Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Monstrology and Teams

AuthorMessage
Defender
Mar 02, 2009
Although I'm expecting a massive influx of comments about Monstrology in the near future, I have a quick question/complaint. What is the logic behind having only the caster of a spell gain the Animus of a creature, and not everyone in the duel circle? For example, in Darkmoor, it rather bothers me that after 1.5+ hours to get through, if the cards don't play right, I could not gain the animus-- but the other people on my team do.

It makes support players struggle even more, and my ice doesn't want to need to farm DM another 15+ times to get my Malistaire.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2011
There appears to be a fundamental flaw with how animus' are achieved in game-play because it works against a cohesive group dynamic. As a life or a balance player in a support role you will receive no animus' because you did not hit the creature.

Therefore these support people will be forced to hit to get animus'. This leads to people getting angry because the monsters were not killed in one shot and more importantly people are getting killed because of lack of heals and/or buffs.

It forces players to be selfish and that is never good for a group based game.

Well there is my two cents.

A+ Student
Mar 31, 2009
rtdv on Apr 13, 2017 wrote:
Although I'm expecting a massive influx of comments about Monstrology in the near future, I have a quick question/complaint. What is the logic behind having only the caster of a spell gain the Animus of a creature, and not everyone in the duel circle? For example, in Darkmoor, it rather bothers me that after 1.5+ hours to get through, if the cards don't play right, I could not gain the animus-- but the other people on my team do.

It makes support players struggle even more, and my ice doesn't want to need to farm DM another 15+ times to get my Malistaire.
I agree that it would be nice if that where the case. Hopefully they will take that into consideration in the future. In the meantime, (while this isn't practical on probably half the bosses you are referring too) try and see if you can keep a 1 pip spell and hit them with that before traps etc start building that way you will get some animus for a successful attack even though you didn't defeat it. I agree though that it's not very fairly implemented for team play at the moment.

Explorer
Sep 25, 2012
DISCLAIMER: I play a fire wizard and go full aggression.

Agreed! There should be a ring or something that causes you to get the same amount of animus as whoever got the most, or at least something like that! A lot of players who are really bad at combat will either get practice through Monstrology or just have the minions do it for them.

Geographer
Sep 07, 2011
Yes, it favours hitters over support. Not good. An easy fix would be an animus enchant for buffs (like sharpen / potent) that would make every boost used on a hit worth one, and every boost used on a kill worth two. That would encourage team work. Alternately, credit could be given to everyone on a team, not just the hammer.

Survivor
Feb 15, 2011
Gemma Luna on Apr 13, 2017 wrote:
Yes, it favours hitters over support. Not good. An easy fix would be an animus enchant for buffs (like sharpen / potent) that would make every boost used on a hit worth one, and every boost used on a kill worth two. That would encourage team work. Alternately, credit could be given to everyone on a team, not just the hammer.
As long as you are trained to receive the animus all in the group should receive credit.

There will still be issues waiting for the animus enchant and reduced damage from not using another enchantment. Teamwork should be rewarded not punished.

Survivor
Jan 02, 2011
I agree. If it takes a team to beat some of these guys all the team should get credit. But then they are just starting and will have a lot to iron out. Love the system so far and have a few house guests already.