Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Bullying

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
This is something that i've wanted to post for a while, but didn't. Now I will.

I've posted before about scammers before, this time it'll be about bullies. This is a VERY VERY serious topic.

I'm sure we are aware of the affects of bullying. I won't get into that.

Wizard101 is mainly targeted towards the younger crowd. This means that more then teenagers and adults, kids play the game the most. Anywhere from kids between the ages of 5-13. The kids below the age of 13 are safe from the dark side of things. Some kids are old enough to have text chat. Some kids who are below 13 also might have text chat maybe because they might have older siblings who play the game and they all might share the same account.

These kids are not aware of the more complicated side of the game, like the best gear out there, good pet talents and all that. That's when they think they should ask the people around them. It's mostly when bullying takes place. Not by adults and teenagers, but by those who are older then 13, a fairly high level who think they are the best. When seeing these not-so experienced players ask slightly silly questions to the experienced, instead of being helpful they start insulting, and all that.

If you see someone like this, make sure to report them. They might not be using bad language but they are still doing something TERRIBLE.

Make sure to help the one who is asking questions and is highly in doubt of something.
Even if the question is rather silly and is common knowledge, answer it with the right answer.

Make sure to use kind words and tell the bully to stop. If they get out of hand, just report them.

You're doing a huge favor to the ones in need by helping them out! These bullies online are unknown, parents cannot do much in such a big game with thousands of players!

These horrible bullies are just crushing a poor kids confidence by saying mean and horrible things to them. This is a problem that will never be solved, but can be handled if we all play our part in it.

Please, do what you can to stop this from happening. Make this game a fun, happy, amazing game for EVERYONE.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
Mirajane7887 on Feb 21, 2017 wrote:
This is something that i've wanted to post for a while, but didn't. Now I will.

I've posted before about scammers before, this time it'll be about bullies. This is a VERY VERY serious topic.

I'm sure we are aware of the affects of bullying. I won't get into that.

Wizard101 is mainly targeted towards the younger crowd. This means that more then teenagers and adults, kids play the game the most. Anywhere from kids between the ages of 5-13. The kids below the age of 13 are safe from the dark side of things. Some kids are old enough to have text chat. Some kids who are below 13 also might have text chat maybe because they might have older siblings who play the game and they all might share the same account.

These kids are not aware of the more complicated side of the game, like the best gear out there, good pet talents and all that. That's when they think they should ask the people around them. It's mostly when bullying takes place. Not by adults and teenagers, but by those who are older then 13, a fairly high level who think they are the best. When seeing these not-so experienced players ask slightly silly questions to the experienced, instead of being helpful they start insulting, and all that.

If you see someone like this, make sure to report them. They might not be using bad language but they are still doing something TERRIBLE.

Make sure to help the one who is asking questions and is highly in doubt of something.
Even if the question is rather silly and is common knowledge, answer it with the right answer.

Make sure to use kind words and tell the bully to stop. If they get out of hand, just report them.

You're doing a huge favor to the ones in need by helping them out! These bullies online are unknown, parents cannot do much in such a big game with thousands of players!

These horrible bullies are just crushing a poor kids confidence by saying mean and horrible things to them. This is a problem that will never be solved, but can be handled if we all play our part in it.

Please, do what you can to stop this from happening. Make this game a fun, happy, amazing game for EVERYONE.
Unfortunately being rude or mean isn't a reportable offense, players following your advise " If you see someone like this, make sure to report them." will eventually get into trouble for false reporting.
My advise is to encourage those who are being bullied to use the "Ignore" button and tell them how to use it ( if they're inexperienced with this game. )

Mastermind
Oct 21, 2013
anecorbie on Feb 22, 2017 wrote:
Unfortunately being rude or mean isn't a reportable offense, players following your advise " If you see someone like this, make sure to report them." will eventually get into trouble for false reporting.
My advise is to encourage those who are being bullied to use the "Ignore" button and tell them how to use it ( if they're inexperienced with this game. )
Oh yes, my bad. I mean't to say the ignore button. Thank you for correcting me.

Delver
Jul 24, 2015
It took some doing, but I found Zeke's write-up of what is and is not reportable:

https://www.wizard101.com/forum/ravenwood-commons/profanity-vs-reporting-31318

Note that being rude is not reportable, but creative profanity (which often accompanies bullying) is reportable, and may get these players muted.

Illuminator
Aug 03, 2016
And if you feel up to it you can speak up for the one being bullied. Be careful not to escalate the situation but you can speak up and say it is wrong to bully people or please stop bullying that person.

They might false report you but the mods will see through that. If the false reports begin flying, tell the bullies that is against the rules itself.

If you don't feel up to confronting the bullies and asking them to leave the person alone, then you can still report them, if they attack consistently, or curse, or break other rules. And I disagree about bullying it is not just 'rudeness' it is an attack meant to depress and destroy other people. It is wrong.

Astrologist
Mar 16, 2012
SparkleTude on Feb 24, 2017 wrote:
And if you feel up to it you can speak up for the one being bullied. Be careful not to escalate the situation but you can speak up and say it is wrong to bully people or please stop bullying that person.

They might false report you but the mods will see through that. If the false reports begin flying, tell the bullies that is against the rules itself.

If you don't feel up to confronting the bullies and asking them to leave the person alone, then you can still report them, if they attack consistently, or curse, or break other rules. And I disagree about bullying it is not just 'rudeness' it is an attack meant to depress and destroy other people. It is wrong.
Yes, bullying is wrong, but rudeness and name calling doesn't fall under a reportable offense. Saying, "you're a dumb, ugly noob." isn't reportable. Saying, " You're a dumb ( curse around the filter ) noob. " is.
Knowing the difference helps you and KI.
Standing up against bullies, and showing that there are concerned players that will call them out for their anti-social behavior will help the bullied player feel less isolated. Unfortunately it won't change the behavior of the trolls.