Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Is this even allowed?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 25, 2012
If you go to the leaderboards right now, you'll notice that the top like 7 or 8 positions are filled by a guy named Richard (obviously with multiple wizards). I asked around, and apparently he's using a technique called "Boosting"- where he enters a 4v4 match. What's wrong with that, you say? All 8 wizards in the match belong to him. An entire team, the one intended to lose, is level 1 or 2. By defeating them over and over again his pvp rank skyrockets. It seems like a great idea, and I considered doing it myself, because I'm really, REALLY bad at pvp, but something just seems.... wrong. Even if it's not against the rules, it feels like cheating.

KingsIsle, what's your standing on this? Is it allowed? Illegal? If so, what will happen to Richard?

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
supersaiyanunlimit... on Mar 13, 2017 wrote:
If you go to the leaderboards right now, you'll notice that the top like 7 or 8 positions are filled by a guy named Richard (obviously with multiple wizards). I asked around, and apparently he's using a technique called "Boosting"- where he enters a 4v4 match. What's wrong with that, you say? All 8 wizards in the match belong to him. An entire team, the one intended to lose, is level 1 or 2. By defeating them over and over again his pvp rank skyrockets. It seems like a great idea, and I considered doing it myself, because I'm really, REALLY bad at pvp, but something just seems.... wrong. Even if it's not against the rules, it feels like cheating.

KingsIsle, what's your standing on this? Is it allowed? Illegal? If so, what will happen to Richard?
if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, chances are it's a duck.

even if not part of any "official" rules, this sounds very much like cheating and i would err on the side of caution.

-von

Survivor
Mar 15, 2009
Just don't go insane with the rank/leaderboards. Boost until you have the badges you need to buy Diego stuff. Then do tournaments at level 10 and grind em till you are drowning in arena tickets. You can even do the roll again for a few crowns once the tournament is finished.

Champion
Sep 01, 2009
supersaiyanunlimit... on Mar 13, 2017 wrote:

I, too, am really bad at PvP, but I would never boost. First, it's cheating. Whether it violates official rules or not, it's cheating. Second, did I mention it's cheating? Third, why boost? To get stuff? The whole point of PvP is to use skill and strategy...sorry...the whole point of PvP used to be skill and strategy; now it's whoever had the most gold, wins. I digress.

KI has not clamped down on, or even addressed boosting, but they might. I agree with Von (there's a shocker ): err on the side of caution, and just stay above board when it comes to PvP. My theory? At some point, possibly soon, you will find yourself matched against a booster who has zero skill, and who has no idea what to do in a non-boost match. Said player will use treasure cards exclusively, with no reshffule, and you will win. And when that happens, say "Good match!," port back to your house, and dance happily about while giggling.

Explorer
Sep 25, 2012
Thanks for all the answers, ladies and gentlemen. You've given me a lot of insight on the situation, despite conflicting advice. I suppose it's time we specifically request an answer from the higher ups.

Roland SilverHeart, morals aside, is it legal to boost?

I'll either start reporting those I catch doing it or start looking down on them.