account would then be 18 years old. I suggest you look at when you made your account, and try to recall what age you put down on it. If you don't remember, I suggest emailing Kingsisle. If the option for open chat is not listed under the account options area, then you still have to wait. Buying a membership/crowns will not make it show up if you still have to wait. HOWEVER, if you originally put down your age as 12 or younger when you made your account, then that account will NEVER get open chat. The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally. If you put the age as at least 13, then it is simply a matter of waiting.

As for your personal case, you only put down the age you were when you made your account, not the exact day or month.
Thank you Brahm! I don't remember if I am supposed to enter day + month (but I always do that when signing up for things) so basically that means I get open chat tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
I have seen many posts saying you have to make a credit card purchase after you turn 18 to activate the open chat That would be 18 based on the birth date you gave when you signed up.

Explorer
Jun 16, 2012
Jasmine3429 on Jun 15, 2017 wrote:
I have seen many posts saying you have to make a credit card purchase after you turn 18 to activate the open chat That would be 18 based on the birth date you gave when you signed up.
I checked the sign-up page, and it only asks for your birth year. And yeah, I know about the "making a credit card purchase" stuff, of course XD

Survivor
Jan 14, 2012
BrahmShadow on Jun 15, 2017 wrote:

Why would our account never get open chat if we turned the age required for text chat.

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
jamon239 on Jun 18, 2017 wrote:
Why would our account never get open chat if we turned the age required for text chat.
As from my post, "The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally"

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
BrahmShadow on Jun 19, 2017 wrote:
As from my post, "The US government makes it illegal for Kingsisle to store your age if you are 12 or younger, so there is basically no age even stored on your account when you first made it if you put one of those ages in originally"
Where does it say that??

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Patrick Ravenbane on Jun 19, 2017 wrote:
Where does it say that??
KI's Open Chat FAQ is outdated but you can email them if you want further proof.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
BrahmShadow on Jun 20, 2017 wrote:
KI's Open Chat FAQ is outdated but you can email them if you want further proof.
Yes, it does say about how to get open chat and KI does not store age but I did not see anywhere where is says US government made it illegal for KI to store your age if you are under 12. from what I read, it was KI's choice to not store age? Can someone please clear this up so it's not confusing?

Mastermind
Nov 08, 2015
Patrick Ravenbane on Jun 20, 2017 wrote:
Yes, it does say about how to get open chat and KI does not store age but I did not see anywhere where is says US government made it illegal for KI to store your age if you are under 12. from what I read, it was KI's choice to not store age? Can someone please clear this up so it's not confusing?
It is illegal for KI to store your age if you put it as 12 or younger. They didn't choose this; they were forced by the government. I don't remember the exact law that prohibits this, but you can probably email KI for more information regarding this.

Explorer
Jun 16, 2012
Patrick Ravenbane on Jun 20, 2017 wrote:
When you first sign up to make a new Wizard101/Pirate101, you have to put in your age. If you put in an age that is 12 or lower, they do not save your age and your account will never unlock Text Chat or Open Chat. If you put in ages 13, 14, 15, 16, or 17 you have to wait until your account's "age" (the one you put in when signing up) is 13. In my case 5 years ago i put in 13 now five years later my account's age is 18. and if you put in 18+, if you make ANY kind of purchase, membership, crowns, bundles, etc.. you will be eligible for open chat

SO YA VERY CONFUSING

Geographer
Jun 06, 2008
BrahmShadow on Jun 21, 2017 wrote:
It is illegal for KI to store your age if you put it as 12 or younger. They didn't choose this; they were forced by the government. I don't remember the exact law that prohibits this, but you can probably email KI for more information regarding this.
The law is called The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (or COPPA). We take this law very seriously and this topic isn't up for debate.