Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical Hit and Block

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 24, 2009
Hey everyone, this topic that I'm bringing up might be old news since the changes made to the critical system were awhile ago, but I have recently got back into playing and I'm having serious trouble with this. Now, I could care less about the difficulty level of the worlds. I was able to solo most of the second arc worlds without any problems, even when their difficulty levels were pretty high, but back then the system hadn't changed. I got critical hits often, mostly on healing spells, and my block levels were pretty high. Now it feels like my enemies critical almost every spell, and I block none of them. I never get critical hits on health or attacks, either. Now I don't know if these aspects of our stats change as we increase in level or move on to new worlds, which is why I'm posting this here, but I need to know how I can improve my critical rate. I'm finding it incredibly hard to do any dungeon or even simple boss battles in Mirage alone and I'm quite honestly getting annoyed. I'm a Life wizard and I've always been proud of the fact that I don't need the help of anyone to get through the game. My damage has always been strong and I can survive alone, but now I'm having to rely on team ups to get anything done. I'd like to not die in battles so frequently, so how can my critical stats be improved for this world? I honestly can't stand the changes that were made to the system but I guess I just have to figure out how to live with them. Any recommendations for equipment or other tips from fellow Life wizards on this one? Any help is appreciated.

- Brianna SpiritBreeze, Prodigious Theurgist

Delver
Jan 17, 2013
Destroya SpiritBre... on Feb 20, 2017 wrote:
Hey everyone, this topic that I'm bringing up might be old news since the changes made to the critical system were awhile ago, but I have recently got back into playing and I'm having serious trouble with this. Now, I could care less about the difficulty level of the worlds. I was able to solo most of the second arc worlds without any problems, even when their difficulty levels were pretty high, but back then the system hadn't changed. I got critical hits often, mostly on healing spells, and my block levels were pretty high. Now it feels like my enemies critical almost every spell, and I block none of them. I never get critical hits on health or attacks, either. Now I don't know if these aspects of our stats change as we increase in level or move on to new worlds, which is why I'm posting this here, but I need to know how I can improve my critical rate. I'm finding it incredibly hard to do any dungeon or even simple boss battles in Mirage alone and I'm quite honestly getting annoyed. I'm a Life wizard and I've always been proud of the fact that I don't need the help of anyone to get through the game. My damage has always been strong and I can survive alone, but now I'm having to rely on team ups to get anything done. I'd like to not die in battles so frequently, so how can my critical stats be improved for this world? I honestly can't stand the changes that were made to the system but I guess I just have to figure out how to live with them. Any recommendations for equipment or other tips from fellow Life wizards on this one? Any help is appreciated.

- Brianna SpiritBreeze, Prodigious Theurgist
I use the Tetrus Khanjar of Purpose from Grandfather Spider and Rasputin's Charm of Exertion from The Rat to boost my block. To boost critical, I use the Time Warden Shoes of Triumph from Bort.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
Hi,
Sorry to hear you're having trouble in Mirage but it may help to know that you're not alone. In addition to Mirage mobs having pierce and staking blades as well as a high critical rate ... KI also has added a critical decay mechanic that lowers our absolute critical potential as we advance. (They're trying to wean us off relying on Critical, I think.) Right now, there isn't much of a solution available.

The strategy for surviving there has changed a LOT from what got us through the lower worlds. You should boost your critical block as much as you can, as well as your shadow pip potential. Upgrading your pierce may help you get through shields, which these mobs seem very fond of. Change your strategies towards lower-pip spells and use enchantments to kill quickly. Pack a few heals and shields as well - you'll need them!

If you can spend Crowns, the best wands at the moment come from Immortal's Lore, Ghulture's and Road Warrior crown packs. Immortal's Lore offers the very highest critical and block stats; Road Warrior has the highest pierce. At this level, all of them have "may-cast" potential.

Fusion Sun gave you good tips for dropped gear, although I'd imagine Grandfather Spider stuff is still out of your reach.

For tough boss battles you can try team-up, but sometimes that's a gamble.

Good luck!

Alia Misthaven, 116