Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Will PvP Ever Be The Same?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 29, 2011
Are you tired of the way pvp is? Well I am. I do not understand why KI hasn't made any changes to pvp that will have people come back to their game. People are tired of this meta and times of pvp we are facing. This is why most of the pvp fan base has left the game. Why haven't they listened to the community? Ok they reduced critical! Great! But they still have not fixed several issues that need to be made. All over these message boards are great ideas and opinions that could make the pvp experience great once again. Which will encourage players to join back. Kingsisle was extremely supportive of the communities ideas in the past. For example, chain stunning was a huge issue back when pvp first begun. Ki was extremely fast on acting this issue along with several other issues. Pvp has had issue so throughout the entire game and they have listened to the community and for the most part acted on those problems. Sought a fix, or a correction. Especially cheating. KI took cheating extremely serious, and fixed it. What has changed? Please post your opinions on this post, as to start a discussion that they need to start paying attention to the issues and addressing them. I am sorry to say but a lot of players have left, and for the rest that are here. All we want to do is have the game we all once loved. Thank you for reading. Drop your opinions below.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Here is my theory on why PVP is the way it is, and why KI wants it that way.

Lets face it 95% of the player base are not critical thinkers who can manage a truly skill based match. KI needs to cater to the masses to sustain its income. Therefore the more RNG they add to PVP the better the chances that those 95% may actually win a match and continue to PVP.

If you look at forums for this game it is clearly evident that the majority do not even have the knowledge of the game to succeed in PVE without crying nerf every new area/world that is released. Let''s face facts here, this is a game for casual gamers so KI has to keep the play for both PVE and PVP at that level to attract the most players.

So is there an answer here for them to appease both crowds? I honestly do not know.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Let's discuss the so-called "golden age" of PVP, because honestly we all do not see it that way.

Back then I was the ultimate definition of casual player. I joined to help out and keep an eye on my then 10 year old son, and as many of us older players kept playing long after they got bored and left. I really had very little knowledge of gear/game mechanics, etc, but hey that PVP thing looks interesting so I tried it. Needless to say I was pretty bad, which I can deal with, the sad part was there was no way to really improve on my own. People were pretty nasty to me in the Arena, if I did actually manage to grab a lucky win it was somehow my fault I got lucky. So basically I got yelled at for losing, I got yelled at for winning, not a fun time to someone who is working 40+ hours a week and wants to play a game to unwind. Not a single person offered any constructive criticism or advice, 0! I just gave up and got on with my questing. I did however carry around a very negative attitude toward "pvp warlods" for years due to the verbal abuse I suffered in the arena and avoided them at all costs in the PVE part of the game.

Fast forward about idk 6 years or so and I "accidentally" met a PVP warlord who was not a total arrogant, know-it-all cretin (yup that's what I thought of all you guys). After playing the game with them for awhile (PVE), I thought hey maybe I can give this PVP thing a chance again and asked them for help. Needless to say, my experience with PVP from that point on greatly improved as I was now able to learn the basics from someone with experience and patience and a willingness to help. Sure the atmosphere in the arena was still toxic, but I had confidence on my side and was able to ignore it for the most part.

I guess what I am trying to say here is our behavior in the arena can go a long way to "fixing" pvp. Instead of new players getting turned off and just giving up, we have the power to provide a positive experience by our behavior and grow pvp.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
Jasmine3429 on Jun 3, 2017 wrote:
Here is my theory on why PVP is the way it is, and why KI wants it that way.

Lets face it 95% of the player base are not critical thinkers who can manage a truly skill based match. KI needs to cater to the masses to sustain its income. Therefore the more RNG they add to PVP the better the chances that those 95% may actually win a match and continue to PVP.

If you look at forums for this game it is clearly evident that the majority do not even have the knowledge of the game to succeed in PVE without crying nerf every new area/world that is released. Let''s face facts here, this is a game for casual gamers so KI has to keep the play for both PVE and PVP at that level to attract the most players.

So is there an answer here for them to appease both crowds? I honestly do not know.
That model is obviously not working in PvP today. Just look at the state of the Ranked arena. Queues of 15 or less in 1v1, barely any 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 don't exist. Thankfully KI seems to be realizing it's errors judging from the last KI live. Only time will tell.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2011
Yes, Well KI needs to realize this issue. It is sad to say, but if they don't act on these problems pvp will be vacant as a whole. Which is completely sad, and I would hate to see this game just keep falling to it's end.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
AngelAngleWeave on Jun 5, 2017 wrote:
Yes, Well KI needs to realize this issue. It is sad to say, but if they don't act on these problems pvp will be vacant as a whole. Which is completely sad, and I would hate to see this game just keep falling to it's end.
They have a few pvp updates for the next test realm, so perhaps they are trying to address things now. The problem really is catering to both groups, casuals and so called hard-cores (I wish KI had never used that term, honestly there is nothing hard-core about wizard).

Champion
Mar 05, 2012
Jasmine3429 on Jun 4, 2017 wrote:
Let's discuss the so-called "golden age" of PVP, because honestly we all do not see it that way.

Back then I was the ultimate definition of casual player. I joined to help out and keep an eye on my then 10 year old son, and as many of us older players kept playing long after they got bored and left. I really had very little knowledge of gear/game mechanics, etc, but hey that PVP thing looks interesting so I tried it. Needless to say I was pretty bad, which I can deal with, the sad part was there was no way to really improve on my own. People were pretty nasty to me in the Arena, if I did actually manage to grab a lucky win it was somehow my fault I got lucky. So basically I got yelled at for losing, I got yelled at for winning, not a fun time to someone who is working 40+ hours a week and wants to play a game to unwind. Not a single person offered any constructive criticism or advice, 0! I just gave up and got on with my questing. I did however carry around a very negative attitude toward "pvp warlods" for years due to the verbal abuse I suffered in the arena and avoided them at all costs in the PVE part of the game.

Fast forward about idk 6 years or so and I "accidentally" met a PVP warlord who was not a total arrogant, know-it-all cretin (yup that's what I thought of all you guys). After playing the game with them for awhile (PVE), I thought hey maybe I can give this PVP thing a chance again and asked them for help. Needless to say, my experience with PVP from that point on greatly improved as I was now able to learn the basics from someone with experience and patience and a willingness to help. Sure the atmosphere in the arena was still toxic, but I had confidence on my side and was able to ignore it for the most part.

I guess what I am trying to say here is our behavior in the arena can go a long way to "fixing" pvp. Instead of new players getting turned off and just giving up, we have the power to provide a positive experience by our behavior and grow pvp.
I agree with your views;
I am one of those 'nice' warlords' from first era, and always willing to help out.

A few years ago (3 maybe?) KI introduced Monitors; they could be in arena or commons at any time and it really seemed to cut a lot of the toxicity out.

But I have not seen one around in 2+ years now; seems it was a short lived solution.
So people are back to the old shenanigans with verbal assaults.

There are a lot of problems with meta, Agreed; but maybe bringing back the Monitors would at least cut down on the cursing around filters and maybe more people will give it a try? KI should have staff checking it out anyways, since it is always a busy topic here on the Forum for a long time now.

The Queue is always waaay too light for a year now. Most of my pvp friends hardly play anymore, myself included.

Still staying optimistic for now....

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
SilverbackMonkey on Jun 9, 2017 wrote:
I agree with your views;
I am one of those 'nice' warlords' from first era, and always willing to help out.

A few years ago (3 maybe?) KI introduced Monitors; they could be in arena or commons at any time and it really seemed to cut a lot of the toxicity out.

But I have not seen one around in 2+ years now; seems it was a short lived solution.
So people are back to the old shenanigans with verbal assaults.

There are a lot of problems with meta, Agreed; but maybe bringing back the Monitors would at least cut down on the cursing around filters and maybe more people will give it a try? KI should have staff checking it out anyways, since it is always a busy topic here on the Forum for a long time now.

The Queue is always waaay too light for a year now. Most of my pvp friends hardly play anymore, myself included.

Still staying optimistic for now....
Agreed that more player should be sanctioned for cursing etc, but I feel the biggest problem is the verbal abuse new players suffer just for being new and inexperienced when they really did nothing to warrant being yelled at. There seems to be no good way to be "new" at pvp and learn before you are tossed to the wolves.

Astrologist
Dec 31, 2009
Eric Stormbringer on Jun 4, 2017 wrote:
That model is obviously not working in PvP today. Just look at the state of the Ranked arena. Queues of 15 or less in 1v1, barely any 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 don't exist. Thankfully KI seems to be realizing it's errors judging from the last KI live. Only time will tell.
I have to agree, this is just my thoughts on why it is in the state it is in currently. If there were perhaps some easier way to be a beginner in pvp perhaps people would stick around and the community would grow. I just get the feeling that most enter pvp blind and turn around and say to heck with this. Having to face "pros" with gear, pets, tcs, etc right off the bat is a daunting experience, couple that with the toxic atmosphere and well only the most determined will stick around to a point where they can be competitive.

There has to be some way to grow PVP, but I have no solution for it.