Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How to properly use HeckHound Spell

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Sep 16, 2013
So I have just recently gotten the HeckHound Spell and I am having trouble using it, though I have talked to many different wizards who rate this spell highly and I don't know why. Am I using it incorrectly and why is it such a good spell?

- James Fireheart

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Heckhound is a Damage Over Time spell, similar to Scald and Fire Elf. When you cast the spell, nothing will happen in that turn; however, on the next three turns it will split its damage up and hit the enemy a total of three times. DoT spells are very useful in getting past shields.

For example, if you cast it to give 999 damage, the Heckhound would do this:

Turn one: Cast the spell; no damage
Turn two: 333 damage to one enemy
Turn three: 333 damage to the same enemy
Turn four: 333 damage to the same enemy & end of the spell.

Even if your enemy puts a fire shield up, at least 666 total damage is sure to get through.

What makes Heckhound special and very different from Scald and Fire Elf, is that it's also an "X-Pip" spell. For every pip you have, the Heckhound will deliver 130 damage. That means, the more pips you have when you cast it, the more damage it will do!

Say you're in a hurry to kill a mob with only 30 health, you can throw a Heckhound on him when you just have one pip and he'll kill that mob for you. But ... say you have a boss with over 1000 health. You can put a couple of blades on yourself, a couple of traps on that boss, then unleash the hound when you've got 7 power pips glowing bright yellow at your feet!

A fully charged Heckhound will deliver 1820 damage all on its own, without blades or traps. (130 base damage x 14 pips = 1820) It has the potential to be one of the most powerful spells in the game. And you get it at level 18!

Alia Misthaven
Rowan Ashcloud

Explorer
Feb 13, 2011
Use it when you have a good amount of pips. Using it lower than 3 pips is probably useless compared to what else you could do. Also make sure you aren't going to die any time soon, since the damage is over 3 rounds. One final thing: don't use it if you don't have to. If the enemy doesn't have a shield or another thing that would cause you to use a dot, use another spell. It'll do a lot more damage.

Champion
Mar 25, 2011
I believe it works most effectively when you have a high amount of power pips coupled with fire traps and stackable blades.

It is essentially like the balance spell judgement, but as an overtime.

The more pips you have, the stronger it will be. A combination of shielding and trapping/blading as you build up pips helps to set up and keep you alive in the process.

Hope to see you all in the Spiral!
Nathan GreenEyes 120 PvP Commander
Nathan GreenEyes 117 Hot in more ways than one (lol)
(Currently questing through Mirage)
Genevieve HexPyre 114+ PvP Warlord
(Currently questing through Mirage)

Nathan GreenEyes 110 Couch Potato Hoarder
Noah SkyHeart 50 Heart As Cold As The Winter Breeze