Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Earthquake needs a change.

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Oct 23, 2010
(Sorry if this was in the wrong part of the forum, I couldn't decide between Commons and Dorms.)

Well, to start, I'd like to say that this isn't necessarily a buff or nerf. I'd just like to see become a more new-player friendly class.

Myth is stuck with frog (level 22) and quake (level 42) for literally 58 levels until Mystic Colossus, while other schools (excluding life) are given a few other aoe spells in that time. Every school gets a level 48 aoe besides myth (life gets the aoe heal Rebirth). Fire gets Rain of Fire at 68 (although it's not that great of a spell ) and Sun Serpent at 88 (it could be argued that it's not an aoe), Ice gets Angel at 58, Balance recieves Ra at 58 (not gonna make an arguement about life since they only get their first damage aoe at 58). Now I'm not gonna start yelling that Kingsisle needs to add in any new spells, but I'm gonna request that Kingsisle changes Myth's second aoe: Earthquake.

Here's my suggestion: just increase Earthquake's damage. It's a rank 6 spell, not a rank 4. It should be dishing out damage at least bigger than Meteor Strike's base damage. Imagine if Triton did the same damage as Kraken, but just added an accuracy debuff. Doesn't sound very useful, right? For two less pips you can basically repeatedly use Kraken. Quake should do at least 490 damage base. Myth is supposed to be the third strongest school damage-wise if I remember correctly.

Now, there can never be a buff without a nerf somewhere. For the drawback to the change, I think Earthquake should lose it's ability to remove shields and traps (however, this could be considered a buff because storm traps and whatnot would not be removed). Myth has two spells to remove shields already, Pierce and Shatter (excluding Mystic's ability to remove them later in the game). You don't see many wizards running shatter or pierce. Removing Earthquake's ability to break shields might give some wizards a reason to use shatter or pierce.

On a slightly more unrelated note, myth basically is fire now (look at the Malistaire's Ire set compared to the Kan Davasi Victor's set)

Defender
Oct 24, 2012
I'll have to agree and disagree at the same time. Yes, Earthquake does need a buff in damage, maybe to say, 400. But losing it's ability to remove blades/traps? No thanks. That perk is what keeps Earthquake unique for the myth school, and losing it would just make the players that do use Earth (Myself included) throw a fit. So if it HAS to have that perk removed for a damage boost, I say no thanks.

~The Jade Conjurer~

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
Myth is an awesome school that might need some tweaking, especially in the minion department. I agree that Earthquake should have a bit more damage, but should still have remove shields/blades.

My Myth has never used Earthquake. Never ever. Although I am sick of using Froggy all the time, the spell can easily take out high health bosses with a few buffs.

I use pierce and shatter all the time. Honestly, they are much more useful than Earthquake.

Now, if KI can update Myth's use of minions, that would be awesome!

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
I also agree that earthquake does need a damage buff say like 435-485 range but leave the other part of the spell the same. Yes some of you may say it's overpowered but so what. So are other spells. That's the beauty of it's uniqueness and part of the game.

Survivor
Oct 23, 2010
Leicrex on Mar 22, 2017 wrote:
I'll have to agree and disagree at the same time. Yes, Earthquake does need a buff in damage, maybe to say, 400. But losing it's ability to remove blades/traps? No thanks. That perk is what keeps Earthquake unique for the myth school, and losing it would just make the players that do use Earth (Myself included) throw a fit. So if it HAS to have that perk removed for a damage boost, I say no thanks.

~The Jade Conjurer~
I only meant removal of the ability to remove traps and shields, not blades.

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
I just want to toss out, Myth is the only school to have a trainable spell with a second effect, that any school can learn, 2 spells technically, minotaur, and earthquake

Historian
Jun 17, 2014
spell idea, via crafting, or lore? 30% weaker Baskilisk but aoe... it hits, stuns, and dots... 8 pips

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
I'm with Leicrex on this one, I agree but don't at the same time.

It does need a damage buff, but having it's prime use removed would make the spell less annoying and really under-powered.

I'm sure every Myth who has Earthquake in their deck will be really mad if this happens.

Astrologist
Feb 28, 2014
Ryan Thunderhead on Mar 23, 2017 wrote:
I only meant removal of the ability to remove traps and shields, not blades.
That's an idea too :)

Defender
Mar 28, 2011
The point of Quake is the effects. If you just want an AoE, use Frog. If you want it bigger, enchant or buff more.
Earthquake doesn't need to change.